Two Growth Spurts per Year?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
We had an exceptional growing year with record corn crops. Good rainfall and decent heat units.

Some of my largest chestnut crab scion looked like it had 2 growth spirts. There is a collar on it. I thought that perhaps I had missed a few spots while pruning a year ago.

Then I looked at one Kinder Krisp and it has a growth collar about half way up it's length. I grafted it last spring, so there is no question.

How common is this? Certain varieties more than others?

A number of years ago, I had 2 growth spurts on jack pine and on spruce.

I noticed that as well while doing some pruning this week. I am sure there is a reason behind it, but I cant tell you for sure.

I noticed that as well while doing some pruning this week. I am sure there is a reason behind it, but I cant tell you for sure.
Was it more common with smaller /crab type varieties?

Was it more common with smaller /crab type varieties?

To be honest I didnt really pay attention to which varieties I noticed it on.

Did you have a drought in the middle of the summer followed by a good chunk of rain Art? That would be the only thing that I could think of that would make them have a couple growth spurts.

We did not have a real drought, but maybe a very short dry period.

I wonder if a colder period would do it.

I heard of an older gentleman who used to raise Norway spruce in containers. His Godson told me that the older guy would carry those spruce in and out of a root cellar during the summer and get several whirls of branches. I can't remember how long he would keep them in the root cellar between growth spurts.