Weather

Pride of lions was chasing a herd of zebras across my lawn today. I’m pretty sure that what saw thru the sweat in my eyes.

OK…winter just got real here overnight.

Zero out right now with wind chill of -20
Ten day forecast looks like it’s staying this way for over a week. Not a lot of snow ..yet. Hope we don’t get much this winter we have been lucky for a few years.

On the way home from work this morning
IMG_6681.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

Last night
IMG_6682.jpeg

This morning
IMG_6680.jpeg

ae4b9402e278c5521949e887aa96b882.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cold in tenn too. I’m just hoping it finally locks the waters up north up so we can salvage a little duck season. Been abysmal thus far

Cold in tenn too. I’m just hoping it finally locks the waters up north up so we can salvage a little duck season. Been abysmal thus far
Our duck season has been horrible, also. I dont think they are coming - we should have had a lot of ducks move in here the last week. Dont think there are any to move in. Population is down 33% - 18 million ducks - in the last 13 years. We are now below the long term average. Yet we keep on with a 60 day, 6 duck limit.

Our duck season has been horrible, also. I dont think they are coming - we should have had a lot of ducks move in here the last week. Dont think there are any to move in. Population is down 33% - 18 million ducks - in the last 13 years. We are now below the long term average. Yet we keep on with a 60 day, 6 duck limit.
DU has to keep membership robust to justify their existence. So when duck seasons are bad they can just say they are all up north and not face the real issues. Remember more members equals more money…Ducks are screwed

DU has to keep membership robust to justify their existence. So when duck seasons are bad they can just say they are all up north and not face the real issues. Remember more members equals more money…Ducks are screwed
I wonder if the Feds arent doing the same thing. Declining duck stamp sales.

My coworker’s husband is an officer in the local chapter. I asked him what their current projects were for their chapter and I got the blankest stare. Then I asked what the banquets were for besides all the local staff getting cheap decoys. Another blank stare. And he wonders why I won’t attend one of their banquets…

My coworker’s husband is an officer in the local chapter. I asked him what their current projects were for their chapter and I got the blankest stare. Then I asked what the banquets were for besides all the local staff getting cheap decoys. Another blank stare. And he wonders why I won’t attend one of their banquets…

I fell out of love with DU years ago after some higher ups got busted for embezzlement and some of their studies on habitat work were debunked after over claiming a lot of government land programs as their own projects to boost stats.

I’ve seen other slow years but this one is really lacking the usual migrators. And the downturn of our normally good numbers on Canada geese is blatant this year. The state&Feds here have been terrible killing local populations of geese at state parks during summer.

I have zero doubt DU does some good work. But I also think they are profit driven despite being a “nonprofit”. The higher ups absolutely have a financial incentive to have more membership. Would it be beneficial to admit that numbers are in the tank despite all their money they have thrown at the issue (allegedly), or would it be easier to just say all the ducks are up north? I mean what common guy is gonna get in their pickup and fact check them?

Last edited:
TU is the same. They do quite a bit of habitat work in our area but it is garbage. Fish numbers start to decline as soon as the equipment shows up. Not a lot if common sense used in their work either IMO.

We get 3 months of winter. Whether it starts in November or January, were gonna get 3 months. 😉
Oh I know. It’ll last into April.

Little cooler today, but wind chill is only -15 today.

IMG_6687.jpeg

Dozens of flocks of Sandhills went through here yesterday, heard TN picked up a bunch of migrators and is smashing ducks.

I am at -17 this morning, actual temp, very little wind though. But it is winter, and I live in the northland, so it is expected. In a month and a half it will be March, and the sun is strong in March, temps can still get below zero, but if the sun is out, it feels warm. We can also get a lot of snow in March, and April as well.

No tundra here in SE Pa. for sure, but a batch of Cannucks flew through here yesterday. Local ponds (normal and flood overflows) from all the rain we've had are loaded with Canadian geese. Seems the dropping temps have them heading south finally. We didn't really see or hear the "normal" November flocks flying south - but the temps were pretty high up until the last few days.

Railroad called me to work Saturday evening I got home at 09:00 Sunday morning it was about -8 most of the night I worked out in that shit dropped my hardhat at some point and it shattered from the cold.

Last edited: