Decent affordable lawnmower

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
My lawn is about 3-4 acres, and there isnt anything easy about mowing it. Lots of stuff to mow around, trees, septic, kids play set, driveway, wood pile, firepit, etc... the lawn also isnt smooth, lots of dips, and bumps.
I have an older Cub Cadet with a 50" deck, it is seeing its age, and I would like to upgrade, and I dont really need a zero turn, or a deck under my tractor, or a finish deck for behind, because the lawn is so hard to mow.

I am not a fan of box store disposable mowers, and I dont really want to spend $10,000 on a new commercial mower, so I was thinking buying a used commercial mower, but how do you know the value, or know what is a good machine, and what isnt? How many hours is to many? Does anyone here have experience with them, and can recommend something good, and an approximate value of them?

I see some on Facebook, and auctions quite often, but knowledge is key, and I have none so I am afraid I would just be buying junk, and paying way too much for it.

I’ve got 8-10 years out of some of those box store mowers. I’ve got the same amount of lawn as you do and you can buy 3 of them over 20-30 years and still be cheaper than a new commercial mower. Although I should talk because a couple years ago I bought a JD 1025R. Of course it’s used for a lot more than mowing. It’s just my opinion if you bought a used commercial mower you’d be buying a lot of problems.

I can't imagine mowing 3-4 acres with anything other than a zero turn. I mow 1.5 acres in 35-40 min. I ran a commercial lawn mowing business for years, if you don't want to ride, the walk-behinds with a sulky do a better job cutting, only difference is comfort. Most of the commercial companies are making mowers you stand on the back of now, too. Once you give up a lawn tractor, you'll never go back.

I purchased a used Toro zero turn with 60" deck for $1600 about 5 years ago for my hunting cabin. It was well used when I bought it, it mows about 2 acre there still, and still going strong. Most commercial guys maintain their machines well.

i borrow my father in laws $10,000 60" Gravely. Mows fast, but It is torture on bumps. Spent many hours trucking 5 gallon buckets ontop of every old orchard stump sinkhole. Bought a lawn roller last year too.

Took a quick peek at home depot, they have a john deere S180 for $3600 24hp 54" deck. They have a 54" Toro sero turn for $4600. The john deere has their own branded engine..... I'd look into that some more. The toro has a kawasaki engine....

I own a 42" tow behind mower. It does the job and cuts real quick when I use the mower instead of the ATV. However, you almost do twice the distance going around obstacles, turning around, or not make efficient lanes. Killed a few spruce trees not looking forwards and much as I look backward. I mow about 3 acres of open backyard in additonal to 5 acres of more well groomed stuff. 2 or 3 foodplots, and grass n weeds. Mow the plots monthly and the bacyard every 2-3 weeks. Father-in-law gets grumpy when I use the zero turn bac there, but in all reality the backyard is more level and has been completely rock picked over the years with reseeding and spring harrow passes. Litterally filled up hundreds of stumpholes over the years back there.

It's a hard choice, zero turn cuts fast but can be a bullride. It takes about 30-40% longer with a 54" cub cadet regular mower. Probably get a good tractor again, 25hp 54" deck. Likely not getting rid of the 42" swisher anytime soon. Bought a new 13hp motor for it. The original 11hp motor has rod knock, but has for 2 years. I change the silver glitter goo about every 5 hours of run time with 15w40 and a bt of STP oil thickener.

Last edited:
On the commercial vs consumer brands, a bit of info for zero turns. Gravely has been owned by Ariens for a number of yrs now. Yrs ago probably more differences but now both are built in same factory in Brillion, WI.

Now you can buy an Ariens zero turn for cheaper than Gravely brand and not that much separates them now in build and parts as yrs ago when separate factories. Economy of scale and all factors in.

Had a former manager that went the Ariens zero turn direction and was happy with price and quality.

In regards to others that use Kawasaki engine. They make a darn good motor. My 1993 Deere lawn tractor bought used over 20 yrs ago has twin cyl. Kawasaki engine and guy who does resale on old mowers claims he hardly ever has to rebuild the Kawasaki's mechanically even after upteen hours. I did have to replace the ignition module a couple yrs ago. Btw, try to source from Kawasaki seller vs. Deere on those parts. Saved well over a 100 bucks finding a part cross reference. Same ignition module used on some Kawasaki motorcycles.

Commercial quality mowers in gas are good to about 1500 hours before troubles generally start most lawn care guys upgrade at about that point. Diesel powered probably double those hours for the engine.

I’ve got a Grasshopper 327 Big Block gas it’s a nice mower but a bit expensive when I bought it new.

I’ve also got a Scag Turf Tiger I picked up used great mower very fast but ride is a rough.

I just bought a used Kubota diesel G1800 with low hours some guy had it at his lake house and it didn’t get used heavily nice little unit for its age and I gave $1300. This one will go to my mother in-laws to replace an old Murray that the goody is used up on. She definitely prefers a tractor style mower I bought the Scag for her yard my boys mow her lawn but she still likes to drag her garden trailer around the yard and putter around with yard work at age 86.

I would suggest a zero turn style mower if you have a lots of obstacles in your yard unless it’s on a hill then stick to a tractor style.

Letting the air cooled engines run a minute to cool down, frequently cleaning the air fins, keeping the air filter clean, and doing that valve adjustment does wonders for small engine life......

MY club had a junky pushmower nobody cared for, ran like total junky. Air filter was so dirty, I have no idea how the motor just didn't suck it in.... That piece of junk from the 70s still lives on.

I’ve got 8-10 years out of some of those box store mowers. I’ve got the same amount of lawn as you do and you can buy 3 of them over 20-30 years and still be cheaper than a new commercial mower. Although I should talk because a couple years ago I bought a JD 1025R. Of course it’s used for a lot more than mowing. It’s just my opinion if you bought a used commercial mower you’d be buying a lot of problems.

I have a Kubota LX2610 I can get a belly mower, or a rear finish mower, but a new belly mower is $5000, and I use my tractor often, all year, I don’t really want to remove and install the belly mower every week. Also a rear mower, wouldn’t be very good on my yard.

I can't imagine mowing 3-4 acres with anything other than a zero turn. I mow 1.5 acres in 35-40 min. I ran a commercial lawn mowing business for years, if you don't want to ride, the walk-behinds with a sulky do a better job cutting, only difference is comfort. Most of the commercial companies are making mowers you stand on the back of now, too. Once you give up a lawn tractor, you'll never go back.

I purchased a used Toro zero turn with 60" deck for $1600 about 5 years ago for my hunting cabin. It was well used when I bought it, it mows about 2 acre there still, and still going strong. Most commercial guys maintain their machines well.

My lawn is not really mower friendly. About 4 years ago, my yard was forest. I have bumps, ruts, roots sticking out, lots of stuff to mow around. A zero turn would be destroyed in no time. A stand up model, I would probably bounce off, and I don’t want to stand up while mowing.

i borrow my father in laws $10,000 60" Gravely. Mows fast, but It is torture on bumps. Spent many hours trucking 5 gallon buckets ontop of every old orchard stump sinkhole. Bought a lawn roller last year too.

Took a quick peek at home depot, they have a john deere S180 for $3600 24hp 54" deck. They have a 54" Toro sero turn for $4600. The john deere has their own branded engine..... I'd look into that some more. The toro has a kawasaki engine....

I own a 42" tow behind mower. It does the job and cuts real quick when I use the mower instead of the ATV. However, you almost do twice the distance going around obstacles, turning around, or not make efficient lanes. Killed a few spruce trees not looking forwards and much as I look backward. I mow about 3 acres of open backyard in additonal to 5 acres of more well groomed stuff. 2 or 3 foodplots, and grass n weeds. Mow the plots monthly and the bacyard every 2-3 weeks. Father-in-law gets grumpy when I use the zero turn bac there, but in all reality the backyard is more level and has been completely rock picked over the years with reseeding and spring harrow passes. Litterally filled up hundreds of stumpholes over the years back there.

It's a hard choice, zero turn cuts fast but can be a bullride. It takes about 30-40% longer with a 54" cub cadet regular mower. Probably get a good tractor again, 25hp 54" deck. Likely not getting rid of the 42" swisher anytime soon. Bought a new 13hp motor for it. The original 11hp motor has rod knock, but has for 2 years. I change the silver glitter goo about every 5 hours of run time with 15w40 and a bt of STP oil thickener.

I have been working on making my yard smoother and more mower friendly, but it’s a work in progress right now.

My lawn is not really mower friendly. About 4 years ago, my yard was forest. I have bumps, ruts, roots sticking out, lots of stuff to mow around. A zero turn would be destroyed in no time. A stand up model, I would probably bounce off, and I don’t want to stand up while mowing.
Sounds like you need a box blade before you buy a mower and level your yard some.

Zero turn will be your friend I think. Otherwise plant majority of lawn in a pollinator type mix and carry on with garden tractor.

I have one and started working on it last summer. But it is a work in progress.

Good lawn roller helps. If it's not 24 inches in diameter, fill it with sand.

If you got a buddy with a skid steer, rent a power rake.

We are on year six with a John Deere Z335E mower. I have posted annual reviews on Green Tractor Talk about this mower and the John Deere 3025E purchased at the same time. We currently mow 2 acres, uneven, rough terrain. I had to replace a front wheel bushing (cheap and easy), but otherwise the mower has been great. The current model is pretty much the same mower, and should give plenty of service life. Again, our area mowed in very rough, with lots of trees to go around, elevation changes and brush. Serving is very easy, and its is plenty comfortable for weekly mowing of this size area.

Good lawn roller helps. If it's not 24 inches in diameter, fill it with sand.

If you got a buddy with a skid steer, rent a power rake.
I see the landscapers at work use these. They are awesome. They pulverize, smooth, and kick all the roots,rocks, ect ahead of the skidsteer.

Turn 3 acres into prairie flower mix ... then buy a smaller mower.
This gets my vote. I mow a little over an acre with a 52" Gravely. It drinks about 2-2.5 gallons of fuel at each go. I can't imagine mowing 3-4 acres with it.

If you're committed to mowing it all and on budget, look at a small diesel tractor with a finish mower. You can find some from the 80 or 90s that will run forever and sip fuel.

This gets my vote. I mow a little over an acre with a 52" Gravely. It drinks about 2-2.5 gallons of fuel at each go. I can't imagine mowing 3-4 acres with it.

If you're committed to mowing it all and on budget, look at a small diesel tractor with a finish mower. You can find some from the 80 or 90s that will run forever and sip fuel.

I live in the northland, zone 3b. My mowing season isnt very long, first mowing typically June, then if it is a dry summer, no mowing July through mid August, then all done mowing for the year first week of September.

My house is in the middle of a woods, and my driveway is about 100 yards or so long. So just to keep the woods away from the house, and with a septic, the yard lays out rather large, but in reality the treeline isnt far from structures, so how everything is layed out, I couldnt shrink the yard much. With being surrounded by woods, and being so far north, anything on the south border of my yard, doesnt get a lot of sun either.

Last edited:
Just roundup it until you get it level and smooth then plant whatever grass you wantZ