Why Pay More?

foggy

5 year old buck +
Just pried another stump and chunks of wood out of my King Kutter tiller the other day. I keep a pry bar on the tiller deck....as every now and again I "discover" some new rocks or stumps or some other treasures. Here I'm tilling an old logging deck for a food plot.

These KK tillers seem to be bullet proof. Why pay more?
tiller.JPG

How wide is yours? I have been looking at those for a while! Any + or - to them? I see Fleet Farm has your model and one that is orange not sure what the differences between them are except price.

I see Fleet Farm has your model and one that is orange not sure what the differences between them are except price.

The orange model is the "XB" model, it has CAT 0 spacing, but CAT 1 pins. I own one of these and I purchased long CAT 1 pins for it, so I wouldn't have to make my three point quite so narrow to hook it up. I have a sub compact tractor (John Deere 1023E), if you have anything larger than that you don't want the orange model.

I.E it is so narrow that I don't believe it is quick hitch(imatch) compatible.

The orange model is the "XB" model, it has CAT 0 spacing, but CAT 1 pins. I own one of these and I purchased long CAT 1 pins for it, so I wouldn't have to make my three point quite so narrow to hook it up. I have a sub compact tractor (John Deere 1023E), if you have anything larger than that you don't want the orange model.

I.E it is so narrow that I don't believe it is quick hitch(imatch) compatible.
Thanks for the info!!

How wide is yours? I have been looking at those for a while! Any + or - to them? I see Fleet Farm has your model and one that is orange not sure what the differences between them are except price.
Mine is a five footer. I have 25 PTO HP. Rule of thumb is 5 HP per foot of implement width. I likely could get another foot of width and be OK...but my ground speed may be diminished. So.....what is the point? 5 & 6 foot implements Re pretty common for CUT 'a.....and 4 or some 5's for SUB CUT'S. ...with some narrow three point implement mounts available for the sub cuts.

Damn Foggy every time I see post of your equipment the little green monster comes over me.

Damn Foggy every time I see post of your equipment the little green monster comes over me.

Grin.....yeah, I'm an equipment junkie. I grew up around the 'cnhinery biz (my Dad sold little Ford tractors back in the 40's - 60's) and I've always wanted to own some of these toys.....errrrrr items.

After retirement and buying my land......I became too old to NOT have the right machinery as I have some limitations (or so I tell the Mrs ;) ). I'm pretty happy with the tractor and implements I have accumulated and all that one can accomplish with these small implements. Too bad were not neighbors. ;)

FYI the orange XB tiller is a 4 foot tiller. There is also a yellow (King Kutter II?) 4 foot tiller. If I knew then what I knew now I would have gotten the yellow version. There is also a orange XBX version that is 5 foot. I'm not sure if that also has the narrow three point or not...I would assume so.

My tractor has 15 PTO HP, so I'm breaking foggy's 5 HP per foot rule. I'm pretty happy with my tillers performance once it is hooked up, though I did see it bog down the tractor a little if I till too fast at full depth.

FYI the orange XB tiller is a 4 foot tiller. There is also a yellow (King Kutter II?) 4 foot tiller. If I knew then what I knew now I would have gotten the yellow version. There is also a orange XBX version that is 5 foot. I'm not sure if that also has the narrow three point or not...I would assume so.

My tractor has 15 PTO HP, so I'm breaking foggy's 5 HP per foot rule. I'm pretty happy with my tillers performance once it is hooked up, though I did see it bog down the tractor a little if I till too fast at full depth.

Today's tractors with Hyrdo tranny's let you travel at some pretty slow ground speeds....thus allowing many of us to use bigger implement sizes or maximize the work via faster ground speeds if you have extra pony's. Not so much with older gear tractors.....as low gear would still be pretty fast. One reason snow blowers don't work so nicely on a gear tractor.....too much clutching. On a Hydrostatic tractor.....you just ease up on the forward speed and let the RPM's catch up with the load. Same goes for mowers, tillers, etc etc. Hydro is the only way to go with heavy PTO use.

In that folks are going to tillers over plows and disks in many (food plot) cases....todays tractors don't need the Ag-style bar tires and lots of weight to pull heavy loads. There is not the traction needs with PTO tillage or snow blowing. Thus today's lightweight and compact tractors. :)

For all you tiller guys, what do you about all the trash wrapping in the tines

For all you tiller guys, what do you about all the trash wrapping in the tines
If I have a plot where I'm worried about trash wrapping......I mow it with the rotary cutter first....then till. No problems.