New Landowner Equipment Advice

Fetz

Yearling... With promise
Hi everyone,

I have been scouring the internet (including this forum) and none to my surprise I have gotten a lot of different answers. This seems like a great place for some advice tailored to my specific situation so here goes:

My wife and I are about to close on 20 acres in Central Illinois. About 18 acres is timber and reclaimed overgrown pasture, and is bisected by an intermittent stream. 2 acres is open field and a pole barn. We are neighbored by 10,000+ ac of public but our land has basically never been hunted. I am looking forward to learning and managing the land for deer (and all wildlife), and eventually building a homestead. I have absolutely no prior experience.

I am still juggling the tractor/UTV/ATV debate but everything points toward tractor. Realistically the biggest I can afford would be the 24-26 HP range. Bigger would be great but just not an option. I figure with a FEL, flail mower, and a sprayer I could basically take care of everything I need to do. Initial Trail/plot clearing, food plotting, TSI, and grass mowing/trail maintenance. I estimate 2-4 acres of total plots and 700yd worth of trails to carve out. I am concerned about getting a tractor across the creek though. I haven't seen the year-round conditions yet but when I toured the property it was only inches deep at the deepest spots and the banks are only 2-3feet at the highest. My plan is to just shallow out the banks wherever I make my trails.

Alternatives would be a UTV or renting equipment. The UTV would be more maneuverable and better for carrying chainsaws, tools, and cut wood. And cheaper. But really not that much cheaper, especially because I would still have to buy either a tow behind mower or a separate riding mower. The greatest benefit of rental equipment is the lack of maintenance liability, I can get bigger and more specialized equipment, and I can drive it like a rental! But then I only have it at my disposal when I take the time and logistical effort to rent it, so the convenience factor goes way down, and over the long run (5-7 years) I don't know that I'm saving a whole lot.

I guess that's a lot of words without asking a question. I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm making a logical decision or that I'm an idiot and need to consider some other factors. Is 25hp really too small or can I accomplish my goals with enough seat time? Is UTV and hand tools the way to go?

Welcome to our addiction! Great fun. The implement I’ve got the most use out of is my grapple. Nice for doing roads, moving brush, grubbing up shrub roots, etc.

Personally I think a tractor with only 25 hp will be underpowered. Many atv's and UTV's are in the 40 hp range or higher. If all of your implements are tow behind then the tractor does not offer as much benefit.

Rule with tractors is always buy 10 hp more than you think you will need. 😉

What tools or tasks do you see a tractor better for?

Realistically you’ll end up with both.

I tried using utv early. Soon realized i needed a tractor.

However, I still use utv every time I’m at the farm. Just some stuff that’s really hard to do with it.

Congrats my man!

U have land u need a loader if u value ur back or are getting a bit long in the tooth. Nuff said. 25 hp can b enough for a 20ish acre parcel. Sure implements limited to 5 ft or so but if u live there time squeeze is not as bad as trying to cram in a wkend a month so take a few more passes to complete tasks

Personally I think a tractor with only 25 hp will be underpowered. Many atv's and UTV's are in the 40 hp range or higher. If all of your implements are tow behind then the tractor does not offer as much benefit.

Rule with tractors is always buy 10 hp more than you think you will need. 😉

What tools or tasks do you see a tractor better for?
Well the big advantage would be the mowing and trail clearing, plus having the bucket on front I'm sure would be handy in ways I have not yet ascertained. PTO driven mowers also seem to be cheaper than tow-behind mowers with a dedicated engine. I guess I don't know how often I would need to actually mow trails once they're established. A friend of mine suggested renting a skid steer for the weekend to take care of that and then maybe I could just use a normal riding mower to maintain them afterwards.

I also worry that I would strain the UTV trying to do things it's not necessarily designed for versus the tractor. I would like to end up with both eventually and having the tractor would allow me to buy a much cheaper/lower powered UTV down the road because I won't need it for the more demanding work.

If I could only have one - it would be a SxS. You will be on it every trip. You wife will not be able to ride with you on the tractor.

On large parcels, maybe the nod goes to a SxS just for getting around quicker. I own under 100 acres and have owned a tractor from day one. Almost 20 yrs later and still have not bought a 4 wheeler or SxS. Just doesn't take that long to get around. With two people to transport, again maybe a SxS looks more tempting for nature hikes. To get work done, tractor...no contest. YMMV

Edit: also have very rocky ground in areas that ground clearance of tractor a plus. No bueno in those spots with a SxS

Last edited:
Thinking about the question and the responses, two thoughts pop into my mind. First, buy a tractor with more than enough HP. Nobody ever got into a field and said, gee I wish I had less horsepower! Sure, sheer physical size (big) can be a problem if you have small areas and tight spaces. Available funds dictates a lot! Second though was, "Wait a minute. Slow down." This is an exciting time, new land. This situation causes me to stop and think about all the equipment I bought I really didn't need and/or haven't used as much as I thought I would.

For kicks and giggles and apologies for turning the question around, I ask anyone - what did you buy you thought you needed to do habitat work that your really didn't need or haven't used like you thought you might? Mine is a 6ft tiller.

Thinking about the question and the responses, two thoughts pop into my mind. First, buy a tractor with more than enough HP. Nobody ever got into a field and said, gee I wish I had less horsepower! Sure, sheer physical size (big) can be a problem if you have small areas and tight spaces. Available funds dictates a lot! Second though was, "Wait a minute. Slow down." This is an exciting time, new land. This situation causes me to stop and think about all the equipment I bought I really didn't need and/or haven't used as much as I thought I would.

For kicks and giggles and apologies for turning the question around, I ask anyone - what did you buy you thought you needed to do habitat work that your really didn't need or haven't used like you thought you might? Mine is a 6ft tiller.
That's exactly why I'm asking these questions, so no worries. I've been thinking about this for weeks now. The last thing I want to do is waste money. I totally agree that more HP would be better, but my wife and my wallet are pretty well set on staying in the $15k range and that's what I can get for $15k.

It's definitely an exciting time and I am quick to overlook the fact I could probably do everything I need with a chainsaw, hand tools, and some sweat equity. I could rent something to just get a trail and fields cleared and then call it a day. I just know I will be saying "damn I wish I had a tractor" a lot.

In 2012 I purchased a 38hp tractor and a UTV. I use both for plotting but if the UTV broke down the tractor could do all the work, especially with that size of a parcel. I do 2 acres of food plots and a tractor the size you're looking at would be more than adequate. I know everyone says get a bigger tractor than you think you need but a smaller tractor cuts corners tighter on plots uses less fuel and fits in a garage. I use a tiller 😲, brush hog and a drag, I do have a loader and it gets used more than I ever imagined it would. For seeding and fertilizing a hand seeder works great along with a backpack sprayer and it all makes for a good workout. The loader works for picking up the deer we harvest with less effort than lifting it on a back transport rack or in the UTV box, it could also transport the firewood. I would also assume that if you wanted to upgrade down the road there would be less depreciation on the tractor. I also confess to loving the sound of a diesel while driving it! To me the UTV is basically a recreational vehicle that could be purchased down the road when money starts burning a hole in your pocket. Congratulations on the land purchase, if you're like everyone else on here you'll find yourself sitting in a stand during hunting season being distracted by your thoughts of planning out more habitat projects and when you can get to work on them, ( been tempted to get down from the tree do some) thankfully the habitat list never ends...

Congrats on the purchase. I told my wife I wouldn’t need a tractor when we bought land and then bought a tractor less than a year later. Didn’t need one but they sure make some things easier.

My parents do just fine with a 25hp tractor (kubota b2650) on their 180ish acres in northern MN. Use it to disk, mow, spray, till, gather firewood, landscape, auger holes for trees, lift stuff with the loader, blow snow, and move brush with grapple. I prefer my 37 hp tractor to theirs but most of that is just because it feels more solid and smooth. I could accomplish the same things with their smaller tractor.

Atv/UTV is sure a lot nicer getting around and doing chores though.

Tractor: better for work. A loader is dang nice to have.

UTV: better for enjoying your property and doing small hand tool jobs.

Last edited:

Mine was one of those ground hog Max ATV disc's. Useless for breaking ground and it is the most expensive boat anchor I ever bought

I have two tractors and two sxs’s. One 65 hp tractor and one 28 hp tractor. I have planted up to forty acres in a year with the 28 hp tractor. I am on it all the time. If I had to pick one tractor, it would be the largest hp compact I could buy. The 65 hp is just too big for a lot of things. I am on one of the sxs’s everyday, on the little tractor every two or three days, and the big tractor in spurts. Several times in a week, and then Maybe not for a month.

I dont use a three way hydraulic blade much. Second would be a five ft tiller. If I didnt have a garden, wouldnt use it at all.

Congrats on the purchase. I told my wife I wouldn’t need a tractor when we bought land and then bought a tractor less than a year later. Didn’t need one but they sure make some things easier.

My parents do just fine with a 25hp tractor (kubota b2650) on their 180ish acres in northern MN. Use it to disk, mow, spray, till, gather firewood, landscape, auger holes for trees, lift stuff with the loader, blow snow, and move brush with grapple. I prefer my 37 hp tractor to theirs but most of that is just because it feels more solid and smooth. I could accomplish the same things with their smaller tractor.

Atv/UTV is sure a lot nicer getting around and doing chores though.

Tractor: better for work. A loader is dang nice to have.

UTV: better for enjoying your property and doing small hand tool jobs.
I said and did exact same Gypsy!

I've owned three relatively small tractors over time all with loaders. Mine were all 30 to 38 HP and I have 110 acres and 8 acres of food plots and a couple miles of trails. Buy at least 30 HP....IMO.....and get a decent loader.....and I would get a grapple. Add a flail mower and you got a decent start. I have lots of implements I have used over time. All are 5 to 6 feet wide.....and some I use frequently and some I have not used in years now that I have my ground broke. The implements all have served me well.....and they have their time and place too.

I started with a lower cost gear shift tractor (JD790) and found I needed a hydrostatic tranny for my stump grinder and better positioning with a loader and overall ease of use. Went to a slightly larger tractor that had these things (3320 JD).....and got along quite well.....and then the cab feature bit me. Now I ride in bug-free comfort and have HVAC and safety from the cab (Kubota L-3560 HSTC) as I listen to tunes on the radio. Tractors hold value.....so do implements.....easy to upgrade and change as your needs change.....IMO.

I could make do with about any wheeler or utv.....but I dont think I could get by without a tractor and loader and a decent mower on the three point. If you have trees you will appreciate a loader and a grapple.

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have been scouring the internet (including this forum) and none to my surprise I have gotten a lot of different answers. This seems like a great place for some advice tailored to my specific situation so here goes:

My wife and I are about to close on 20 acres in Central Illinois. About 18 acres is timber and reclaimed overgrown pasture, and is bisected by an intermittent stream. 2 acres is open field and a pole barn. We are neighbored by 10,000+ ac of public but our land has basically never been hunted. I am looking forward to learning and managing the land for deer (and all wildlife), and eventually building a homestead. I have absolutely no prior experience.

I am still juggling the tractor/UTV/ATV debate but everything points toward tractor. Realistically the biggest I can afford would be the 24-26 HP range. Bigger would be great but just not an option. I figure with a FEL, flail mower, and a sprayer I could basically take care of everything I need to do. Initial Trail/plot clearing, food plotting, TSI, and grass mowing/trail maintenance. I estimate 2-4 acres of total plots and 700yd worth of trails to carve out. I am concerned about getting a tractor across the creek though. I haven't seen the year-round conditions yet but when I toured the property it was only inches deep at the deepest spots and the banks are only 2-3feet at the highest. My plan is to just shallow out the banks wherever I make my trails.

Alternatives would be a UTV or renting equipment. The UTV would be more maneuverable and better for carrying chainsaws, tools, and cut wood. And cheaper. But really not that much cheaper, especially because I would still have to buy either a tow behind mower or a separate riding mower. The greatest benefit of rental equipment is the lack of maintenance liability, I can get bigger and more specialized equipment, and I can drive it like a rental! But then I only have it at my disposal when I take the time and logistical effort to rent it, so the convenience factor goes way down, and over the long run (5-7 years) I don't know that I'm saving a whole lot.

I guess that's a lot of words without asking a question. I'm just looking for confirmation that I'm making a logical decision or that I'm an idiot and need to consider some other factors. Is 25hp really too small or can I accomplish my goals with enough seat time? Is UTV and hand tools the way to go?
First, congratulations on the new property. Sounds like a great find. In 2017 my wife and I purchased something similar in NW Missouri—a 20 acre place, about 40% old field, 50% old forest that was grazed, and a creek running through it.

My first purchase was a John Deere 3025E. I would not be happier with that choice for this property. It is very maneuverable, and while it is just 25 hp, it is the same engine as the 32 hp (in fact, you can do a no—factory upgrade for $1000 that takes it to 34 hp). Here are the implements I use:

Tar River Saya 505 no till drill
Land Pride 5” tiller
4’ and 6’ rotary cutter
County line post hole digger
Frontier mid-buster
6’ rake
6’ blade

I also have pallet forks (used frequently) and clamp-on bucket forks (used occasionally).

On the UTV side, I have a Kawasaki Mule SX-SC, which is perfect for this size property and an ATV I use for spraying. However, if I had just one, it would be the Mule, hands down. The best part is that the JD and the Mule can be had for under $30K combined, new.

Good luck with whatever you get, and welcome to the forum.

My vote would be for a tractor AND a UTV - when funds allow.

Tractor - Firminator, grapple, snowblower, pallet forks, Brush mower, FEL, ballast box. I don’t use them all weekly or even monthly in some cases, but my property needs every one right now and for the foreseeable future.

UTV -AG Lime spreader, sprayer, plastic polar trailer, plastic Polar sled. The UTV/ATV is just so needed for doing all of the “small” things. I use mine multiple times per day, every day.

The thing I use the least? While I was waiting for my tractor to be delivered I spent money and time (OCD-related) building a first class carry-all. It’s been on my tractor once. Sitting under a tarp outside since then.

Going to go about this different than the others beyond the Congrats intro.

If you have mud and hills think atv
If you have to plow and get lots of snow think tractor
If you’re obsessed with mowing things, tractor
A little of everything think atv or utv and renting a tractor

Tractor maintenance is a thing and they break. Flat tires and stuck in mud is a huge pia where an Atv is not so much and a utv is closer to an Atv in that regard. No till w an Atv and utv is easy but most other Atv implements beyond a sprayer suck (and things work well w a pto). Resale return is about the same value though buying anything new sucks. DEF w a new tractor sucks.

Atv gets the knod and this comes form a guy w two utvs and a tractor.