What is the Highest Scoring Buck You Have Taken?

What is the highest scoring buck you have taken?

• Have never harvested a Buck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • < 110"

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 110" 120"

Votes: 3 5.1%
  • 121" - 130"

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 131" - 140"

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • 141" - 149"

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • 150" - 160"

Votes: 9 15.3%
  • 160" - 170"

Votes: 11 18.6%
  • 171" plus

Votes: 10 16.9%
  • 200" plus 😲

Votes: 2 3.4%

• Total voters

Tree Spud

5 year old buck +
With all the discussion on antler size, shooting large bucks, and elusiveness of 150" class buck and larger, thought a poll would be interesting to see what people taken. I sometimes think that people's expectations may not always be aligned with what is realistically available. This poll is not meant as a judgement as we all have different opportunities given the area and conditions we hunt, but rather a way to get a gauge on what folks are actually harvesting. This may dispel the notion that there is a 150" class around every corner.

Somehow including the number of years hunted would be helpful too.
Shooting 1 buck scoring 150" or better with a hunting career of 30 years or more is different than shooting 3 bucks scoring 150" or better with a hunting career of less than 10 years. JMO

I have two different personal limits for whitetails but both come with the qualifier that it is mature (4+ for me). In order to know it is mature and go on the hit list, I prefer to have history with the deer in regards to previous year encounters or camera data.

in MN my limit is >140"
In WI my limit is >150"

I've had a few good years the last couple, but most years end with tag soup.

Unfortunately seen and taken are much different for me. Have seen some really nice bucks but still haven't bagged anything to brag about. 40 years of hunting and nothing huge by any means. I have shot some really big and heavy bucks but they had basket racks.

Unfortunately seen and taken are much different for me. Have seen some really nice bucks but still haven't bagged anything to brag about. 40 years of hunting and nothing huge by any means. I have shot some really big and heavy bucks but they had basket racks.
I can’t seem to remember your location, but in general, northern Minnesota woods bucks score much differently than farm country deer. Food is the key.

I can’t seem to remember your location, but in general, northern Minnesota woods bucks score much differently than farm country deer. Food is the key.
I think I'm only about an hour from you. I'm just south of Onamia, which is about 3 miles south of Mille Lacs Lake. I'm right across the road from a large tract of management area. Hunting zone 1 area 157. I have a crew from Pierz staining my house the last couple of days.

I have one with bow & with gun that scored in that 170-174 range…Third was a Minnesota buck at 164 with bow.

I agree - number of years hunted would really be interesting. I have killed one deer larger than 135 - a 158” deer - in 46 years of deer hunting. That said, three other 150” deer have been killed by my family on my property. We have killed a total of four 150-158” deer in 20 years on my 350 acres. We have probably killed half a dozen 140-150” deer in the same timeframe

I think I'm only about an hour from you. I'm just south of Onamia, which is about 3 miles south of Mille Lacs Lake. I'm right across the road from a large tract of management area. Hunting zone 1 area 157. I have a crew from Pierz staining my house the last couple of days.
There is a lot of difference in our habitat over those few miles. Decades back, there was more ag in your area. I used to work on some farms there. I am surrounded by ag and irrgated fields. Plus you probably have more wolves.

I think stress on the deer is a big issue. It can be nutritional, but also the stress from predators.

I have hunted almost 30 years. And believe location is most critical to taking larger deer. Larger can be subjective. I hunted river bottom land for 25 years with only one deer going over 100”. We’ve had a place in the driftless area for 5 years. I have two 127’s on the wall and a 118 4/8”. 5 of my biggest 6 bucks have come in these last 5 years. It’s no coincidence. I’m not all of a sudden a better hunter. You can’t kill what isn’t there. The potential of our area is pushing 200”. I’m hoping to start passing the 120’s bucks. Won’t be easy but you can’t shoot a 140” deer if you shoot him at 125”. 😂

There is a lot of difference in our habitat over those few miles. Decades back, there was more ag in your area. I used to work on some farms there. I am surrounded by ag and irrgated fields. Plus you probably have more wolves.

I think stress on the deer is a big issue. It can be nutritional, but also the stress from predators.
No doubt you guys have better soil for growing. You can see the difference driving from here to there. The only thing that grows well here is rocks.

No doubt you guys have better soil for growing. You can see the difference driving from here to there. The only thing that grows well here is rocks.
That makes me smile. I remember the rock piles out there.

I have hunted almost 30 years. And believe location is most critical to taking larger deer. Larger can be subjective. I hunted river bottom land for 25 years with only one deer going over 100”. We’ve had a place in the driftless area for 5 years. I have two 127’s on the wall and a 118 4/8”. 5 of my biggest 6 bucks have come in these last 5 years. It’s no coincidence. I’m not all of a sudden a better hunter. You can’t kill what isn’t there. The potential of our area is pushing 200”. I’m hoping to start passing the 120’s bucks. Won’t be easy but you can’t shoot a 140” deer if you shoot him at 125”. 😂
I remember bill winke saying we all (talking about the whole chasing November crew) wouldnt be heard of if it wasn’t for Iowa.

Somehow including the number of years hunted would be helpful too.
Shooting 1 buck scoring 150" or better with a hunting career of 30 years or more is different than shooting 3 bucks scoring 150" or better with a hunting career of less than 10 years. JMO
Dang, you make me feel old. I am about 55 seasons. The first half of that time was in the north woods.

I remember bill winke saying we all (talking about the whole chasing November crew) wouldnt be heard of if it wasn’t for Iowa.
He also regularly talks about not traveling to hunt because he knows it doesn't get better than Iowa and doesn't want to have to work harder in other states.

Is anyone else going to answer the question ?

180-3/8. 2013. My dad isn’t much of a cameraman… I wanna put him on an old barn and get a good pic someday.
908866c1601f02d9ba5ab2a145e741cc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: