All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Two Growth Spurts per Year?

sandbur

5 year old buck +
We had an exceptional growing year with record corn crops. Good rainfall and decent heat units.

Some of my largest chestnut crab scion looked like it had 2 growth spirts. There is a collar on it. I thought that perhaps I had missed a few spots while pruning a year ago.

Then I looked at one Kinder Krisp and it has a growth collar about half way up it's length. I grafted it last spring, so there is no question.

How common is this? Certain varieties more than others?

A number of years ago, I had 2 growth spurts on jack pine and on spruce.

I noticed that as well while doing some pruning this week. I am sure there is a reason behind it, but I cant tell you for sure.

I noticed that as well while doing some pruning this week. I am sure there is a reason behind it, but I cant tell you for sure.
Was it more common with smaller /crab type varieties?

Was it more common with smaller /crab type varieties?

To be honest I didnt really pay attention to which varieties I noticed it on.

Did you have a drought in the middle of the summer followed by a good chunk of rain Art? That would be the only thing that I could think of that would make them have a couple growth spurts.

We did not have a real drought, but maybe a very short dry period.

I wonder if a colder period would do it.

I heard of an older gentleman who used to raise Norway spruce in containers. His Godson told me that the older guy would carry those spruce in and out of a root cellar during the summer and get several whirls of branches. I can't remember how long he would keep them in the root cellar between growth spurts.