What Broadleaf Herbicide Besides 24D?

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Neighbor is a row cropper and not keen on me using 24D. Have some spiny sida or teaweed gly wont touch. What other herbicide for broadleaf without much risk for drift?

I asked Keystone Pest Solutions a similar question. They recommended Tryclopyr at 1-2 oz. Per gallon for broadleaf control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I asked Keystone Pest Solutions a similar question. They recommended Tryclopyr at 1-2 oz. Per gallon for broadleaf control.

For sure. I had some leak out of my tank when I was foliar spraying some autumn olive and it went scorched earth on the vegetation it dripped on.

Third for triclopyr.

Does Triclopyr have a residual affect of subsequent planting

I’m glad you asked. I was of the impression it had next to zero residual but a little googling indicates it does. I’ve read it is not soil active but has a fairly long half life so maybe someone can clarify what this means for planting timing after spraying.

Looking forward to input because I was about to plant tomorrow after spraying tonight.

Last edited:
Only info I could find in a quick look through the label regarding seeding after use was related to turf grass and recommended waiting 3 weeks to seed.

Find a label telling you what you need to know. I wish I had more time. Half-life is a very useful indicator but it's fairly worthless without knowing soil characteristics and how the herbicide is metabolized in the non-target plants. Personally, I would NOT spray, plant soon after spraying, and expect anything but bad results. An established grass plating like in a lawn has the ability to fight-off the herbicide effects. Any young or just germinating seeds probably do not.
If a label says use 1 to 2 oz per acre-
and the half life is 30 days
and you apply 2 oz
and if 1 oz would have done the job,
then at 15 days the herbicide is still viable for it's purpose.

My knee-jerk reaction is to advise against using it on anything but an established (grass family?)crop.

http://www.npic.orst.edu/factsheets/triclopyrgen.html

What happens to triclopyr in the environment?​

Ester and salt forms of triclopyr rapidly turn into the triclopyr acid form in the environment. Most triclopyr is soluble in water, meaning it dissolves easily. However, the ester form is less soluble. Triclopyr has a low vapor pressure, meaning it is not likely to release fumes into the environment.5

Triclopyr in water breaks down faster with light. The half-life of triclopyr in water with light is around 1 day.5 Without light, it is stable in water with a half-life of 142 days.4

Triclopyr breaks down relatively quickly in soils. It is mainly broken down by microbes.5 The soil half-life ranges from 8 to 46 days.5,10 In deeper soils with less oxygen, the half-life is longer.5 Triclopyr is mobile in soils.2,5 However, movement studies show that triclopyr was not measured in soils deeper than 15 to 90 centimeters (about 6 to 35 inches).4,5 Its movement in soil is affected by the amount of compost and rain, among other factors.10,16 Use NPIC’s Herbicide Properties Tool (HPT) to find out how triclopyr can move in the environment.

As a systemic herbicide, triclopyr is absorbed through plant leaves and roots. It tends to accumulate in the growing points in a plant. The half-life in plants can vary widely with the type of plant. Barley and wheat plants broke down 85% of triclopyr within 3 days of application.10 The half-life in grass was between 5 and 20 days.16 The half-life in plants ranges from 3 to 24 days.2,5,16

Last edited:
I talked to Keystone pest and they recommended I not plant within two months after spraying. It has put me in a bad spot. I cant use 24d because of the potential for drift onto my neighbor’s row crop. I cant use tryclopyr for fear it will affect my planting. I guess I am going to have to disk the whole ten acres which is probably going to take at least two passes with a disk - maybe three. It will take a couple of days instead of a couple of hours.

I talked to Keystone pest and they recommended I not plant within two months after spraying. It has put me in a bad spot. I cant use 24d because of the potential for drift onto my neighbor’s row crop. I cant use tryclopyr for fear it will affect my planting. I guess I am going to have to disk the whole ten acres which is probably going to take at least two passes with a disk - maybe three. It will take a couple of days instead of a couple of hours.
Could you just broadcast gly, and use triclopyr mix just for Spot spring?

If I missed it I apologize, but what are your intentions for this field(s)/planting?

If I missed it I apologize, but what are your intentions for this field(s)/planting?
Burn down for planting wheat in a month. There is a solid stand of teaweed after 2.25 qts of gly per acre. if I had planted the teaweed, I would be proud of it. I did have someone recommend glufosinate (Blazer) as being a safe choice.

Glufosinate is Liberty or interline. Blazer is Acifluorfen. Without checking I think glufosinate would work well for you, but I also think 24d would work if you can play the wind and not drift.

Glufosinate is Liberty or interline. Blazer is Acifluorfen. Without checking I think glufosinate would work well for you, but I also think 24d would work if you can play the wind and not drift.
Agree, you can either make sure your boom nozzles are very close to the ground, or use something like a flood nozzle they put out large droplets with little drift.

Burn down for planting wheat in a month. There is a solid stand of teaweed after 2.25 qts of gly per acre. if I had planted the teaweed, I would be proud of it. I did have someone recommend glufosinate (Blazer) as being a safe choice.
So I have never been able to find good data on plant back intervals for Triclopyr. I have some new fields that I burned down using gly and Triclopyr early this spring. Summer Broadleaf that I planted did not do very well in those plots. However, there was a lot of Woody encroachment before spraying, so I think the good burn down that I did worked well. The millet and Milo grew great. The only weeds that came back were non-broadleaf.

If it is not your only field, you could burn it down really well with the above mix and only plant cereals this fall. Then you could plant whatever you wanted next spring and summer.

It is expensive, but I think LIberty is labeled for sida control. I've been able to plant the same day like gly with no ill effects. I don't have sida, so I can't speak to how well it controls it. Just something to consider.

Agree, you can either make sure your boom nozzles are very close to the ground, or use something like a flood nozzle they put out large droplets with little drift.
I have a boomless sprayer that I can adjust the pressure - lowering it to increase droplet size. I always try to spray first thing in morning to take advantage of low or no wind.

Liberty needs good coverage to work its best. Think lots of water, lots of mist and warm temps. A little bit of breeze can be better than no breeze because the spray gets better coverage.

This is interesting to me. So with an atv or utv sprayer, outside of a gale force wind, how much drift can we expect? And worse case does 2-4d have translocation in crops or is just where it physical touches the plant?

Keystone told me there is zero wait period required and mentioned that was a benefit over 24D.