White Clover Varieties

Mike

A good 3 year old buck
Let me start by saying I really like Kopu II white clover its gotta be my favorite at this point. I am gonna re-plant one of my plots late next summer and am kicking around different cultivars to mix with Kopu II. Ideas at this point include Jumbo Ladino II, Alice, Legacy all white clovers. I was planning on adding a small amount of Falcata Alfalfa to create a nice blend of legumes. I do not like Birdsfoot Trefoil I had some planted at my place about ten years ago and the deer hardly touched it. Any input on the above legumes would be great.

We have a mix of Kopu II, Alice, and Ladino in a perennial clover plot at camp and it's doing great. We planted it with oats as a nurse crop and mowed the oats after the clover got going, then let the oats die down. We have a good plot using that method. It should last for 7 or 8 years for us with mowing / spraying for weeds.

We have another plot of Marathon red and Starfire red clover mixed with 1015 Supreme alfalfa and that also looks great.

Soil type, rainfall, and USDA zones are factors to consider.

I noticed that about the alfalfa last time I included it in a mix with white clover. I had a plot with Kopu II white clover and falcate alfalfa about 7-8 years ago and the first year or so you could see the yellow flowers of the faclata but as time went on it disappeared. likely due to the white clover spreading by stolens and choking out the alfalfa that need to re-seed itself. Might try some chickory in the blend for insurance during a dry summer.