What Broadleaf Herbicide Besides 24D?

2 week checkup. Broadcasted rye on top last night and clovers as well into brassica strip on the right.

D9B8AB53-FF44-4917-A1F7-58BC3D4256E7.jpeg

From my experience, thick sod/duff (as opposed to dead thatch on top) is ultimately good for the soil and crop, but makes the germination of the new planting slower.

Always Makes me nervous!

After looking closer yesterday, there was a quite a bit of soil exposed. My recollection of thick duff/thatch was really just in the areas of poor germ/emergence where I was digging around through it to see what was going on.

Oh I think you did great. I was speaking more myself. I did all experiment where I killed the grass with herbicide, then did throw in mow one side and drill on the other. The throw and mow into the dead yet thick plant residue is way behind.

2 week checkup. Broadcasted rye on top last night and clovers as well into brassica strip on the right.

View attachment 45581
x

Still not sure how the brassica will do with the soil residual. Time will tell, but you will at least have a good field of WR. I can't recall what kind of clover you planted, but clover tends to germinate more slowly over time. You make have good clover as well. I'd keep my fingers crossed for the brassica. Time will tell.

Best of luck,

Jack

x

Still not sure how the brassica will do with the soil residual. Time will tell, but you will at least have a good field of WR. I can't recall what kind of clover you planted, but clover tends to germinate more slowly over time. You make have good clover as well. I'd keep my fingers crossed for the brassica. Time will tell.

Best of luck,

Jack

I'm not worried about the brassicas. I sprayed/planted the brassica side earlier with the intention to give it more time to put on biomass and build bulbs/tubers for the late season. Look at the green strip on the other side of the field. It is not picture perfect by any means but I'm confident it will serve it's purpose. Brassica planting was a purely brassicas to let them get a jump start. I just broadcasted rye and a red/ladino/fixation balansa clover + chicory blend over the top last night primarily for spring growth.

There is very small radish component added to the cereal grains side but i'm not worried if it fails. There is lots of good little clover germ that doesn't show up in pics yet. I'm feelin pretty optimistic that i got away with an oops on this one.

sorry @SwampCat for the hijack.

I'm not worried about the brassicas. I sprayed/planted the brassica side earlier with the intention to give it more time to put on biomass and build bulbs/tubers for the late season. Look at the green strip on the other side of the field. It is not picture perfect by any means but I'm confident it will serve it's purpose. Brassica planting was a purely brassicas to let them get a jump start. I just broadcasted rye and a red/ladino/fixation balansa clover + chicory blend over the top last night primarily for spring growth.

There is very small radish component added to the cereal grains side but i'm not worried if it fails. There is lots of good little clover germ that doesn't show up in pics yet. I'm feelin pretty optimistic that i got away with an oops on this one.

sorry @SwampCat for the hijack.
You may be fine. My concern was whether the soil residual from the herbicide will impact the germinated brassica plants. as I said, time will tell. Either way, it will be great fields!

You may be fine. My concern was whether the soil residual from the herbicide will impact the germinated brassica plants. as I said, time will tell. Either way, it will be great fields!
I didn't use triclopyr on the brassica side <- a lot more relevant than my prior rambling haha!

I didn't use triclopyr on the brassica side <- a lot more relevant than my prior rambling haha!
Oh, I missed that!

It does look like some of the peas and oats in certain spots are pretty sick. Most of the plants in the plot look healthy though.

Looking back, I think I may have been wrong about this, I think the brassica side got hit with triclopyr as well. @yoderjac @FarmerDan were likely right about injury down the road because the once promising brassicas are now toast and look terrible. Clover and Rye look really good on the other side right now. Hopefully it stays that way.

47B82EB2-7F51-4EEB-8B1F-FEB1F5D4DE49.jpegCA66B12B-BA01-40B4-BF28-4030F9E4391B.jpeg

Last edited: