What to do with plot this spring

Gross144

A good 3 year old buck
looking for some advice on what to do with my plots.

Last August i limed, fertilized and seeded two 1/4 acre plots with a combo of white clover, chikory, radish and sun flowers.

We had horribly dry weather and nothing grew worth a mention. I thought that maybe the clover and chikory would take off this spring, as they have done in past late summer plantings, but i was at the property this weekend and nothing.

So the question is being that it is mid april should I try and plant something now this spring or wait till June for buckwheat and start over this fall. My front date is mid june i believe in lower New York by Binghamton. Problem is plots are so wet right now i cannot get a tractor or disc in there as it will only make a muddy rut filled mess.

Thanks for any opinions.

In the Finger lakes region maybe your clover hasn't woke up all the way yet. If not and you ultimately want clover there is nothing wrong with spring planting. If you have a hand seeder just broadcast on to the wet ground and plant oats or rye in a second pass.

If grasses become a problem clethodim will knock them back when it get dry enough to spray "if you have a sprayer" (it will kill the oats or rye also)
Butyrac will knock back most broadleaf weeds that become an issue. Both available mail order from keystone pest solutions.

Spring planted clover is not impossible just a bit more time and $ involved.

Is a special license required to purchase Clethodim?

Only in California.
However the DEP could if they chose, give food plotters a hard time if the crop we are spraying on isn't labeled.
Clethodim is a generic name. Both Dakota 2EC and Arrow 2EC are Clethodim and labeled for clover. But the price differance is big.

Butyrac isn't. But it is labeled for trefoil. Certainly there should be some native trefoil in there that your trying to enhance. If you get my drift.

Also read the labels always. Not sure on cleth but butyrac calls for crop oil to get it to stick to the weed. IME crop oil will burn but not kill clover. The hotter the weather the worse the burn. I have replaced crop oil with liquid dish detergent. Just a few drops per gallon. I always give it a good squirt. That's one of many Paul Knox tricks I learned along the way.

cc and an address and you are good to go, kill the grasses, leave the broadleaf. https://www.ruralking.com/tide-clethodim-1-gallon-selective-post-emergent-herbicide.html

ah heck, while you are there grab this out of the weekly ad....

x_large

Ruger AR-556 Sporting Rifle
$439.99 *After RK Rebate
RK Rebate: $60.00
Valid April 02, 2017 - April 15, 2017

Link

Add item to list
Description

.556 NATO

In the event of disagreement between the flyer and this popup, the flyer shall take precedence.

Last edited:
To bad they won't ship that to NJ. It has more than one "evil" feature.
Pistol grip and God forbid, a flash suppressor. Just one of those and its legal. :emoji_thinking::emoji_face_palm:

But with both its a dangerous weapon. :emoji_rolling_eyes:

No wait, I see a bayonet lug. 3 evil features. :emoji_scream:

Wait no.....folding stock, 4, four Evil features!

So what's a good herbicide for broadleaf control that won't hurt chicory? I have a a good stand of clover, alfalfa and chicory.

So what's a good herbicide for broadleaf control that won't hurt chicory? I have a a good stand of clover, alfalfa and chicory.

I don't know if one. The chicory is the problem. Butyrac won't hurt the clover or alfalfa. But I believe it will kill the chicory.

I've been wondering myself about Butyrac's impact to chicory. I planted a blend of clover & chicory this past spring.

chicory and clover will both tolerate light doses of glyphosate. I had trouble killing chicory with full doses for that mater.

Raptor is labeled for clover and will kill quite a few broadleaf species. I've been researching it for sedge control. clearcast has the same AI but is about half the price and available in quart sizes but isnt labelled for clover. It's labeled as an aquatic herbicide. Mali (aka foodplotdude) turned me on to it. I'm placing an order tonight and will let you guys know how it works.

For most, it is a mower.