All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who's working in the woods this weekend?

got down today to the property and decided to give ole green a bath, was grimy and dirty, and nasty in places. Phase inverter got me from 12 volts to 12o, powered the lift pump from the creek to the inlet on the pressure washer and it was game on. simple green , three passes and she was clean and cool. So I checked a plot, just dry enough to run the plow, hooked that up and on the last pass, hit buried treasure, no idea but most likely a boulder. Left plow there as the hit sheered the lift pin at tractor end of lower arm. 25 minutes looking on the net and I have 2 new ones on the way. No idea if I damaged plow shares,. disgusted i took a walk and planted some more sweet corn, took a look at other plots as well.

none in stock nearby so I guess I'm not tractoring in the woods this weekend, might if it isn't too dang humid end up doing some shooting lane, edges of plot work with the chain saw.

new pins will be here next week. two new will go on, old good one will go in the ammo box as a spare.

Last edited:
Got the tractor grapple finished, loader wedges all tightened up, mower slip clutch engaged, closed on the new property yesterday, posted it yesterday after closing, I'll update with additional pictures. Have a good safe weekend fellas. Happy Fourth of July! God bless America.

c57962b39c31155efec34ec990dceb9a.jpg

b58658f38e164d9cbc0954bd73f4c31c.jpg

Grapple diverter valve push button switch from a KTM (dirt bike). When you hit the switch it switches the hydraulic flow from the curl function of the bucket to the function of the grapple.

ab3aa211f377f7e27467dd4634253e53.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had what looks like a small tornado come through on my dad's place. There's about a mile long trail of damaged through various properties ending with my dad's barn. Luckily only the roof pulled off, no other damage to speak of. One of the roof sections landed flat and almost undamaged.

b25cc5ebc06eb277bd190cf02307fb5e.jpg

6f4d24324df19e3123d3713c09b39d92.jpg

93ad0efe897363a335d3e985142606ad.jpg

In Florida working on the water this weekend. But sheeze just got here its 11:00 pm and sticky.

Hope to have some shark stories if the sun doesn't make me a raisin.

Bill ... we are still waiting for that shark thread ... :emoji_sunglasses:

image.jpeg
Bill ... we are still waiting for that shark thread ... :emoji_sunglasses:

What a total bust. My son and I spent 3 days burning in the FL sun on the boat. All that cooking and all we got was a single barracuda.

Top hook was my grandson. He slammed the cats off the dock.

Got the pipeline cut mostly except for a few wet spots:

3b30dc6574e82f6a980e963045cb25f2.jpg

Then I got the tractor stuck and we pulled it out with the can-am:

8ca67a2b49e32fb21aba2acb24148446.jpg

Then my little brother decided to "just send it" at 2 mph and he got the can-am buried and we pulled it out with the tractor. To say the least, I showed him how to "just send it" afterwards with the tractor. He won't live that down for a few years.

fb9d01a3405282a39f2edc91c32ecce1.jpg

95e56f0282add4cd06e5aaa8892853e6.jpg

4a4710729a582331ef4ceb83fce34b22.jpg

Tomorrow is seeding, spreading, spraying, rolling, dragging. Can't wait. I'll update with some pictures tomorrow as well.

I worry about the effort, I think a lot of what you mowed will come back with a vengeance and overtake anything you seed unless you give it some gly

I moved one stand on Sunday and checked trailcams. The stand I moved was a muddy hang-on and cheap climbing stick setup. I'm a Lone Wolf climbing stick guy but I like the cheap climbing sticks for locations I use every year. The quad I purchased in February made this task so much easier. Otherwise it would've taken me multiple trips up and down a hillside. Clover plots are doing well. EW is about 4" after having to replant two weeks ago. Also got a pretty good looking buck on cam and no coyotes.

Yesterday put in another 1.5 acres of forage soy beans and added about 5 lbs of corn to the mix. I like some of my plots to have height in them to create diversity. Also planted another 0.75 acres of sugar beets and 1.5 acres of a clover, turnip (PTT & appin forage), & GHR mix.

Received about .25" of rain yesterday which helped.

I just scored at walmart, no didn't hook up with some trailer trash, I found the last 5 persimmon and asked an associate if they were on clearance yet, he grabbed his price gun, and wow, from 29.99 they marked down to 7.97 each! I will be planting them soon.

all grafted females, how do I go about ensuring a male is close enough to take care of pollination? Closest ones I know of anywhere close by are about a mile away.

I am keeping 6 of these in the backyard until dormancy

bill

I worry about the effort, I think a lot of what you mowed will come back with a vengeance and overtake anything you seed unless you give it some gly

Oh I have a 55 gallon 3pt sprayer with a 12' boom. It worked it's magic with gly the day after mowing.

I finished mowing Monday around noon, sprayed all future plots, then went and started spreading seed with a rented push behind spreader because I left my over the shoulder spreader at a buddies. Boy was I spoiled with this push behind spreader. I'm gonna get an ATV 12v spreader and mount it somehow to the tractor bucket. I will also be welding my cultipacker to my 5' 3pt disc. So I can spread seed, disc and roll all in one shot maybe this winter. It was awfully hot inside that tractor all day. Got the oats, rye and clover in, and through out some extra soybeans a buddy gave me. Feels pretty good.

887342bcb010b29d14ea27a699ba5dff.jpg

I like the idea of the 12 volt spreader, I have been watching craigslist for a used tailgate salter for seed and fert use. what model JD is that? I have a 1070

After the past 2 days, I am flat out shot. 22 hrs of some of the not so fun work that had been getting pushed back.

11 25ft trailers loads of branches and trees that were cut down in early may. Made one heck of a burn pile for next February
2 truck beds full of Russian olive logs stacked an drying to be split next year for fuel.
Should mention this was the wrong time of year for this job, 92 and humid. Just about keeled over, but the bud light was on ice so that helped.

Then some fun stuff;
Sprayed the grass for the new food plot,
Added some water to the watering hole, the fawns r loving it, they started using it 2 days after it went in. Things r looking dry for the next ten days here.
Finished mulching my new oaks.
Lined up a backhoe for stump removal in a week or 2
Replaced chips in trail cams

And finished by putting up a tree stand in a new location, should be a killer setup with a S, SE or SW wind

Even the dog was glad to see me going back to the office today. Don't think he got a nap in the past couple of days.
Tonight is a much needed night off
Then tomorrow, load the shuttle back up and make the watering rounds again.

ro tends to rot fast once cut, use it up quick before it is worthless and a mess. I did wok like that a few years ago opening up a road along a fence line that you could not walk through, dam near could not crawl through so I could access a key part of the property, knocks the tar out of you fast.

ro tends to rot fast once cut, use it up quick before it is worthless and a mess. I did wok like that a few years ago opening up a road along a fence line that you could not walk through, dam near could not crawl through so I could access a key part of the property, knocks the tar out of you fast.

Thz for the info, I was going to ask if anyone had an info on Russian Olive as a burning source.
Usually they are not big enough to mess with an mostly burn whole, But this situation was a little different.

It is stacked now, some of it was still alive when cut, some was dead. But not much.

Should I split and stack for winter this year?

And how is it burning wise, don't want to create an issue in the woodburner in the house. First time I have lived in a place that has one.

I would split stack and cover right away, might turn to dust otherwise... Sure feels dense and heavy when you cut it, but it is so fast growing.

Knee high by the fourth of July? Heck no, tis taller than I!
3918ff0cba30abb88e5fc52f758fefbc.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I like the idea of the 12 volt spreader, I have been watching craigslist for a used tailgate salter for seed and fert use. what model JD is that? I have a 1070

Be careful with these type of spreaders based on what you are spreading. I bought a new Firmco ...
http://www.gemplers.com/product/167711/Fimco-12V-ATV-Spreader

Mounting bars cannot be adjusted so very hard to mount to your ATV ...

Soy Beans bound the spinning spreader, some were too big ...

The mechanism to open and close gate has no mechanical control ... will do both when driving ATV

Great on UREA and seed like milo, etc so far ... wound be possible to do turnip size but hard to gauge due to the wide dispersion path. I have spread 1200 lbs of urea that i would normally try to do witn a chest spreader so I was very have with its performance there.

I will be trying it oats & rye this weekend.