Planting trees does not improve deer hunting

How much has tree planting (for cover, mast or otherwise), improved your deer hunting

• Total voters

g squared 23

5 year old buck +
I don’t have a good buck on my private property so I was out scouting public yesterday. My expectations are always low, but I found two bedding areas with fresh sign and miraculously no hunter sign. I began strategizing how to attack these areas in the coming months and years and began to wish I had 5-10 more of these spots. But finding and prepping those spots takes a tremendous amount of time. I normally put a tremendous amount of time into habitat work in the off-season and have neglected the time to scout. Then I wonder what I spend all that time doing 🤔. And I have an epiphany. TREES! (and shrubs). I have bought, planted and protected hundreds of the damn things, and they haven’t helped my deer hunting for squat! Sure they help with aesthetics and have been a labor of love, but with no tangible payoff. Kind of like dating a succubus. I have no apples or crabs or pears or nuts or acorns or anything to show for my efforts, and my deer hunting isn’t 1% better. 7 years into “managing” ~70 acres and the only projects with significant ROI are chainsaw work and food plots, those definitely have helped. So therefore my conclusion is that planting trees and shrubs does not improve deer hunting success. It’s not a total waste of time because I do enjoy it, but from an effective, time efficient land management perspective, it is a massive waste of time and money. Ok, you can fire away. Hopefully I don’t get my habitat card rescinded for putting this thought out there.

I don’t have a good buck on my private property so I was out scouting public yesterday. My expectations are always low, but I found two bedding areas with fresh sign and miraculously no hunter sign. I began strategizing how to attack these areas in the coming months and years and began to wish I had 5-10 more of these spots. But finding and prepping those spots takes a tremendous amount of time. I normally put a tremendous amount of time into habitat work in the off-season and have neglected the time to scout. Then I wonder what I spend all that time doing 🤔. And I have an epiphany. TREES! (and shrubs). I have bought, planted and protected hundreds of the damn things, and they haven’t helped my deer hunting for squat! Sure they help with aesthetics and have been a labor of love, but with no tangible payoff. Kind of like dating a succubus. I have no apples or crabs or pears or nuts or acorns or anything to show for my efforts, and my deer hunting isn’t 1% better. 7 years into “managing” ~70 acres and the only projects with significant ROI are chainsaw work and food plots, those definitely have helped. So therefore my conclusion is that planting trees and shrubs does not improve deer hunting success. It’s not a total waste of time because I do enjoy it, but from an effective, time efficient land management perspective, it is a massive waste of time and money. Ok, you can fire away. Hopefully I don’t get my habitat card rescinded for putting this thought out there.

Patience is the key weedhopper 😉🙂

Remember that habitat work is not just for deer, but for the health of the land and all of the other critters that use it. I agree it can get frustrating and there are times I and my wife have questioned my sanity regarding tree planting. (btw ... she questions my sanity on other things too).

"A man who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life.”

We got folks with 100's and probably a few with 1000+ acres. They find benefit for sure.

I'm a little guy. On a handful of acres in a far from remote spot. Part of a private hunting club with a few hundred remote, but not prime acres. And can hunt typical northeast farmland.

MY home used to have 25+ mature apple trees well past their prime. They have been dying and my hunting has been getting worse. Used to be able to trick to get a doe or younger buck. I'm happy to harvest what I can hunt, and not obsess over what I dont have for me to hunt.

When you have competiton for deer, having a prime area helps. Obviously low to no human pressure bedding / core areas is great. Having prefered food in a medium to low pressure area is second.

Deer will find something to eat. They just dont eat this or that. They are browsers and often of lower quality food.

You plant it, they will come. Now making them come other than 2am, that can be fustrating. You got happy does, you'll see horns during the rut. You got happy does, every few years there will be a mamma's boy who stays in the area he was born.

I don't have a single apple tree producing yet that we have planted. I will keep planting them nonetheless. I have an adequate amount of cover as it is so just chainsaw work for me.

without a doubt helps.

now some time has been wasted due to losing a percentage to critters.

but that was all part of the learning curve.

I voted 0-10% but it's a long game and the trees I've planted haven't been in the ground long enough to make a difference. I imagine I'd answer the same poll quite differently in 20 years if I live to see the results.

Planting trees for hunting? Over and over I've put myself in position to shoot the largest bucks on the place (that I know about). Not once have I ever considered that the trees or plots I plant would help in that regard. Everything I've planted has been to increase rack size, or just for the fun of planting. So... Zero percent for me on trees helping my hunting.

I think you have unrealistic expectations, as many of us do. It is easy to buy into the hype. There are no magic bullets. Habitat improvement takes a lot of time and resources in general. Expectation need to be scaled to the particular strategy being employed. Here is an example.

When we first purchased our pine farm, it was becoming a food desert with an overpopulation of deer. Previous owner did not spray the young pines when they should have. Older pines had canopied but still had years to go before a commercial thinning was possible. The young pines, which had produced all the food and cover for years, were starting to canopy shading out both food and cover.

We enacted and "Emergency Room" food plot program. Food was the limiting resource at first, no ag except pasture within 3 miles. Deer would emerge from the pines and feed in one end of a food plot while i was mowing it. As I would get close on the tractor they would reluctantly retreat into the pines and as soon as I looped around and headed the other direction, they would com back out and feed.

In this situation, our food plots produced immediate benefits for both deer and hunting as they were by far the best game in town for quality food. Of course they did so at a high cost, as summer is our major stress period and planting both spring and fall was needed. In another situation, one might get very little benefit from a food plot. At the time, we didn't know any better, and were doing traditional tillage with high inputs. We shot every doe we saw to try to get a handle on population.

As time went on, we began timber management. The older pines were now old enough for a commercial thinning. We thinned them and generated income. At the same time, we clear-cut a couple sections of low quality hard woods for bedding. The executed controlled burns on the thinned pines as well as the clear-cuts. This was an immediate benefit to our deer herd. It created both food and cover in the clear-cuts for bedding areas and in the thinned pines in the mid-term. I increased the BCC significantly at a near-zero cost and actually generated income in net.

Of course, in the short-term, the thinned pines were wide open with no food and so were the clear-cuts. As it happened we had the perfect storm that year. First, we had a mast crop failure, so our food plots were the only game in town. Deer were forced to uses them during shooting hours which made them easy pickings for our hunters. That year we doubled our average female harvest. This was followed by an unusually hard winters in our area. We had ice storms and more snow for longer periods than normal with lower than our normal winter temps. In previous years, we would get a rare nighttime picture of what might have been a coyote. We knew they were in the general area, but not on our place. Things changed that winter. We got regular pictures of coyotes, day and night. The does that survived were not in great condition the next spring so fawning was down and predation was up. We actually had to limit doe harvest the next year. Our population was more than in check.

It did not take long for the clear-cuts and thinned pines to produce great food and cover the next spring. So, we now had an increased BCC and fewer deer. This was great for the deer herd, but made hunting much more difficult. There were fewer deer and they no longer needed to use our food plots during shooting hours. Deer became much more sensitive to hunting pressure. They would simply feed on quality native foods in the clear-cuts and thinned pines and move to our food plots after dark. There was much less movement between cover and food during shooting hours. It clearly hurt hunting.

Over time we learned how to more sustainably produce quality food plots. We stopped tillage, built OM over time, and eventually stopped using commercial fertilizer completely. It took time to improve OM and restore the natural nutrient cycling to our plots, and they did not produce as well during this transition. On the up side, deer had native quality foods in our clear-cuts and thinned pines during this period.

Next, we began to look at permaculture (here is where your trees come in). We converted many of our small food plots into what I call "Wildlife Openings". We first planted them in clover and then planted soft mast trees in them and caged them. No special care for the trees after planting and caging (DR apples, pears, persimmons...). We also propagated native nut trees and planted chestnuts in other areas. We then let the "Wildlife Openings" go wild. No maintenance until woody stuff threatens to get too large for our bushhog. We then mow them and let them go again.

Like you, we have no benefit to either hunting or deer from these trees. We did not expect to for many years. It will probably take 15-20 years for our planted trees to get to the point where they produce sufficient food for attraction. Keep in mind, this aspect of our strategy was aimed at the long run, primarily the next generation. We are not spraying or pruning trees to push fruit production. The idea is to leave the land producing deer food in the long run with no maintenance. Much of this benefit from a hunting perspective will go to the next generation.

The only exception with trees has been grafting native persimmons. They produce fruit in the 3rd leaf after grafting and are producing significant volume after about 5 years.

It really takes a lot of time to analyze a property and figure out what impacts candidate habitat changes will have.

Thanks,

Jack

I agree 100%. I only have a few producing fruit trees - apple, pear, nectarine, peaches, and dunstan chestnuts. I dont believe a fruit from any of those trees has ever hit the ground. Coons get all but the chestnuts long before they are ripe. I have a lot of food plot acreage, and bait sites. I would just like to get some apples or peaches for myself.

I agree 100%. I only have a few producing fruit trees - apple, pear, nectarine, peaches, and dunstan chestnuts. I dont believe a fruit from any of those trees has ever hit the ground. Coons get all but the chestnuts long before they are ripe. I have a lot of food plot acreage, and bait sites. I would just like to get some apples or peaches for myself.
Can you put aluminum flashing or stove pipe around your trees to prevent raccoons climbing? I've heard that can potentially work.

Trees have definitely improved our deer hunting, but the 58 acres of prairie (broken up with several brushy fence rows) has done more for our hunting than all other habitat project combined. Thick Cover + does + food is a magic formula for mature bucks during the rut, and a properly managed prairie provides it all. The trees are icing on the cake for the prairie for 4 reasons: edge, additional cover, variety, and ice cream foods.

Even in winter I watch deer in the browned out prairie just feeding away. They eat a lot of the dormant forb inflorescence and graze for hours like cattle on the tender cool season grasses and forb rosettes that come up in the random shooting lanes that I mow in September. Where a lot of people go wrong is planting a butterfly prairie instead of a deer prairie - just say no....

Can you put aluminum flashing or stove pipe around your trees to prevent raccoons climbing? I've heard that can potentially work.
I can a few of them, and that is my plan this coming year. I am making sure to prune younger trees so I wont have a limb below 4 ft to facilitate placing some type of protection. I am not convinced a coon wont jump that high, but am sure the possums cant make that. I might have to cut saw teeth features on the top edge. It will protect against deer rubbing, also. It will be a home for fire ants, but I can pour some poison on them. And should be a good buffer when spraying herbicide.

Trees have definitely improved our deer hunting, but the 58 acres of prairie (broken up with several brushy fence rows) has done more for our hunting than all other habitat project combined. Thick Cover + does + food is a magic formula for mature bucks during the rut, and a properly managed prairie provides it all. The trees are icing on the cake for the prairie for 4 reasons: edge, additional cover, variety, and ice cream foods.

Even in winter I watch deer in the browned out prairie just feeding away. They eat a lot of the dormant forb inflorescence and graze for hours like cattle on the tender cool season grasses and forb rosettes that come up in the random shooting lanes that I mow in September. Where a lot of people go wrong is planting a butterfly prairie instead of a deer prairie - just say no....
What are your native cool season grasses?

A word of warning - if you live in the south and plant switch grass, you may invite a hog infestation. They also love that type cover

What are your native cool season grasses?

A word of warning - if you live in the south and plant switch grass, you may invite a hog infestation. They also love that type cover
Virginia Wild Rye and Purple Top are natives that they will browse. Some of the introduced cool season grasses that deer will browse are Timothy, Fescue, Orchardgrass, and Bluegrass. The tall NWSGs dominate these species and shade/choke them out, but they still survive to some degree. When you mow lanes in late summer and open the canopy, they get a chance to grow a little going into winter. The next year when the NWSGs come back, they shade them out again and relegate them to just surviving until they are given another chance to grow.

I don't have hogs.

Virginia Wild Rye and Purple Top are natives that they will browse. Some of the introduced cool season grasses that deer will browse are Timothy, Fescue, Orchardgrass, and Bluegrass. The tall NWSGs dominate these species and shade/choke them out, but they still survive to some degree. When you mow lanes in late summer and open the canopy, they get a chance to grow a little going into winter. The next year when the NWSGs come back, they shade them out again and relegate them to just surviving until they are given another chance to grow.

I don't have hogs.
Thanks - and yes, I knew you didnt have hogs - more a word of warning for those who may.

I have a lot of virginia wild rye in my bottom ground but none in the uplands. I am guessing yours grows in uplands?

My old place had hundred of sawtooths, fruit producing apples, pears and chestnuts. I honestly don’t think it made one bit of difference in the hunting.

It’s funny how when looking back I think about the time and money trees have pulled from me.

While food producing trees have basically been a waste, bedding has been marginal, screening pretty good and hybrid poplar stand trees/locations worth the effort…

We had a tornado come through here in the spring, took down several tractor trailer loads of mature white oaks on My neighbors property. I lost maybe 5-6 big white oaks in my woods and two giant old persimmon trees in the front yard. This hunting season I'm seeing nowhere near the amount of deer I use to see. Every evening like clockwork the last 20 years between 4:15 pm and 4:30 pm even in the middle of general firearm season deer would filter out of the woods into the fields and mosey on up to the Persimmon trees....This year it's not happening, because the trees are gone. So the right trees do make a difference, I only started my tree plot in 2020 with pear and crabapple trees....and this year I had a few fruit , but not enough to be a draw yet ,hopefully in a couple years my tree plot will attract some deer like the persimmon trees did.

Last edited:
Thanks - and yes, I knew you didnt have hogs - more a word of warning for those who may.

I have a lot of virginia wild rye in my bottom ground but none in the uplands. I am guessing yours grows in uplands?
It likes bottom ground best but I see it in uplands too - mostly where there will be some shade for a little of the day.

Deep, big woods Northern timber here...planting trees has not improved my deer hunting at all. Removing them has been the key! Removing mature timber for food plots has drastically improved my hunting experience. Removing old mature spruce and fir stands that were deer deserts works great to create new bedding habitat. It also has the added benefit of improving snowshoe hare food and cover. Taking down mature old poplars stimulates all kinds of new poplar regeneration.

Yes...I plant apples and all kinds of native shrubs and trees. But if I had to only pick one tool for all future work on my land...the chainsaw or the spade...I'll take the chainsaw. For planting trees put me down in the "worthless, but rewarding in other ways" column.