What to do if there is an outfitter close to your slice of heaven??

I dont have an outfitter for a neighbor - but I have 15 adjacent landowners most 20 acres and smaller, who have no thought of passing deer so the next 15 acre landowner can shoot them - all with a corn feeder.

My answer, which has shown some success - out bait thy neighbor and kill the deer as early in season as legal - bow hunt, ml hunt - whatever it takes to get them before mg season. Use different bait that might be more attractive to adult bucks. Bait longer - getting the deer coming to your place. All bait is not created equal. And food plots produce and hold does which attract bucks.

Dont wish for cwd. My state did not ban baiting when cwd hit here. They banned supplemental feeding from Mar 1 through end of Aug. They allow baiting during hunting season fall and winter.

So as an absentee land owner, i have the choices of save up 3-4k for a giant gravity wagon type texas feeder or try something more appealing than corn. I know MI guys love carrots and sugar beets but have not seen them for sale in ohio.

So as an absentee land owner, i have the choices of save up 3-4k for a giant gravity wagon type texas feeder or try something more appealing than corn. I know MI guys love carrots and sugar beets but have not seen them for sale in ohio.

That is why I despise baiting. You can never out bait a local. As some point, you will start to out spend a good outfitter or 2 hunts in Canada.

As an absentee owner, unless you have trespassing problems, you will have a property that is quiet and becomes a sanctuary for bedding. Focus on developing more of that ... switch grass, adding conifers, maybe some hinge cutting, etc.

The one season where baiting should not have as high of an impact should be the rut. If you get the does to bed on your property the bucks will come. If you have a late season gun or bow hunt, and the baiting efforts die off, you could plant late season stuff like beets, radishes, and especially sugar beets.

Play the hand you have been dealth the best you can.

Those properties are small enough to where deer are not staying on them 24/7. They may go to the food on the neighbors, but a deer has survival at its core. Unless they're in survival mode, they will choose to spend their daytime in safe cover with food. Make your property that, and don't let them know you're hunting them. This summer you should be doing a ton of work to make quality food in cover by manipulating the natural succession of the plant community across your property. Make those places, and the deer will be there. They'll know where the safe place to spend their days are. That's where I believe absentee landowners may have it better. Because of circumstances, less pressure is put on a place than outfitted or locally hunted ones.

Hey I hear ya on the agents. My fault for trusting those guys but I literally stood on the porch of my place before making an offer and point blank said “are any of the neighbors outfitters?” He said why? I told them I hate them and don’t want to be next to one to which he responded no don’t think so…he’s a local who knew good and well what was up. Had a buddy standing with me who witnessed the conversation and we were both shocked when we found out the truth. Oh well life lesson…never ever never never trust a real estate agent.
My dad's best buddy retired from being a high school science teacher and became a realtor, he made it about 18 months before he quit. I asked him why he quit and his exact response was, "to make sales and do business in this profession, you have to be ok with lying to all your customers and I'm not cut out for that".

My dad's best buddy retired from being a high school science teacher and became a realtor, he made it about 18 months before he quit. I asked him why he quit and his exact response was, "to make sales and do business in this profession, you have to be ok with lying to all your customers and I'm not cut out for that".
Good for him. When I sell my place I will do it by owner. I promise I will shoot someone straighter than an agent and I know my property way better. Not to mention is there a more overpaid service than showing someone a property and emailing a contract to collect 3-6% of my sales price.

Last edited:

I should also note that my property has 1000s of acres of corn around it. Not the same as directed baiting, but is very close. It has significant impact on deer movement and where they feed from July through December. What we have is a lot of bedding, heavy cover making great sanctuary. I put in about 10 acres of food and put it in as transitional food sources between our bedding and the neighbors. Remember deer need a varied diet and browse is still an important part of their diet. As I stated before, very few of us have the perfect property and have similar obstacles. Like the marines say, just got to find a way to adapt, improvise, and overcome. 😉

You will always have neighbors, unless you own an island. If baiting is legal, bait draws in deer, until they are shot at, then they look for a safer place to hide, and eat. You cant stop them from crossing your property lines, but you can make your land more safe feeling for them. I know a lot of people suggest a sanctuary in the middle of your property, and plots outside, In your case, I would do that ackwards, put a couple feeders close to center, and also food plots, then sanctuary surrounding it. the deer will have everything they need on your property and not feel the need to wander in the neighbors war zones.

In my area there is a bunch of small land owners, and you get 3-4 people hunting 5-10 acre lots, they shoot anything that moves. That is mostly on the south side of me. The rest of the directions are mostly 40 acre and larger lots, and most of us will take a doe, and let most bucks walk.

If anyone has intel (beyond an internet search, tax folks or easy conversation) related to Franklin RE in OH, please let me know.
@gjs4 and @Garrett S Call 614-716-1000 and ask to speak to someone in their property and land department about Parcel #: A040040009700.

Baiting is just one part of management of a property. We dont even hunt our bait sites unless it is one of the grand daughters. I also have around 35 acres of planted food plots. I also have some bedding cover - but bedding cover is overwhelming around my land. I need something to pull deer from others bedding cover onto my land. I live on my property - so I am unconcerned about my activity running the deer off. I use my land for hunting duck, dove, hogs, alligator, deer, squirrel, turkey, and coons. I catch crawdads, bullfrogs, and fish. I have no problem walking, hunting by a feed site at mid night with my coon dog and setting over a food plot a 7 am the next morning 100 yards away. I have over 4000 miles on my 3.5 yr old ranger - all on my 400 acres. That should tell anyone I drive around my property - a lot. My dog has treed a coon at mid night and the biggest buck on the place will be on camera in that food plot 15 minutes after we kill the coon.

I was an absentee landowner the first 8 yrs I owned the property. I made it to the property about every other weekend. I could tell the deer were much more nervous with my presence when they were accustomed to no one being there. Now, they hear or see me every day. Now, they often just stand and watch. I dont want to own a piece of property I think I have to keep off of.

I used to be dead set against baiting - I abhorred it. Then, I had grand daughters - five of them over time. Never baited in my life but we started so we could up the odds for the grand kids and give them a better shot selection. They all start hunting with a crossbow - another bad word. There is actually some science behind baiting. It is more than throwing some corn out on the ground.

In forty years hunting this state, I have never weighed a deer that hit 200 lbs - and I have weighed a lot because I used to help game and fish at their check stations - back when we had them. We started baiting seven years ago. In the last four years, we have killed three deer that weighed 200 plus - and two more in the 190’s. Use the bait to your advantage and grow some bigger deer. We have killed three deer over bait in seven years, one of those killed by an adult. Food plots are where we kill by far the bulk of the deer.

I know - it can be frustrating when your neighbors who do no deer management other than opening a bag of corn are killing all the big deer. I think they are actually more likely to kill a big deer on their 15 acres, because they only have one place to hunt and they are there when the deer shows up. I have dozens of places to hunt - and picking where the big buck will be is a total crapshoot - even if I was hunting over bait. I fought that for 15 years, working my butt off disking, planting, bush hogging, spraying, watering trees, hinge cutting, etc - only for a fifteen acre neighbor to kill the big deer. I finally gave in. Baiting has made our hunting more successful, even though we dont typically hunt over bait. Feeding has also made our deer larger.

Last year was a very typical year for our hunting. Understand the average mature buck here scores about 110. We had three bucks on our target list - not because of antler size - but because they were mature deer. My son killed a 148” buck 1/4 mile from our closest bait site. A next door neighbor killed a 153” buck that was basically living on our place - killed him on his corn pile. And a mid 130’s buck was not killed. I found both of his sheds. He is back this year. Very typical year for us - we kill a third, the neighbors kill a third, and a third get away.

I wish like heck they would ban baiting - but our game and fish believes baiting is necessary to get hunters to kill the harvest goal numbers for the state. It is part of the playing field here - like a bad hop in baseball. I fought it for a long time and then joined the crowd. I think you dont have but two choices - accept your neighbors killing most of the deer you grow, or bait to try to keep the deer on your property as much as you can - and improve your heard while doing it.

Worrying about the neighbors is counter productive as long as they are not trespassing I don’t care what they do because there is nothing I can do to change it anyway. I focus on doing what I can to make my property more appealing to the game animals and really once the rut comes all bets are off as to what anyone is doing. Bucks chase does period best thing you can do is be in the woods during the peak rut.

In my experience, the rut is he worst time during season to target a specific buck - I am not saying it is a bad time to kill A buck - just a bad time to kill a specific buck. Our peak rut is around 15 Nov. The best time at our place to target a specific buck is first two weeks of Oct before they get does on their mind and mid Dec to Mid Jan - when they are trying to gain back calories after the rut. Of the twelve mounted deer heads in my house, two were killed in November, seven Dec, and three Oct - including the largest - which was killed first week of Oct.

The rut in mid Nov makes for fun hunting, seeing lots of deer activity including bucks, seeing some new deer, but very little target buck killing. It is a great time to luck into one. Post rut is our prime because we hunt mostly food plots and the big bucks are seeking easy calories post rut. This is in SW Arkansas and may not pertain to anywhere else.

I have a pile of cams out there with only a few cells. Since this thread started- i have been getting some up and comers making nightly appearances which is hope for some point (though surely not what I am after). Maybe it was just some negative energy I needed to rid.

In my experience, the rut is he worst time during season to target a specific buck - I am not saying it is a bad time to kill A buck - just a bad time to kill a specific buck. Our peak rut is around 15 Nov. The best time at our place to target a specific buck is first two weeks of Oct before they get does on their mind and mid Dec to Mid Jan - when they are trying to gain back calories after the rut. Of the twelve mounted deer heads in my house, two were killed in November, seven Dec, and three Oct - including the largest - which was killed first week of Oct.

The rut in mid Nov makes for fun hunting, seeing lots of deer activity including bucks, seeing some new deer, but very little target buck killing. It is a great time to luck into one. Post rut is our prime because we hunt mostly food plots and the big bucks are seeking easy calories post rut. This is in SW Arkansas and may not pertain to anywhere else.
I completely agree targeting a specific buck is near impossible but it’s that trophy from a mile away you never had on camera at all that I’m hoping for during peak rut hunting.

I completely agree targeting a specific buck is near impossible but it’s that trophy from a mile away you never had on camera at all that I’m hoping for during peak rut hunting.

This is a personal weakness of mine. I’m like swampcat and would really like at least one bit of data confirmation. Don’t need 50pics… but I enjoy turkey hunting when Tom’s gobble- not as much when they come in silent. Just me. If I have sightings or pics that support the chase or seeking phase pinch point all-dayer, it won’t be as hard to do that next year. Will likely leave the place an unhunted sanctuary without some supporting evidence a mature buck could be there. Again, just me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where I live, the whole world hunts like an outfitter. Create sanctuaries......keep out......hunt smart......reap the rewards.

Plus different areas and terrains lend better to seeing new bucks filter thru. I also don't see new ones often. Cameras say once every 3 or 4 yrs a big boy might stroll thru in Nov, and then totally disappear again. For us, what you see is what you get. Sometimes a big 1 comes in once a week or every other week, and it's just because our ground is on the outer edge of his core range.

Plus different areas and terrains lend better to seeing new bucks filter thru. I also don't see new ones often. Cameras say once every 3 or 4 yrs a big boy might stroll thru in Nov, and then totally disappear again. For us, what you see is what you get. Sometimes a big 1 comes in once a week or every other week, and it's just because our ground is on the outer edge of his core range.
You make a good point about different areas. If you don't have access to the daytime bedding areas, November is likely a tough time to target a specific buck. A guy who needs to rely on pulling them into his food plots will do better in October or late season.

I definitely agree with this. I had the same core bucks from July to January on my place. That is minus one or two a neighbor shot for some stupid reason or a random stray. i also think scale matters in this conversation. I guarantee I had neighbors who had the same bucks I had that they would call “their” regulars too. Obviously with more land the more comfortable you can feel about holding deer for a greater length of their year on your place.