What Crabapple Tree?

gwm

5 year old buck +
I've had a couple apple trees die the last couple years and I want to replace them with a some crabapple trees. The property is located in south central WI and these would be mainly for deer.

Any suggestions?

All good suggestions from badger!

Thanks!

I'd plant that whole list !!! I have 'em all except the Golden Hornet. All good trees for us at camp. Good advice from Badger.

I'm leaning towards the Chestnut, Whitney and Dolgo. I think I can get all three from Woodstock Nursery.

I'm leaning towards the Chestnut, Whitney and Dolgo. I think I can get all three from Woodstock Nursery.
I have all three of those from Woodstock. They are doing very well.

Reactions: gwm
I am not an expert on this, but I planted 5 Chestnut crabs in MN last year (advice from others) and was amazed at the first year growth and survival.

We have 3 Chestnut crabs, 2 on Antonovka and 1 on B-118. The Antonovka trees are starting to boom out in size. Only 1 apple this past year - can't wait to see 'em loaded !!

Does anybody have a source for Golden Hornet crabapple? I'd like to add a couple to my property if they are available for 2017.

Does anybody have a source for Golden Hornet crabapple? I'd like to add a couple to my property if they are available for 2017.

The only thing I know of now is if you graft your own. Cummins sells it but are sold out. If you want scion GRIN has it.

The only thing I know of now is if you graft your own. Cummins sells it but are sold out. If you want scion GRIN has it.
Thanks, that works. I don' t have my Grin order in yet but plan to get it done this weekend.

Appreciate it!