What's for dinner?

Those steaks and morels look amazing. Love gizzards & hearts, problem is my gout does not 😲
Oh man, my mom has gout and I would wish that on anyone! She's very particular about her diet. Flair-ups suck for her!

How did you preserve the morels? I haven't had much luck finding a way to preserve them, so I eat so many two weeks a year that I'm done for a year!

Wash, cut, shake in flour, spead on cookie sheet and freeze. Then bag them so they don't stick together. I'm usually like you though and just eat them fresh. My oldest is away for college so I froze a bunch to coax him home once in a while.

Wash, cut, shake in flour, spead on cookie sheet and freeze. Then bag them so they don't stick together. I'm usually like you though and just eat them fresh. My oldest is away for college so I froze a bunch to coax him home once in a while.
I've never tried coating in flour before freezing. How do they compare to fresh morels?

Your steaks and mushrooms must be pretty good if your son left the college women and beer to come back home!

I've never tried coating in flour before freezing. How do they compare to fresh morels?

Your steaks and mushrooms must be pretty good if your son left the college women and beer to come back home!
Nothing compares to fresh morels, but they aren't bad.

The kid also shot a couple of limits of doves that weekend. So it wasn't just my cooking that brought him home. :)

We used to dry morsels by cutting them in half and placing them on window screen. Keep em in the sun till dry. Then put 'em in jars and they will keep for years.

In the hay days of dutch elm disease we would pick shipping bags full of them in southern Minnesota. Just find a dead elm tree and viola. I had so many in my yard that I quit stopping the mower to pick them....just mowed them down. Nice grey 'shrooms too.

We used to dry morsels by cutting them in half and placing them on window screen. Keep em in the sun till dry. Then put 'em in jars and they will keep for years.

In the hay days of dutch elm disease we would pick shipping bags full of them in southern Minnesota. Just find a dead elm tree and viola. I had so many in my yard that I quit stopping the mower to pick them....just mowed them down. Nice grey 'shrooms too.
You suck.

What's for dinner?

Apparently, Fig Newtons.

I mean, not real Fig Newtons. Walmart knock off newtons, I'm not made of money.

Dude. I know people that would shoot you just for saying that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude. I know people that would shoot you just for saying that…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I remember one afternoon....a buddy and I went hunting shroom's in his station wagon. We only had a few bags.....so when we got into the mushrooms we would fill our bag and empty them into the back of his wagon. The whole back end was filled with big grey mushrooms (mostly). Likely the equivalent of about 10 5 gallon pails....before we quit. We found some rather tall grass with lots of dead elm trees near Swan Lake, Nicollet County. Hands and knees.....could not go inches without picking a dozen or so....but you had to feel for them in that deep grass. It was really good back in those times. (early 80's??). We should have sold some.

My father-in-law and his freinds had about 50 window screens drying mushrooms at a time. Loaded up, and gave away lots to freinds. They traveled all over southern MN in the hay days of 'shrooms. It was really good along the Minnesota river where I lived.....but lots of good places. It was a few years before things started drying up. Thought those times would never end. Alas....I have not picked a mushroom in years.

I remember one afternoon....a buddy and I went hunting shroom's in his station wagon. We only had a few bags.....so when we got into the mushrooms we would fill our bag and empty them into the back of his wagon. The whole back end was filled with big grey mushrooms (mostly). Likely the equivalent of about 10 5 gallon pails....before we quit. We found some rather tall grass with lots of dead elm trees near Swan Lake, Nicollet County. Hands and knees.....could not go inches without picking a dozen or so....but you had to feel for them in that deep grass. It was really good back in those times. (early 80's??). We should have sold some.

My father-in-law and his freinds had about 50 window screens drying mushrooms at a time. Loaded up, and gave away lots to freinds. They traveled all over southern MN in the hay days of 'shrooms. It was really good along the Minnesota river where I lived.....but lots of good places. It was a few years before things started drying up. Thought those times would never end. Alas....I have not picked a mushroom in years.
Later, some chef's from New York would run WTB adds in our local paper. I think they were paying over $100 a gallon dried at that time. Some guys I know sold some......and others would collect wild ginseng and sell that too. Ginseng was / is BIG money.

A guy I went to HS with was a farmer.....and I'm told he knew how to encourage growth of the ginseng. I think he made quite a bit of money doing that. .....and he kept his mouth SHUT.

What really triggered the mushroom's back then was Dutch Elm Disease. Southern MN was loaded with big, old beautiful elm trees. And with Dutch Elm.....a very high percentage were killed. The dying elm's through off spores which grew into mushrooms. Find a tree that was just starting to lose it's bark.....and hunt there. A logger moved his sawmill into the area back then and bought up all kinds of timber from farmers before the trees died. He got rich....the farmers?.....not so much. He also bought old-growth black walnut trees during the hay days of walnut. The farmers had little idea of the value of some of those veneer logs. He had a large buyer in Japan that would come to the mill regularly to buy logs. Some trees were super valuable. I'm told individual trees may be worth like $100,000. Who knew?

I'm so old now......I got a story about most anything. lol