Weather

I think my fruit tree blooms weathered the frost ok but several oaks that had begun leafing out where burned completely of leaves around the yard at least.

16 degrees this morning in NW Wisconsin. But not much for leaves out yet, and my apple trees are still at silver bud stage.

only got down to around 35 last night, but there was certainly frost in the valley below my house..looks like only a couple more days of this 30s and worrying about blossoms crap

28 here in NW Pa this morning. I‘m hoping damage was minimal to my trees that were blooming

28 is about where things get ugly

The winter that just keeps on giving! Supposed to get pounded with lake effect snow in my neck of the woods. Some models showing up to 26-30” from tomorrow afternoon through Tuesday morning. The local stations are saying 12-24” so we’ll see.

Heading to my property early tomorrow with a buddy to finish clearing 2 new food plots so we’ll put as much popple, ash and basswood on the ground as we can. No idea if it will help the deer but I can’t sit around and do nothing.

It seems most of the central & western parts of Pa. are supposed to get some snow from the wrap-around winds of the big low pressure coming out of the Great Lakes region. Our camp may get a bit of that snow.

We have baby clovers and rye coming up at camp in some new food plots as this system hits.

It seems most of the central & western parts of Pa. are supposed to get some snow from the wrap-around winds of the big low pressure coming out of the Great Lakes region. Our camp may get a bit of that snow.

We have baby clovers and rye coming up at camp in some new food plots as this system hits.
My dad's at our family camp in Potter Co. He said they didn't go turkey hunting today because they're calling for snow.

My dad's at our family camp in Potter Co. He said they didn't go turkey hunting today because they're calling for snow.
Crazy spring, isn't it?? Where did the gradual spring warm-ups go (without hot & cold temp swing extremes)??

Crazy spring, isn't it?? Where did the gradual spring warm-ups go (without hot & cold temp swing extremes)??
definitely had sleet the other night and saw some snow on the radar about 10 miles north of my house....looking at the forecast this will be the last day with highs in the 40s, with 50s+ from here on out....although this cold weather is keeping my grass from growing too crazy so I may regret the warming temps...

I am contemplating if I should shut down my wood boiler, or keep it on. We finally have some 60's in the forecast for highs, and lows in the 40's. I havent put any wood in it today, and I am thinking it is done for the year.

I am contemplating if I should shut down my wood boiler, or keep it on. We finally have some 60's in the forecast for highs, and lows in the 40's. I havent put any wood in it today, and I am thinking it is done for the year.
Been a month or more for me shutting mine down but I’m a good deal farther south. I love the short winters down here compared to what I grew up with.

That last storm ended up dumping about 11-12” in my area. 40-50 miles to the northeast of me, they picked up 26-30”. Either way, I’m starting to think the winter kill was pretty substantial in my area unfortunately. Trail cam pictures and sightings are way down and I’m not seeing any yearling fawns and the adult deer look rough. A few with infections, lumpy jaw, etc. from being run down. Lake effect snow belts are tough on the deer herd but I’m gonna keep up the habitat work mainly because I enjoy the heck out of it.

I had a couple wolf kills. Late winter, right after the last big storm. I heard the wolves growling, about 100 yards from my house. I didn’t look until a couple weeks later and there are 2 dead dear.

Attachments

• 1BBBF1DE-9A68-4162-AE88-2C9FA47B9FB6.jpeg
    1BBBF1DE-9A68-4162-AE88-2C9FA47B9FB6.jpeg
    868.4 KB · Views: 12
Wolves clean up late winter no 2 ways about it. Warm days and cold nights puts a hard crust on top of 36” of snow and it’s pretty easy pickens for the predators. One of these winters I’m gonna spend some time around the area where my deer yard up. Sit and watch and see what I can get on camera. The area had some significant logging earlier this winter and one of the loggers said the deer were thick and so were the wolves. Should be a good place to spend a couple days next winter.

snow belts are tough on the deer herd but I’m gonna keep up the habitat work mainly because I enjoy the heck out of it.
Whatever you do for habitat improvement will help speed the recovery of the wildlife numbers. If you enjoy it (most of us do) that's another plus!! Food & cover R us.

I witness something that made me lol a couple days ago. I was plopping in ROD cuttings on two opposite corners of my food plot, I finished putting them in the ground on one side, and went over to the other corner, and I saw 3 deer walk in and stop right were I just put in the new cuttings, I walked out there and yelled at them, they took off, one stopped, ran back to the fresh cuttings and tore into the ground, and he must of grabbed one then he took off running with it. As I was plopping the rest in the ground, they all stood about 20 yards from the other corner. At this point I figured it is time to go back and get the fence and fence them. I was doing a 10x10 area of about 10 cuttings. At least I know it will draw deer in.

I have no idea who ordered this BS, that's in the shade!20230820_143147.jpg

I hate summer weather...... I realized today that I hate late August weather even more! LOL

Sunny and 78 for a high today for me.