What kind of grass?

kabic

5 year old buck +
What kind of grass is this? I planted a BOB mixture that has sweet rye in it last year but I don't think this it. This grass is next to that area where there is a different grass growing (which you can see in the background) which I am pretty sure is the rye grass. Please don't make this a discussion about ryegrass unless you think the grass in the foreground is rye grass.

20160725_180315.jpg

Last edited:
I believe its rye grass. I have a couple of plots it apparently got into through contaminated seed, I have never planted it. I am on an eradication program starting this year because it has become thick enough it is impacting the desirability of my plots.

So does rye grass look different than sweet rye grass?

From the net ryegrass (this looks like what I have in the foreground)
988.jpg

Sweet ryegrass (this looks like what I have in the background)
AnnualRyegrass1.jpg

That is one of the real problems with the sweet grass. There are lots of weedy grasses that want to grow among your clovers. Which one is which? Any grass selective herbicide will kill the weedy grasses but also your sweet grass too.

You really have to be careful with ryegrass. You will often find it in BOB mixes because it is extremely hard to screw up and newbie's plant the see and see green stuff growing and think "Wow success!". Deer will use ryegrass but it is not very high on the preference list. It can easily become invasive in many areas. Yes, there are some experienced plotters that know what they are doing who incorporate high sucrose ryegrass into their programs successfully. It is something that I avoid and suggest others do unless you really understand what you are buying, what its specific characteristics are, and how it will perform in your area.

Thanks,

jack