when to plant conifer plugs?

If you get into the plug planting thing...you may want to beg Jim Timber to make you a planting tool ;)
I'm very happy with what Jim made. It also works for bigger plugs.

J-bird-have you considered broken strings of conifers between those clumps? Put the string where you want deer to travel after leaf fall.

Please show us some pictures if you do the fall planting!

I'm very happy with what Jim made. It also works for bigger plugs.

J-bird-have you considered broken strings of conifers between those clumps? Put the string where you want deer to travel after leaf fall.
I won't be hunting the majority of where the clumps will be - it will be a sanctuary type area. I will however keep that in mind if I expand the use of the conifers.

Please show us some pictures if you do the fall planting!
I'll take pics. If I can find what I'm looking for. MY DNR has bare root (100 for $38), but man that sounds like a lot more work! I may try them in a much smaller quantity thought. I would really like to find the plugs and get the bare root and do sort of a side-by-side as to how they do. Like I said - I'll take pics and post for sure.

100 bareroot evergreens are no big deal to plant. 1000 is another story.

100 bare root Douglas Firs are what got me looking at plugs. :p It's not the end of the world, but it's a heck of a lot more work than it needs to be.

I won't be hunting the majority of where the clumps will be - it will be a sanctuary type area. I will however keep that in mind if I expand the use of the conifers.

I'll take pics. If I can find what I'm looking for. MY DNR has bare root (100 for $38), but man that sounds like a lot more work! I may try them in a much smaller quantity thought. I would really like to find the plugs and get the bare root and do sort of a side-by-side as to how they do. Like I said - I'll take pics and post for sure.
100 bareroot? That doesn't even lighten the paint on the spade.

100 bareroot? That doesn't even lighten the paint on the spade.
OK - I'm a puss......is that better! In all honesty I want 500, but doing 500 bare root.....NO WAY! I planted bare roots as a kid...it sucked then, I'm sure it will suck now! I did find that NCR has 500 Norway that I hope to plant over labor day weekend and we will see how things turn out. Got'a get me a plug planting tool as well.

My DNR suggested using Norway and not the spruce - really didn't have a real good reason why. Anyone have anything against the Norway's?

Norway pine? They loose lower branches much sooner and turn into a deer dessert.
U gotta understand these forestry guys are programmed for timber production not habitat
Hey 500 will just start lightening the paint.

J-bird,

Did you call NCR to check inventory? I just noticed that it hasn't been updated on their site since April 29th.

Sorry - Norway SPRUCE. I am avoiding pines in general because of their tendency to loose their lower limbs. And yes I contacted NCR and they have inventory and quoted me a price already $.24/ea. Unless I hear bad things about these trees or NCR I think that's the way I am going.

My DNR suggested using Norway and not the spruce - really didn't have a real good reason why. Anyone have anything against the Norway's?
Obviously, we have determined that you were referring to Norway spruce and not Norway pine, but what "not the spruce" were they referring to? Whites? Blacks? Colorado Blues?

Obviously, we have determined that you were referring to Norway spruce and not Norway pine, but what "not the spruce" were they referring to? Whites? Blacks? Colorado Blues?
They actually suggested white pine. I don't want pine. I have seen way to many ice storms destroy pines here. I want something with a far stiffer branch structure to hold what snow we do get and to knock down the wind more. And I don;t have to worry near as much about the deer rubbing the piss out of them! They didn't say "Don't use X" they simply stated that they prefer Norway spruce because they feel it is better suited for wildlife needs in our climate. I think they feel I am far enough south that white or black spruce may not handle our summers very well. I know of a few Norway spruce trees in my area in folks yards and the like, but most spruce here are ornamental in use.

Gotcha! The biggest drawback to pines for habitat use is still the fact that they lose their lower limbs when they mature.

Gotcha! The biggest drawback to pines for habitat use is still the fact that they lose their lower limbs when they mature.
That and most folks have to protect them from the deer abuse while they are young - in planting volumes of them I have ZERO intent on protecting them.

With high deer numbers I've noticed more browsing on the norway spruce vs. whites when they are young and tender.....Just sets them back more initially, they'll still grow but takes a few more years to get above browse height and might have to trim some to get back to one leader. Going on about 5 years now and some are finally getting above 4 ft. I tried them just for something different but have gone back to using only whites which for my area grow well too. For your location, might be better with Norways if your DNR seems to think thats better. Maybe expect to see some browsing late winter on those years when spring just doesn't want to show up on time

White pines will grow much faster (by us anyways) and it will take many many years (20+) before the loss of lower branches becomes an issue. If you mix them with your spruce you could decide at that point to cut some of the white pines out if you wish.

...regardless if the DNR is thinking more about forestry than wildlife they do know what species grow best in particular areas. I'd bet based on their recommendation that white pines grow very well in your area..