Who is "popeyoung9" on QDMA?

My wife is gone on a girls weekend starting tonight so I'll apologize in advance for anything I post after 10pm tonight.

Is this where you wake up in the morning and say, "oh geez, what forums was I on last night and what did I post?:):)

I found the whole thread over there quite entertaining.

great thread. I wish I cudda responded to Doofus' post about not being able to defend himself. I wudda posted something about being banned from the idiot forum for stating there is no QDMA club in Pequot Lakes......and not being able to defend myself.....why should he? Then, asked if they ever got it launched even after SIX years have passed and they claim they have a club here.....but they don't. ;)

ON that site....it all depends about whom is cowering to whom or whom has hunted at doffus' place.

I guess I get a whole different impression from QDMA.I don't think it will be the downfall at all.It is not about everyone shooting a 5.5 year old buck.It is about providing the best habitat for the wildlife that lives on that land.Almost every piece of land has 4.5 or 5.5 year bucks on it sometime during the year as bucks don't just die when they turn 5.I have lots of pics of older bucks but just because I can't get them to walk by my tree doesn't make them a ghost.I think more than anything I got the wrong impression about ATH,I thought it was a forum about how to make better habitat for the land but I just haven't seen the info here that I find over there.

I guess I get a whole different impression from QDMA.I don't think it will be the downfall at all.It is not about everyone shooting a 5.5 year old buck.It is about providing the best habitat for the wildlife that lives on that land.Almost every piece of land has 4.5 or 5.5 year bucks on it sometime during the year as bucks don't just die when they turn 5.I have lots of pics of older bucks but just because I can't get them to walk by my tree doesn't make them a ghost.I think more than anything I got the wrong impression about ATH,I thought it was a forum about how to make better habitat for the land but I just haven't seen the info here that I find over there.
You have to realize that many of the guys on this forum are pretty seasoned veterans when it comes to plotting and habitat management, so if you are looking for basic info for the novice, you won't find it here unless you pose the question on the forum and have a thread for guys to post answers to those questions. Many of the guys on here don't "need" to ask basic questions, they have the basics down already. Of course we all can learn a thing or two, none of us knows it all, but we also don't drag out threads with page after page of the same info, get an answer and move on. Also realize that this forum is less than a year old and has quite a small membership, which is perfectly fine with me and many others on here. If a new guy comes onboard, and asks questions on just about any habitat related subject I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they will get some of the very best advice that can be found on any forum on the world wide web, bar none. Of course Habitat Talk doesn't have the amount of information that QDMA Forums have, that forum has been around a very long time in comparison to this site which is still in it's infancy. You aren't going to find huge 30 page threads of habitat information that go on and on about a subject that has been hashed out over and over with the exact same responses from 20 posters on every other page, the forum is too new and the answers here are shorter and more to the point.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to call out your advice - I was simply trying to point out that "different strokes for different folks". I'll take my swings at 4 year olds every year and some day I'll get an older one to saunter past - I just got to be able to make the shot when that happens and not pee my pants!

The thought that you were trying to call out my advice didn't even cross my mind. So, no worries there. When I see a topic/comment that I'm interested in, I often use it as an excuse to try to explain my thought process in how I approach management. As I'm always as interested in the thinking/motivation/rationale behind others' habitat & management projects/approaches as I am in step by step instructions. So, I figure others must be interested in it too. My response was nothing more or less than that.

Unless they are from me. then they tend to go on and on and on and on, saying in 8 pages what could have been said in 3 sentences
And I am personally Ok with that Steve, as I tend to do the same thing.;):D

You have to realize that many of the guys on this forum are pretty seasoned veterans when it comes to plotting and habitat management, so if you are looking for basic info for the novice, you won't find it here unless you pose the question on the forum and have a thread for guys to post answers to those questions. Many of the guys on here don't "need" to ask basic questions, they have the basics down already. Of course we all can learn a thing or two, no of us knows it all, but we also don't drag out threads with page after page of the same info, get an answer and move on. Also realize that this forum is less than a year old and has quite a small membership, which is perfectly fine with me and many others on here. If a new guy comes onboard, and asks questions on just about any habitat related subject I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they will get some of the very best advice that can be found on any forum on the world wide web, bar none. Of course Habitat Talk doesn't have the amount of information that QDMA Forums have, that forum has been around a very long time in comparison to this site which is still in it's infancy. You aren't going to find huge 30 page threads of habitat information that go on and on about a subject that has been hashed out over and over with the exact same responses from 20 posters on every other page, the forum is too new and the answers here are shorter and more to the point.

Yep what whip said X2

If you don't like what you see feel free to do one of two things...1) contribute here and "change" what you see or 2) keep it moving right along to some other site of your choosing.

Unless they are from me. then they tend to go on and on and on and on, saying in 8 pages what could have been said in 3 sentences
Well since you have literally written books on the subjects...I wouldn't expect anything less! Lol.

The thought that you were trying to call out my advice didn't even cross my mind. So, no worries there. When I see a topic/comment that I'm interested in, I often use it as an excuse to try to explain my thought process in how I approach management. As I'm always as interested in the thinking/motivation/rationale behind others' habitat & management projects/approaches as I am in step by step instructions. So, I figure others must be interested in it too. My response was nothing more or less than that.
Those are the responses that are thought provoking and keep the threads interesting, whether they are posted by Steve or anyone else. Thinking outside the box, as it were. I also love to see Steve's input, as I feel it is beneficial to see what a "professional" habitat manager does to keep his clients "happy". Also, Steve's information is more varied than what almost any of us could provide, given he does habitat work on many different properties each year. He can most likely give examples of an individual habitat improvement that he has done that has worked on one property for him and failed on another property.

I have the feeling that this site has more posters from the northern 1/2 of the country than the southern half and I like that. I'm not saying this site is regional as all are welcome.

In my way of thinking, the QDMA site has more of a southern leaning in thought and in habitat information.

That's fine with me,I have only seen a half dozen posts about habitat in the last couple weeks.Since us QDMAers aren't the seasoned experts I will go back over.By the way Steve is the only one I have seen that is in the expert class.have a good one

You're probably right Art but he showed up a few weeks ago complained about setting up his account posted a few pics of bucks and then bad mouthed the site. He has hardly given the site a chance and he obviously gets offended with negative QDMA talk so maybe this isn't the place for him.

Have you looked at the Native Habitat and Fruit Tree forums? If so, you'd have seen that many posts about habitat each day (or more)
I think he didn't want to see what he didn't want to see. You beat me to the punch.

Did I miss something? Where did the connection between "experts" and "QDMAer" come from? Just because I'm a QDMAer - doesn't make me an expert in ANYTHING! "Expert" comes from years of experience - not from being a member of some organization. I can name at least 3 of our own experts: Steve B, Maya and John W and if I missed others - I apologize. I'll be honest - his comments put a knot in my tail as a fellow QDMA member - he makes it out like if your NOT a QDMA guy you can't be an expert or know what your talking about.

Since I started the thread and I don't want to see this get ugly - I will ask John to shut it down. If you disagree - I apologize.

I added my harvest goals to the discussion on the other forum. I strive for Balance!

Let it get ugly. Screw that dbag. I have not been above freezing in over a month and the snow is waist deep. I need something to keep me going. The cuse is getting crushed, and the weather this week is more cold and more snow.