Walk-behind flail mowers?

Michael Bey

Buck Fawn
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I fully subscribe to the throw-and-mow approach for creating food plots. The mowing part of throw-and-mow is the most challenging part for me, particularly since I don’t own a tractor (and likely never will).
I “mow” my cover crops (typically 4-6’ tall rye) using a Stihl FS130 trimmer with a blade and that approach gets the job done eventually, but it seems that a walk-behind flail mower would be the ideal tool for the job. Unfortunately, it appears that only a few walk-behind flail mowers exist (e.g., Orec Cyclone, BCS or Grillo walk-behind tractors with flail mower attachment), and the ones that do exist seem to be very expensive.

With that as background, I have a few questions:
  • For mowing cover crops, is the performance of a walk-behind flail mower worth the added expense over a rotary mower (e.g., DR brush mower)?
  • In addition to the models mentioned above, are there other walk-behind flail mowers that are worth considering?
  • Other than buying a tractor, is there another tool or approach for mowing cover crops that I should be considering?
Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Mike

I think a 4wd ATV and a pull behind swisher rough cut mower would be more versatile. I used a walk behind weed whip type cutter one year and decided that the walk-behind thing isn't for me. I purchased a used swisher rough cut for $750 and even a 2wd ATV can pull it easily. For years I used an old 2wd Polaris 250 to pull the brush cutter and it worked fine on level ground. Swampy, thick areas require a 4wd though.

I really like those flail mowers though since they seem to produce a more finely chopped and evenly distributed mulch pile.

Not familiar with walk behind flail mowers

I have a DR and its a beast.....like wrestling a bear if mowing on an incline.......

bill

I don't know if it's okay to provide links to Youtube videos here. But if it is, here's a video of a BCS walk-behind tractor with a flail mower making quick work of a cover crop:

You should be able to pick up a used BCS, or equivalent walk behind tractor, fairly inexpensively used. It will probably take a while, but they come up on regional swap forums from time to time. Or, maybe check with several farm to market growers near you. Farmers markets may be the best bet for soliciting one to purchase.

There was one on the Dallas craigslist last December for about half of the cost of a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bit ignorant to flail mowers as well, but I’m not sure that there would be enough of an advantage over flail type VS rotary to limit myself to that niche. There are a ton of pull behinds and ATV and behinds that would do a great job for your application. I think many on here that practice throw and mow do so with a rotary cutter.

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I fully subscribe to the throw-and-mow approach for creating food plots. The mowing part of throw-and-mow is the most challenging part for me, particularly since I don’t own a tractor (and likely never will).
I “mow” my cover crops (typically 4-6’ tall rye) using a Stihl FS130 trimmer with a blade and that approach gets the job done eventually, but it seems that a walk-behind flail mower would be the ideal tool for the job. Unfortunately, it appears that only a few walk-behind flail mowers exist (e.g., Orec Cyclone, BCS or Grillo walk-behind tractors with flail mower attachment), and the ones that do exist seem to be very expensive.

With that as background, I have a few questions:
  • For mowing cover crops, is the performance of a walk-behind flail mower worth the added expense over a rotary mower (e.g., DR brush mower)?
  • In addition to the models mentioned above, are there other walk-behind flail mowers that are worth considering?
  • Other than buying a tractor, is there another tool or approach for mowing cover crops that I should be considering?
Thanks in advance for any comments and suggestions.

Mike

It’s not a flail mower but I absolutely love my DR. I have the Pro26 with electric start and 14 horsepower engine. It does great work on my small food plots, access trails campground, roadside and even trails through the woods where I’m trying to influence deer movement. It’s a great multipurpose tool. It mows roughly 4 to 5 inches tall and it always feels like it’s too low for my clover but a couple weeks later it’s grwoing just fine.

You can also toss the gym membership if you own a DR............

bill

You can also toss the gym membership if you own a DR............

bill
Lol - everybody says that but honestly mine doesn’t make me feel that way. Now, before I bought the DR I rented a Billy Goat mower a couple of times. That thing beat the heck out of me.