What Stage Deer Hunter Are You?

What Stage of Deer Hunter are You?

• Shooter - Seeing game & getting a shot, miss or not, important regardless of gender/size of animal.

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Limiting - Seeing game not enough, filling tag is critical. Proving you can hunt very important.

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Trophy - Quality and size of horns matter the most, skill development & patience is a big focus.

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Method - Focus on mature deer with more difficult weapon (bow, muzzleloader, etc.) testing oneself.

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Sportsman - Deer camp & social aspect can be as or more important than just harvesting an animal.

Votes: 11 32.4%

• Total voters

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
Thought it would be interesting to see how everyone rates themselves as to what stage of hunter they are. No wrong or right answer.

More on the stage type descriptions can be found here ...
B&C 5 Hunter Stages

I am at the Method stage now and enjoying it. Still have not taken a mature buck with my muzzleloader yet.

I'm a mix and dependent on the situation. At home I'm a trophy hunter and prefer to hunt with a bow. I have a box of 12-14" 6-8 points. I just don't have a desire to shoot that anymore. If I need meat at home I'll shoot a doe. I am limited to what I call a trophy. My biggest buck ever was a 120. I consider a trophy anything over 100" from my area. My dad and I belong to a large hunting club in WV. He's been hunting the area for 45 years. I started going when I was in college at WVU and could get an in state license, 24 years ago. The hunting there has been pretty bad for a while. My dad and his friends still talk about the 90's when they would see 100 deer a day primarily driving. Two years ago I saw a small 4 point on the last day and that was the only deer I saw all week. That trip is for the comradery and meat hunting. I'll shoot a small buck there. There are so few doe there anymore that it seems better to shoot a small buck to try to get the population back up.

I voted trophy but my trophy is different than most. Depending on the year and the amount of time I have available to hunt, the trophy in a particular year may be an old doe, a scrub buck, or the far and few between in my neck of the woods a "good buck". I let way more deer walk vs my early years but sometimes it just feels right and I shoot something that puts a smile on my face. Typically I take the hard road to get there. Like passing on chip shots on a buck and then taking a rough shot on the same buck later in the season. Or taking a skittish old nanny at 10 yards with a crossbow from an open stand.

Trophy .. but I like venison so I shoot does as well. I also enjoy the deer camps in Missouri, Iowa, & Minnesota. Having a beer 🍺 and watching football after the hunt, can’t beat it !

Bear whisperer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

. To say one just needs to prove he knows how to hunt as the only reason to not be overly picky is disingenuous at best. Myself I fall in the limited category, not because I feel I need to prove I can hunt but because I don't care a bit about the horns, can't eat em, don't care. I've done both ways, passed on deer waiting for the"big" one. Ain't worth it. Shoot what makes you happy, no regrets and f what everyone else thinks

I am at the stage where everything I do is to benefit my kids and grand kids. I havent shot at a deer in two years - even though I could kill a dozen today. Havent shot a turkey in a year. I do still duck, hog, squirrel and dove hunt and kill them. I still tend to base my success on quality - but hard to tell a ten year old grand kid they cant shoot a 125” buck. I am happy whenever they harvest any game - squirrels to deer.

I was a shooter, got lucky and killed some really above average deer as a teenager, started working and being unable to hunt as much as I’d like, had kids and kinda jumped straight to sportsman.

I care less about killing deer every year but more about owning quality hunting land with each passing year. It’s weird.

I don't like being classified as any of those....lol. I'm more sportsman than method.....but method is an interesting category to me......and I may be that guy on any given day. Mostly I like having some family to share time with in the field......and let them chose what they want. I vary a bit from day to day. I don't need to shoot anything most days.....but not opposed to filling out my tag either.

The kind that could legally kill this deer today but won’t cause it’s over bait. So method…or hardhead?View attachment 57267View attachment 57268
I'd call that a hunter. Though I am conflicted with the food plots. Is there really a difference?

I don’t really see me in that list. The closest thing would be Method, although I don’t bow hunt anymore. Also, a mature deer to me is anything 4.5 or older. I hunt small properties and realistically if I let a legal (13” inside) buck walk I may never see him again. Since we very seldom kill a doe I need that buck if I’m gonna have venison to eat next year. I mostly hunt because I love it and I like to eat venison.

Lots good input here.

I like to hunt. That about sums it up.

Don't hunt over plots but do love to have them. Don't bait, but don't care if someone else does. Seldom use stands as they are too restrictive. Content to shoot a deer every few yrs but would prefer it to be a nice one when I do. Would rather have one of my kids or one of their friends shoot a deer than me. Dream about killing a monster someday.