What's for dinner?

Brisket smoked with 1/2 inch thick bologna steaks piled on top.
The bologna makes great sandwiches with some jalapeño mustard slathered on top!
c520dbc8e0fb3abfa5f82b88101fa545.jpg
bb54f2ba0443238140c44288ff400cf5.jpg
4f015af221db0fcfeb5fe49bb1051284.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Treespud, where did you go in China? Beijing?

Well in 9 days I traveled over 6000 miles in China with my rep on high spreed rail sleeper train cars, train and a plane trip.

We started in Beijing and traveled as far north as Fujin which is in the Heilongjiang province (we were only a 100 miles from the Russion border) then ended up in Shanghai. The great wall was pretty amazing, hard to even comprehend from just pictures. Beijing is a city of 22 million people and Shanghai has 25 million. A small city there is 5-7 million, note that Chicago is ~8 mil for perspective.

Last edited:
Hope I can be forgiven for marrying the Mushroom forum with the General Section "What's For Dinner" thread, but hot and humid FL summer temps are making for some DELICIOUS breakfasts, lunches, AND dinners!

The Mrs took 3 pounds of chanterelles I picked...

3 Pounds Chanterelles.jpg

... and first cooked a quiche tempting enough to eat for all 3 meals..

Quiche Prep.jpg

Quiche.jpg

Next up was a chanterelle soup recipe published by Hank Shaw some time back that a couple of friends had raved about for years but we'd never tackled. Glad we did. Words honestly can't do it justice!

Mrs. prepping the base mix of mushrooms and shallots...

Cooking.jpg

End result...

Served.jpg

I'm down with the dumplings for sure...not sure about some of the rest, how was it?
Any neat fruit tree sightings?

Interesting you should ask ... here is a pic of tree that was grafted. Saw this on our way down from the Great Wall. Don't know if it is a fruit or nut tree.

graft IMG_20180609_162815 (002)_edited.jpg

Deer loin pounded flat an made into German schnitzel.

With a kale, mint, an cilantro salad from the garden. First fresh garden greens of the summer. Refreshing.

Good thing hunting season is coming up soon, freezer is starting look a little empty.

Attachments

• 20180701_183905.jpg
    20180701_183905.jpg
    276 KB · Views: 14
YES!!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Gets me in the mood for dove season!

Those are just off two of my plants. Hoping to make cowboy candy when the other 2 crank up production.

Next up was a chanterelle soup recipe published by Hank Shaw some time back that a couple of friends had raved about for years but we'd never tackled. Glad we did. Words honestly can't do it justic

Something about a cream based soup that is always good!

Bachelor night for me .. headed up to the farm and thought I would scrounge ... found a 14 month old frozen pzza in trhe chest freezer , added bologna and cherry tomatoes ... thank god I had that orange from lunch ... got my fruit & vegies in :emoji_slight_smile:

bologna pizza 1 IMG_20180706_194743 (002)_edited.jpg

bolgna pizza IMG_20180706_200915 (002)_edited.jpg

I've found it's prudent to avoid stuff at the farm that requires mayo that may have a questionable date. Pizza on the other hand has a 10 year half life. :)

Thick cut ribeyes and zucchini bake. We have zucchini coming out our ears. Wife made blueberry zucchini bread yesterday.

Chipotle dry rub pork chops, black beans and Rice, and grilled yellow squash. My first try with the black beans and rice. We will for sure be making this one again.

I have to cook my pork chop recipe. No one can make a pork chop unhealthier than me :).

Put 18 lbs of pork shoulder that was brined for 14 hours in the smoker Saturday .... shout out to Catscratch for the 1/2" bologna idea ... good lovin smoked processed meat :emoji_yum:

IMG_20180707_091658.jpg

Hard bark on them after 8 hours .... holding that juice and fat ... :emoji_wink:

IMG_20180707_202421.jpg

The wife will now start shredding and mixing the pork. Important to mix the hard bark, sweet soft center, and all of that pork fat back into the meat. We got 3 bags for a total of 15 lbs of meat.

IMG_20180707_212354.jpg

I have to cook my pork chop recipe. No one can make a pork chop unhealthier than me :).

We need pictures of the masterpiece ... we are not here to be healthy ... we want delicious food Bill ...:emoji_relaxed: