What's for dinner?

Soon

Looks great Tree Spud! Processed meats are often overlooked but can be hard to beat. If the Hawaiian's can figure out Spam then we can feast on bologna. :)

Tonight we had home grown thick cut steak. No growth hormones, no antibiotics, no anything other than grass/legumes and a 6 week finish on corn. Flash seared on hedge (very hot fire), then set on the side to gather some smoke. Seasoned with garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper... served with kosher salt sprinkled in the juices for dipping.
6276f49da3744cbe9fa1e8f186592d84.jpg
fd298217231eddfc5abd0e0bc7106604.jpg
ddfad3cd8ec40c7e5629c6bb5d4fd0ed.jpg
591efbcd6401d2cd382ba2fad0b96a79.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

We just got our half of beef Friday. Same type of deal. I love thick cut steaks grilled over wood.

Looks great Tree Spud! Processed meats are often overlooked but can be hard to beat. If the Hawaiian's can figure out Spam then we can feast on bologna. :)

Tonight we had home grown thick cut steak. No growth hormones, no antibiotics, no anything other than grass/legumes and a 6 week finish on corn. Flash seared on hedge (very hot fire), then set on the side to gather some smoke. Seasoned with garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper... served with kosher salt sprinkled in the juices for dipping.

Cat ... what type of fire pit/grill are you using?

Cat ... what type of fire pit/grill are you using?
It's a store bought. I don't know the brand. I use it for small and quick cooks. I have another that's a tractor rim with a grill that I made to fit. I can cook a lot on it!
6f748061c1c974c3aa856747c6149e17.jpg
c29335583869049880cb77919dcbdb71.jpg

If any of you are ever in South Bend Indiana, near Notre Dame, you should check out a BBQ place called "Fat Cap". I'm out here for a baseball tournament with my Son. We went with another Dad and his kid, and just ate ourselves into oblivion. Get the smoked pork belly. I travel for work to KC and St. Louis quite a lot, and this is every bit as good as anything I've had in the famous places down there.

Getting down to the last of the backstrap, just salt, lawreys an alot of black pepper, rare - medium rare.
With the first zuc of the season. One day they r to small. The next, bout dang near to big to eat, sheesh. Lost one poor guy down the grate.

Attachments

• 20180716_190725.jpg
    20180716_190725.jpg
    361.1 KB · Views: 15
That's some good looking stuffed peppers! It's sitting in a bed of what?

In the fridge for tomorrow.

image.png

That's some good looking stuffed peppers! It's sitting in a bed of what?

In the fridge for tomorrow.

Cooked rice & browned venison with diced onions, spices (salt, pepper, paparika, etc., & chpped peppers ... rice to venison at least 2:1. Sprinkle some bread crumbs over.

Cook at 350 F for 60 minutes with foil over, cook another 15-30 minutes with out foil to crispen. Sprinkle Parmesan cheese over as it is cooling.

Last edited:
Bill - here’s my simple thick chop recipe. It’s awesome. Like eating a good steak. Juiciest pork chops I’ve ever made. It’s our standby recipe when we want a simple pork chop.

IOWA CHOPS RECIPE

Marinate in KC Masterpiece classic steakhouse marinade.

After marinating remove from refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for twenty minutes

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Sear on high heat for 3 and 1/2 minutes per side

Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes

Cover with foil and let them rest for ten minutes.

Bill - here’s my simple thick chop recipe. It’s awesome. Like eating a good steak. Juiciest pork chops I’ve ever made. It’s our standby recipe when we want a simple pork chop.

IOWA CHOPS RECIPE

Marinate in KC Masterpiece classic steakhouse marinade.

After marinating remove from refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for twenty minutes

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Sear on high heat for 3 and 1/2 minutes per side

Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes

Cover with foil and let them rest for ten minutes.

Searing them is the key in your recipe. Keeps the moisture in.

I’m going to to do the Italian version of that :). And make them less healthy.

I’ll post when I’m done.

I've soaked fish in milk after filleting and prior to freezing with good results, takes a lot of blood out. Recently read about "soaking" venison and figured I'd give it a try.

Anybody ever "soak" their venison steaks in milk or buttermilk while thawing? I did some overnight and just finished up eating damn near a 16oz piece. It was fantastic. About an hour before cooking i rinsed them and put a rub on. Cooked on low heat until the middle reached 120 or so then high heat for a couple minutes to finish them off.

I've soaked fish in milk after filleting and prior to freezing with good results, takes a lot of blood out. Recently read about "soaking" venison and figured I'd give it a try.

Anybody ever "soak" their venison steaks in milk or buttermilk while thawing? I did some overnight and just finished up eating damn near a 16oz piece. It was fantastic. About an hour before cooking i rinsed them and put a rub on. Cooked on low heat until the middle reached 120 or so then high heat for a couple minutes to finish them off.

People who know how to make great fried chicken soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight. The buttermilk is acidic and helps to break down some some of the tough fibers. They do this to make chicken fried steak (which is actually beef pounded) as this helps to tenderize.

Milk won't give the same results.

People who know how to make great fried chicken soak the chicken in buttermilk overnight. The buttermilk is acidic and helps to break down some some of the tough fibers. They do this to make chicken fried steak (which is actually beef pounded) as this helps to tenderize.

Milk won't give the same results.

I do this for “chicken fried” venison steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never tried it on deer but as kids we always soaked rabbit in milk.

Pork chops. These were a bit thick. I'll stick to 1 inch thick in the future.

Floured with some garlic powder added. Breaded and browned in a frying pan. (Just browned to sear the outside and darken the breading. I alway add shredded parm to my breading...

Bake covered tight with foil in a 6x9 at 350 for 45 mins.

Mix 1/2 c Marsala wine, 2 tbsp worchestershire , 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 c milk and extra sliced mushrooms. Spread over the top after the 45 and bake another 25.

Long grain rice to soak up the mushroom/Marsala gravy. A veggie never hurts..

OH that's for four chops. Up the gravey mix for more. And like most things it's better the next day after soaking up everything overnight in the fridge.

image.png

Last edited:
I hadn't made a good stir fry in while so I got after it today. Shrimp sausage chicken onions bell peppers mushrooms a few eggs scrambled a little rice a touch of minced garlic oregano pepper and a little Tony's with a splash of teriyaki.
Plenty for everyone with enough for leftovers for me to take to work.

At the start
yv6QlEo.jpg

halfway through
Cv8KBdj.jpg

the finish!
4J3kRNf.jpg