What's for dinner?

20170122_092452.jpgFrying up some homemade scrapple for breakfast. My brother and nephew butchered 6 hogs last weekend. Made about 100 loafs of scrapple. They have a good recipe if my brother is making it. He said it needs to be like cake batter when you pour it into the loaf pans. Seasoned pretty well. My 18 month old daughter keeps coming back with her mouth open for another bite. I like it with a nice crispy crust. I eat it with pancake syrup sometimes.

Last edited:
I ate spam as a kid in the 60's for more than just breakfast, man that reminds me of it!

I can't get the taste for it anymore...

Good scrapple is great with your favorite mustard on it too. I like the spicy horseradish type of mustard. Makes a good sandwich that way.

Nice, that is old school!

IDK Mo..... I still like spam, one of the only things I can heat up on my Mr Buddy besides hotdogs in the duck blind!

The old Germans at my childhood church would do hog butchering and sausage making every year. My grandma would make pannhas which I think Is an old German word for scrapple. It didn't look good and smelled so strong, but it sure was good.

Got in the mood for some sourdough cathead biscuits today.

Bisquick
Flour
Eggs
Sour cream
Butter
Milk

Big, flakey, tasty...Bob Evens got nothing on these!

b1tetjB.jpg

m8ltERe.jpg

GeysTUX.jpg

Last edited:
IMG_0865.JPG IMG_0866.JPG
Grilled Chicken and Sirloin kabobs and grilled tenderloins from a yearling buck. The kabobs were marinated in an herb and garlic mix and the tenderloin in KC Masterpiece steak and roast marinade. We served this with roasted yellow squash and zucchini with mushrooms and my wife's homemade French bread. Added a bottle of Pinot Noir and it was a tender and tasty meal.

Well it wasn't really picture quality but my first jar of canned venison tasted pretty darn good tonight mixed in with broccoli and rice.

I like it on a cheap white bun as well. Great sandwich.

Me too.... It's good many ways, but my favorite is to shred it up in a pan (just the contents of the jar, nothing else) and serve it as "hot beefs" on a bun with mustard of your choice (I like something with a little kick).

-John

Me too.... It's good many ways, but my favorite is to shred it up in a pan (just the contents of the jar, nothing else) and serve it as "hot beefs" on a bun with mustard of your choice (I like something with a little kick).

-John
Try it with some peperoncini or peperoncini juice in the pan. I've done it in the crock pot and it gives it a Chicago style Italian beef flavor.

I'm noticing a pattern to my cooking. It starts out unhealthy and goes down hill.

Chicken and Dumplings.

Starts with crisco, flour and water (waters healthy)

image.jpeg

Rolled to 1/8 to 3/16 and cut into squares.

image.jpeg

Layer and refrigerate over night or freeze for about 3 hours.

image.jpeg

Boil chicken in salted water with onion til it falls apart.

image.jpeg

Use half the broth from boiling chicken and keep the other half in case you need more.
1 can gravy, 2 cans cream of mushroom and 3/4 cup chopped celery. Bring to a boil and drop dumplings in one at a time.

Simmer 1 hour, remove from heat. Add chicken meat back in and let stand 5 minutes.

image.jpeg

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!

My wife made homemade chicken and dumplings in the crock pot a couple weeks ago. Sometimes good old fashioned comfort food is the best. I know this is a habitat forum and I've learned a lot this year - but this "what's for dinner" thread is my favorite. I love to cook and I love to eat.

My wife made homemade chicken and dumplings in the crock pot a couple weeks ago. Sometimes good old fashioned comfort food is the best. I know this is a habitat forum and I've learned a lot this year - but this "what's for dinner" thread is my favorite. I love to cook and I love to eat.

I'd like to know about the crock pot method. Always threatened trying but was afraid the dumplings would break down to mush.

She just puts the dumplings in for the last 45 minutes and they're perfect.

I'd like to know about the crock pot method. Always threatened trying but was afraid the dumplings would break down to mush.

Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings

4 boneless skinless chicken breast or 6 chicken thighs

1 can chicken broth

2 cans cream of chicken

1 cup sliced carrots

1 cup sliced celery

1/2 package frozen peas

1/2 onion

crumbled bacon

parsley

garlic powder

salt and pepper

1 can flaky biscuits

Method

Place chicken breasts in bottom of crockpot

Pour chicken broth and both cream of chickens over it

Add in carrots, celery and onion. How much ever you prefer

Add in garlic powder, salt and pepper and parsley flakes over it, how much ever you prefer

Cook on high for 3 hours

Remove chicken and shred. Add the chicken back in with some crumbled bacon and the peas, stir together.

Break up the flaky biscuits, uncooked, and put in the crockpot. I break each roll in about 3 parts and just place them on top.

Remain cooking for another hour or so on high or until done. Enjoy!

I've been outside all weekend.
If it's going to act like summer, I'm going to cook like summer.

Spinning on the grill as I Type.

image.jpeg