What's for dinner?

A repeat, but it's been 2 years since I made the walleye chowder. Time flies. I tripled the size of the recipe, which means it now called for 6 walleye fillets. So I used 20.

View attachment 27975

I tried your recipe Saturday! It was a first for me making fish chowder, modified it a little. It is no fast process took a couple hours from start to finish but was well worth it.
Made a side of stuffed clams to go with it.

sauR3rY.jpg
zYXoFLt.jpg

I tried your recipe Saturday! It was a first for me making fish chowder, modified it a little. It is no fast process took a couple hours from start to finish but was well worth it.

sauR3rY.jpg
zYXoFLt.jpg

Are the Walleye on Grand Lake biting yet. Starting a little here.

Are the Walleye on Grand Lake biting yet. Starting a little here.

The run hasn't started yet, at least I haven't seen many guys lining up yet on the Beaver and Coldwater creek, should be soon though. Ice fishing was a bust, ice never really got safe.

The run hasn't started yet, at least I haven't seen many guys lining up yet on the Beaver and Coldwater creek, should be soon though. Ice fishing was a bust, ice never really got safe.
I'm ready for that. I have 2 trips booked out of Vermilion. My FIL does it for a living in the summer. Take some buddies up and get get it, but any time I can get my kids up on the boat, it's a free ride and a freezer of fish. I feel like I married up.

Day 4 of quarantine. The supermarket didn't have any canned food. Forced to eat rack of lamb. A little home-made Malbec to wash it down.

received_644150333038898.jpegreceived_2526946994078658.jpeg

Two things that I can make at home that I have never had better anywhere else. My tuna salad and my spaghetti and meatballs.
Made up some meatballs using elk burger with a little sausage yesterday for the spaghetti, it turned out great leftovers were all gone early today!

DzvPj57.jpg

wWIm8Xr.jpg

m7s5hr5.jpg

gD1nHio.jpg

Another day with rack of lamb for dinner. This time with green beans and wild porcini mushrooms.
received_520126932025887.jpeg

Sorry, the wife was out of town and I was left unsupervised. Breakfast ... 2 chicken sausage patties, 2 eggs, 2 pieces of cheese ... and buttered whole wheat bread as a health ingredient ...

0315200814.jpg

0315200815.jpg

^^^Hey, the chicken in the chicken sausage is a health ingredient in my book.

sauR3rY.jpg
zYXoFLt.jpg

I may have to try this with some Mahi. Still have some in the freezer and it’s looking chowder worthy. I’ll be adding old bay because it’s seafood...

Here’s a what’s “not”for dinner just for giggles. Did this weeks ago before the world went crazy.

had a can of 40 year old ribeyes. They’ve been dry aging.

I had to see before tossing the can :)

961549C1-D6E8-4629-BD0E-99AE75B357E7.jpeg
06BF0A50-80EB-4418-94F2-C2E9D894E1ED.jpeg
Can said soak for 10 minutes. 20 minutes later they were still floating.. eventually they sank.

688AB5C7-DF8C-4AF4-A8B7-7BE9D5870CBB.jpeg

Couldn’t do it!

47258F02-4931-4D35-B508-C1EE285A2C31.jpeg

^^^ That's nasty. Fear Factor stuff.

Friday afternoon I had the day off and was in the cooking mood, since the wife and I could not go to Olive Garden like she wanted I started planning on Italian. I decided on making a big batch of manicotti for her and have it ready when she got home. Because of the CV buying/hoarding spree at the stores I couldn’t find any manicotti or cannelloni sleeves so ended up using the large shells.

Stuffing the shells was a little trickier than tubes so I filled a sandwich bag with my ricotta/mozzarella/Romano/parmesan fresh chopped oregano and parlsey mix, cut the corner out of bag and squeezed it in them easy peasy.
5JwS8ZLh.jpg

I spaced stuffed shells and spicy Italian sausage two layers deep in a pair of sauced glass cooking dishes. Topped everything off with more oregano/parsley and ground Romano along with sliced crushed tomatoes.
aLRBDZL.jpg
AGkz7lS.jpg

Hit it with a final layer of sauce and mozzarella and it was ready for thirty five minutes at 375 in the oven.
KHfk0hO.jpg

Timing was perfect it was ready when Mrs H20 came in the door, she gave it a 10 out of 10 !
I thought we would be eating it all week but the kids stopped by and it was gone in 24 hours.
wClf3Fy.jpg

Last edited:
I'm a sucker for Mcdonalds filet o fish during Lent. Had to improvise with a stay at home alternative. Hope the Cass lake chain in minny is open by July. #walleyesliders

20200327_191646.jpg20200327_201537.jpg

This is one of the most complicated meals I have made. It was well worth it.
received_195828311871266.jpeg

The meat is from a red deer I shot and a wild hog my friend shot, plus pork and beef fat. It was seasoned with grated onion, carrot, porcini, and red pepper, and spiced with thyme, paprika, cayenne, and black pepper, and conditioned with salt and milk.

The sauce on it is young pircini sauteed in garlic butter and blended with deer stock, sour cream, butter, and Norwegian "brown cheese" which is basically a dulce de lece made from sheep milk.

The veggies are tossed with a glaze of red wine, deer stock, black currant jam, Dijon mustard, and beef fat.

It was worth the effort.

I'm a sucker for Mcdonalds filet o fish during Lent. Had to improvise with a stay at home alternative. Hope the Cass lake chain in minny is open by July. #walleyesliders

View attachment 28660View attachment 28661

I'm a Filet O Fish fan too, your walleye McMortenson sliders look awesome!