Weak roots

Little big horn

A good 3 year old buck
I notice I've got a few 4-6 year old apple trees that have really poor roots I can literally push side to side. they have produced some apples last couple years and leaf out good. These were container trees from lowes so im thinking this may be the issue my newer trees on m111 and b118 seem solid. Is there any trick to generate new root growth or are they doomed? Would voles be any issue trees are weed free around them. thanks

I notice I've got a few 4-6 year old apple trees that have really poor roots I can literally push side to side. they have produced some apples last couple years and leaf out good. These were container trees from lowes so im thinking this may be the issue my newer trees on m111 and b118 seem solid. Is there any trick to generate new root growth or are they doomed? Would voles be any issue trees are weed free around them. thanks
Hello and welcome..what varieties and How tall are your trees.. they are probably a dwarfed rootstock which are meant for early production close planting and require trellising ie some type of support. I will let the pros chime in but maybe you can lightly disturb the bark 4 to 5 in above the soil and then Mount some nice soil and allow the tree above the graph Union to make its own roots and if it's not a naturally dwarf variety you can revert it back to a standard tree, making it much more secure in the Earth.

most trees are probably 12 ft tall said semi dwarf on tags Winesap, gala I got connel red and Haralson that I got from bareroot from local nursery i know were to be large trees out of 15 of these first trees in orchard i got 4-5 like this I have braced couple of worst trees some have quite a few root suckers i always trim back

I really hate to say this, but if your Lowe's trees are still unstable after 4 to 6 years in the ground, I’d pull them out and plant good, locally grown, bare root trees in their place.

I usually buy locally grown bare root trees myself, and I am delighted with their growth. But a few years ago, I broke down and bought a potted apple tree on sale just for the heck of it. This tree has been a complete disappointment ever since because it does not really grow, but it will not die either. It’s taking up space where a good healthy tree should be getting bigger and starting to produce apples. This spring, it’s coming out and a new M.111 bare root tree is going in. My advice to you… cut your losses early and move on.

Last edited:
thanks yea exactly what these are doin staying alive not really growing , luckily ive been planting turkey creek trees last 4 years best decision ive made great doin trees. I agree put a good tree in there place as these are on a slow death thanks

The problem with growing trees in smooth containers is that roots will circle or j-hook. This causes them to constrict themselves over time and reduces what they can uptake. So, unless trees are grown in a root pruning container system, you really have to remove enough medium at planting time to look for and manually prune them. This can remove a significant amount of root system and slow the growth, but in the long run, it is better than circling roots. So, this is one possibility.

The second possibility is planting technique. I had an issue with Jujube trees. I have heavy clay soil and I dug a large hole and amended the soil that I filled the hole with. They grew very well for a number of years. One year we got a storm with lots of wind and several blew over. What I found was that the amended soil was so nice, the roots were reluctant to penetrate the clay. So, no large stabilizing roots were in the native clay. I ended up saving the trees by staking them upright and then dumping a couple FEL buckets of clay and mounding it around the trees. This has provides sufficient weight to keep them from blowing over since, but I don't know if the roots ever penetrated the clay or not. With clay soil, it is probably better not to amend the soil. If planting from a non-root pruning container, I'd remove the medium and discard it and plant it like a bare root tree without amending the soil.

I have been able to retain the medium with trees I've planted from root pruning containers. This is because I dig the hole exactly the size of the container (with an auger). The lateral root don't have far to grow to penetrate the native clay and there are no circling roots with these containers.

The last possibility is the root stock. I'm guessing the Lowes rootstock is unknown. Some rootstocks are more suitable than others for particular soils. Find out what local orchards use. In my area the semi-dwarf most used in our soils is M111. I recently planted a couple trees on B118. Time will tell how they do here.

Thanks,

Jack

Did you plant them in a square hole or a round hole???