What is the Highest Scoring Buck You Have Taken?

What is the highest scoring buck you have taken?

• Have never harvested a Buck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • < 110"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 110" 120"

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 121" - 130"

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 131" - 140"

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • 141" - 149"

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • 150" - 160"

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • 160" - 170"

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • 171" plus

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 200" plus 😲

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
It is just dang hard to beat those upper midwest deer. They have it all - tine length, mass, beam length, and spread. A really nice deer down here has 28” total mass. What is the total mass on those bigger deer?
My bigger one had 38 2/8" mass

Not my biggest. But the biggest 7 pointer I’ve ever seen. 144. Don’t want to be judged by what I shot, rather be judged by what I didn’t.

View attachment 67597
Incredible how wide the eye guards are apart on that buck, what a dandy.

I haven't hunted whitetail bucks that much. I was limited to the Ohio gun season for the longest time, so it was pretty much luck, whatever walked in front of me. I started archery hunting and took a couple modest bucks, which has encouraged me to spend a lot more time on habitat work and archery hunting, because I just enjoy it. Mostly I hunt red deer in Norway. Our subspecies is smaller that the giants on the continent, but I did manage a silver medal stag and a bronze medal stag in the same year when I was unemployed and hunting a lot here. Here's the silver medal red stag:

edited.jpg

Need a category for "I haven't scored any", though I did vote for 121-130 as a best guess for mine.
I don't travel to hunt deer. It's either my little place, my brother's farm or local game lands. My brother did get a 171-3/8 a couple of years ago at his place, so I guess a decent one is possible.

Attachments

• 20221202_201622.jpg
    20221202_201622.jpg
    609.1 KB · Views: 32
That looks bigger than 130 to me.

Took me 7 years from when I first started deer hunting to kill my 1st buck. Was just a small 10 point basket rack maybe 12" wide. It was a monster in my eyes as alot of hard work, patience, and stand time was required.

The big ones have been 3-5 years apart with tag soup and does filling the gaps. My bar is now at 150" as a minimum. That will be hard but as i primarily focus on bucks minimum of 4 years old, just need to get the brown is down crew around me to chill out a bit.

Maybe I should start a new thread, but to go along with this one. Do you have a "realistic" number/ goal for a deer you would like to kill? I have always had the goal to kill at least 1 over 180" with my bow before I have to hang it up. I feel like that is a realistic goal, but after 40 years of hunting I have never had a 180" in my sights no matter the weapon in hand so not sure my goal is that realistic! LOL

Maybe I should start a new thread, but to go along with this one. Do you have a "realistic" number/ goal for a deer you would like to kill? I have always had the goal to kill at least 1 over 180" with my bow before I have to hang it up. I feel like that is a realistic goal, but after 40 years of hunting I have never had a 180" in my sights no matter the weapon in hand so not sure my goal is that realistic! LOL
Been hunting since 1980. Never seen a 170" buck with my own eyes or on a trailcam of my own. I'd be pretty happy to be able to take a 165" before I'm dead

Been hunting since 1980. Never seen a 170" buck with my own eyes or on a trailcam of my own. I'd be pretty happy to be able to take a 165" before I'm dead
I had a legit 170" + buck on camera several years ago. He was an older deer that was becoming pretty predictable. Got poached on a neighbors before I had a chance at him.

Mid 160s is my highest scoring. I think I have 2 others that look bigger. Could've launched on a 200 a few years ago. Gambled wrong. He had to be the dad of the buck I shot this past season, as they both had the same exact donkey d!ck droptine in the exact same spot. I enjoy seeing everyone's pics. Post em up. You too homer. :)

Edit neither my phone nor my computer can post pics

Some great bucks guys.

I am going to answer the question slightly differently....here in the Northeast and particularly NW Mass, tagging a buck like the ones you guys are talking about will never happen for 95% of hunters. Probably wouldn't ever even see one in a lifetime of hunting.

But for trackers in the northern big woods there is a "score" that is the unofficial standard of a "trophy". A 200 lb. buck is that standard, regardless of antler size. You'll often hear trackers passing on bucks that "aren't big enough" with reference to their body mass, not antler mass. I've always found it to be an interesting regional variation.

I've never scored a buck, but I doubt I've ever shot one that would make it over 100. 😆

Biggest is maybe 130...if it had both sides. Saw one broken after I shot it. I would say more towards Natty I think. Lbs not horns. Horns never really didn't for me I guess.cool to look at, but taste horrible and hard on your teeth

The year of 2013 was when my habitat transformation on what was a former cattle farm started blossoming. I had worked extremely hard for a long time bringing about the transformation. For the first time in my life I had big bucks on my own property and was set up pretty well to hunt them.

At that time there was a local sporting goods store that had a big deer contest every year. I had never entered that contest, but a friend talked me into signing up. I won the contest that year, and over the next few years either won or came in second almost 50% of the time. I would still be entering, but at some point the store changed hands, and the contest ended.

Two good things came from that contest:

(1) I could see that I was competitive for my area, because lots of hard-core hunters with much more land than me would enter every year. It gave me the incentive to work harder and hunt harder - not because of the prize money, but because I was accomplishing something that was important to me.

(2) Habitat work has become one of my primary means of getting good exercise. Any extra incentive like that contest can be just a little more reason to get up off your rear end and get to moving. I miss that part of it. I guess that's one reason I post so much on this forum - conversing with like-minded people is a good incentive as well.

Last edited:
6 over 200" plus a 195" gross 10 pt that nets book, a 31 1/2" wide inside spread12 that grosses 188 nets 178 { One of the widest net B&C bucks recorded} , a 7x7 that nets, and a 28" wide 12 pt that nets. Never entered any but have had several scored by official B& C scorers. Have passed up a few over 200 the last few years. Enjoy watching them grow old.

Just got this one back from the taxidermist. 142 2/8 when harvested. I’ve seen larger ones on our farm, but this is my best-to-date. It was harvested in the forests of central Missouri.

Image 8-8-24 at 10.34 AM.jpeg

Last edited: