What is the Highest Scoring Buck You Have Taken?

What is the highest scoring buck you have taken?

• Have never harvested a Buck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • < 110"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 110" 120"

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 121" - 130"

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 131" - 140"

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • 141" - 149"

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • 150" - 160"

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • 160" - 170"

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • 171" plus

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 200" plus 😲

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters
150-1/8. My first buck in 1999.
be2a7db616ebd1c6053b9b84c8ca2f06.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

150-1/8. My first buck in 1999.
be2a7db616ebd1c6053b9b84c8ca2f06.jpg

Freaking studs. And somehow you made what can only be a couple years ago look like 1982 in that one pic!

Freaking studs. And somehow you made what can only be a couple years ago look like 1982 in that one pic!

That bigger buck was killed when it was COLD! Cold for here anyway. -3 when I left the house that morning. Dad bailed on me, but drove by every hour to pick me up if I was by the road. Stuck it out and killed him after 3 hours. Still single digits in that pic. Paid off.

I grew up in Southern MN near the Minnesota River Valley. Did LOTS of pheasant and duck hunting and a little deer hunting there. As a kid....the bird hunting I have done was nothing short of phenomenal.....but we never really knew it at the time. It was a bit unusual to hunt deer there if you didn't want to drive 'em and party hunt (I didn't want to do that) and if you didn't own decent property to hunt there. A group of us started doing a northern MN trip to hunt deer each fall....and we hunted several different places over the years (Aggisiz, Beltrami, Cass county, Mora area and others). It was more of a deer camp comaradity in those years with lots of card playing and beer drinking, etc. Fun long weekends with the boys. We got a few deer....but we were not fussy about the quality in those days.....we were just meat hunters out for a good time.

I suppose I like the freedom of public land hunts in remote areas and trying to learn what we could in a few days. And...occasionally we would see a great buck......but more often we were glad to get some meat on the hook. I suppose we got more serious about a decent buck during the early 80's.....when the deer populations plummeted in the North country. None the less.....I liked the pine tree country of the north and have always gravitated to the North. Still prefer to hunt this area over other areas....even tho I know the "numbers" are not up to trophy standards by many.

We've killed a few decent bucks by our standards.....but nothing much according to Iowa standards or even Southern MN standards. I have a decent 10 point buck on the wall that has never seen a food plot or had a taste of planted crops. He weighed over 200 field dressed and was a trophy by north woods standards. Fun.

Would I like to kill big bucks? Sure!.....and there are a few dandy's that are taken around here each year. But plentiful large bucks just do not happen in my hood. If you have an opportunity at a decent 10'er each year.....you'd be a happy camper around my place. It is what it is.

I can afford to go on a deer trip to many places that would assure a good chance at a decent scoring buck. I prefer to hunt my own place with my family and freinds. I've done a few elk and antelope hunts and self guided on moose and mule deer over the years. All fun...not much trophy quality results in those efforts tho.

For a long time.....I had planned to do a Alaskan or Canadian Moose hunt.....and would liked to have taken a wall hanger in Alaska. I suppose such a trip today would cost about 40 to 50 k plus with guide and trophy fees, taxidermy, shipping etc. I have no place to put such a critter these days....and just do not see the sense in shooting an animal like that if you cannot enjoy the trophy it would yield. I suppose you could hang it in a bar someplace.....no thanks. No longer an interest to me.....plus you gotta have younger legs than I got these days. lol. We will let the young bucks do these things. Every now and again I still feel the call of the wild.....it always passes. Smile.

Last edited:
Never scored a whitetail but I’d guess 110-120. I’m a shitty whitetail hunter and don’t care much to travel for bigger deer. Would rather be chasing elk, muleys, or something else out west if I’m leaving home.

I have had my land now for 3 seasons. Have not a single picture of a 140” buck yet. I don’t know why.. poaching? Age? Stress? Intensive high grading? I think it’s probably all of the above.

Last edited:
This will be my 47th season. Having lived and hunted in western Pa my entire life. When I started it was something to even see a deer in my area and anything bigger than 100” was a giant. Now the dang things are everywhere and with the implementation of antler restrictions the chances of something over 130 are a lot better but it’s still nothing like the midwest.

20231126_231208.jpg
20240814_175448.jpg

181 4/8" WI rifle 2023

image0.jpeg
158 1/8" 8 pointer 2022 WI muzzle loader.
When side by side with the 2023 buck, he's much more impressive, IMO.

20240822_211127.jpg

View attachment 67584
View attachment 67586

181 4/8" WI rifle 2023

View attachment 67585
158 1/8" 8 pointer 2022 WI muzzle loader.
When side by side with the 2023 buck, he's much more impressive, IMO.

View attachment 67588
Wide bucks, especially when paired with banana tines, like your 8, are hard to beat. Lotta bone on your '23 monster, but I can see why the wide 8 takes center stage. Hope you get the hat trick this fall.

Wide bucks, especially when paired with banana tines, like your 8, are hard to beat. Lotta bone on your '23 monster, but I can see why the wide 8 takes center stage. Hope you get the hat trick this fall.
I don't think there is a hat trick type buck on the property this year but there is a lot of time left for that to change!

I know of at least one 160"+ that survived on each of my MN properties, I'd love to connect on either of those bucks!

Some monster deer on this thread!!! Congrats everyone!

Bow hunting 37yrs so far. I shoot a nice deer every once in a while. Never had one scored. Have kind of half-assed measured a couple myself at request of others. Had people tell me they'd score "###", but I'm not going to throw out guesses.

Here's the only one I can find a pic of. One of a couple of 12's and some 10's in the same class. Pretty nice deer, but they get bigger that's for sure.

Screenshot_20240822_220927_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240822_221040_Gallery.jpg

It is just dang hard to beat those upper midwest deer. They have it all - tine length, mass, beam length, and spread. A really nice deer down here has 28” total mass. What is the total mass on those bigger deer?

Biggest I have killed thus far is a 168" deer back before I even had a cell phone capable of taking pictures LOL. I am sure somewhere there is a actual photo of the day I killed it. I do have it mounted, but its at my mom's until the new house is finished. The buck I killed last year was probably my 2nd biggest, he was in the upper 140s. I have killed way more 130" s deer than I should have ever. I always gave into the temptation to kill something by mid-November until the last few years. Now I would just eat the tag and hope one of them makes it to grow another year older.

tiny brows 55 2nd pic.jpg

Not my biggest. But the biggest 7 pointer I’ve ever seen. 144. Don’t want to be judged by what I shot, rather be judged by what I didn’t.

temp-AK9rTbuW-Ua1dk6iXD8LlefwfIQzenGh27bArUtJeO6OMK93PYuzYY5VWFGBI5zwgnKoWDO7yXDOgvHqRGQKaEw.jpeg