WI antlerless tags go on sale this week

From what I quickly scanned on the counties, this "queue system" is mainly a public land tag lottery. Far as I can tell every county still has plenty of private land tags after the morning rush. Burnett county had 475 public land tags, and looks like they sold out right about 11:20 ish. Same county had 3800 private land tags and as of right now still over 2900 of those left. The other forest counties seem to be roughly similar. I don't have empirical data on this of course, but this seems pretty appropriate given the past few months observation I've had driving all over Burnett county at crepuscular times - the public lands (of which there is TONS in Burnett) are almost devoid of deer of any kind, and the private lands are loaded. Hope the system works at least reasonably well for the herd this year.
As of right now 5 of the forest zone counties have already sold out of private land tags. Had Juneau allotted less this year (1000 were available) this very well would have been a lottery for those tags.

Tip for the future... Just like how Big Snow Man mentioned he got his tag at the hardware store with no issues, my pops had his within minutes of 1000 am at the place he went. Looks like the lottery is online only while in store is still first come first serve.

I bought a conservation patron deal this year (first time ever). i just logged into the WILD system, selected the anterless zone2 (it was my only option) and was done in about 1 minute.

As of right now 5 of the forest zone counties have already sold out of private land tags. Had Juneau allotted less this year (1000 were available) this very well would have been a lottery for those tags.

Tip for the future... Just like how Big Snow Man mentioned he got his tag at the hardware store with no issues, my pops had his within minutes of 1000 am at the place he went. Looks like the lottery is online only while in store is still first come first serve.

Fair enough, probably most fair for the hunters if everything's an actual lottery. Flaws in the system aside, still hope it results in aggregate herd management better than boom-bust cycles, and helps even out the public-private discrepancy in deer numbers - again can only speak for Burnett on that statement but it is stark in this county. Private land is shooting in a fish bowl and public is dead sea, it's weird.

Fair enough, probably most fair for the hunters if everything's an actual lottery. Flaws in the system aside, still hope it results in aggregate herd management better than boom-bust cycles, and helps even out the public-private discrepancy in deer numbers - again can only speak for Burnett on that statement but it is stark in this county. Private land is shooting in a fish bowl and public is dead sea, it's weird.
I "hope" right along with you kpj, but I think it might be an effort in futility. The deer numbers on public vs private in every county, not just Burnett, will likely remain very skewed for a long, long time. The high quality, low pressure habitat is on the improved private ground and the deer know it, the state does nothing on their lands other than allowing "natural succesion"(exact words from DNR staff), which is terrible for deer habitat once things start to mature. By the way, I hunt public ground for one species or another in 4 counties, and that discepancy is the same in all of them, it might be a bit more pronounced in the northwoods, but it is the same in the Central Forest Zone as well. Another thing that will keep it the same is the abuse of the new call in system and guys shooting deer in one area and calling their tags in for another.

Still feels strange walking out of the store with just a piece of paper and nothing else

I "hope" right along with you kpj, but I think it might be an effort in futility. The deer numbers on public vs private in every county, not just Burnett, will likely remain very skewed for a long, long time. The high quality, low pressure habitat is on the improved private ground and the deer know it, the state does nothing on their lands other than allowing "natural succesion"(exact words from DNR staff), which is terrible for deer habitat once things start to mature. By the way, I hunt public ground for one species or another in 4 counties, and that discepancy is the same in all of them, it might be a bit more pronounced in the northwoods, but it is the same in the Central Forest Zone as well. Another thing that will keep it the same is the abuse of the new call in system and guys shooting deer in one area and calling their tags in for another.
That last sentence says it all. People will just shoot does on public land and call it in as private.(I saw this last year) Unless there is a warden catching you dragging it out they have no way to prove you lied.

Yup ^^^ ......:(

I miss the green paper. A lot.

I don't miss the back tags however.

I'd take back tags again to get the green paper back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been saying that since day one Brad, you're preaching to the choir buddy!
I honestly think I will still wear my backtag holder to keep my "papers" in. Got to keep them somewhere anyway?

I haven't bought any license yet this year. This will be interesting to see how all this new crap/printing tags works out.:confused:

Don't forget to carry a pen with you in the field. Tag must be validated by writing the date and circling either am or pm on it prior to field dressing. Then put the tag back in your pocket and wait until you are back at camp to attach it (doesn't have to be attached until you "leave" it).

I will have to remember to put a pen im my backtag holder.:D

Can't wait for the really cold days where the ink will freeze.

They couldn't have designed the tag so you can just cut it with your knife like the old tag.

They couldn't have designed the tag so you can just cut it with your knife like the old tag.

No, that would mean someone would have to test this process and make an improvement.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is what I said too. Or its raining. Pens don't like to write in zero degree temps.

Guys, the solution here is simply the NASA space pen. works in zero gravity, underwater, even absolute zero (-412 degrees F)

The DNR simply needs to mandate that every hunter carry one of these at all times with them. Wal-Mart unfortunately is sold out at the moment: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Fisher-S...54378&wl11=online&wl12=35285345&wl13=&veh=sem

$80 pen for each hunter is a way better solution than the old plastic green paper

:)

I work outside in the winter a lot. Do yourself a favor and get a sharpie marker for your pack. Pretty hard to freeze them and why will write in most anything.

Do you think the DNR will be smart enough to use the location of cell phones for when people call in their tags in and say they are on private when the phone is located on public land? It still doesn't "prove" anything but its a possibility. I know if I ran it that's what I would do, granted not everyone has a cell phone and coverage is not the best in the North Woods. Any thoughts?

Do you think the DNR will be smart enough to use the location of cell phones for when people call in their tags in and say they are on private when the phone is located on public land? It still doesn't "prove" anything but its a possibility. I know if I ran it that's what I would do, granted not everyone has a cell phone and coverage is not the best in the North Woods. Any thoughts?
Widespread use, not a chance. Targeted investigation into a known or suspected poacher, sure.