What a 16 year old should not say to Dad.

Bill

Administrator
Having coffe yesterday AM on the deck. I noticed the N side of the house was a bit green. Finished my coffee and got out the pressure washer.

Once that was done I figured the back deck could use some freshening up. That's when I realized "wait" I have a 16 YO boy in the house. Got him set up and washing the deck.

That's when he said it...........

Dad, can't you hire someone to do this...?

Me...I am, I feed you..

At 16 he had to double down. But I'm really tired, I didn't sleep well last night.

Me...You will tonight.

So yesterday we pressure washed the entire house. Today we got done 1/2 of 600 feet of concrete driveway before the rain started. We'll finish later today or tomorrow before we move on the the 30 X 60 pole barn. I'm right there working with him. Won't ask him to do what I won't, but I bet he never asks me that again :D

I love it!

I used to take the boy and "cut wood" - I don't even burn wood. He hated it! He especially hated stacking it! Wore his butt out - turns out they don't have as much piss & vinegar in them when they are exhausted!

Did he learn his lesson?

If he is like my son, it wont be too long before the next complaint comes out..... I was a bit amazed at times how he would just keep digging his hole..... A number of times I had to remind him that every time he opens his mouth in an argument, its only gonna get worse....
One of the better arguments that my son lost he ended up mowing the yard with a push mower all summer while the nice John Deere sat idle in the garage. That was a good one if you ask me. :)

I am pretty sure most of us did many similar things...

At my house the words 'I'm bored' are rarely spoken. They learned quickly dad always has a project.

Me...You will tonight.

LOVE it.... Jake is only 9, but already good at finding excuses.

I usually hit him where it hurts (taking away screen time).. But I'm going to have to up my game soon!

-John

LOVE it.... Jake is only 9, but already good at finding excuses.

I usually hit him where it hurts (taking away screen time).. But I'm going to have to up my game soon!

-John
TV is one thing - you want to make them feel the pain take away the other electrical social devices - especially once they are teenagers!!!! They swear you are killing them. It's great!!!! Cue the evil laugh!!!!!!!

I don't think they learn until their out doing it on their own. I know I was a hard head that way.

But I keep telling how glad I am to have his help so I don't have to hire someone :D

I think he got it this one time on this one item. The rain stopped and we got back at it. I had to run and told him he could quit any time but what ever didn't get done today would have to be done tomorrow.

When I got home the driveway was done.

Sometimes the best lessons are the hardest earned lessons.;)