Tumor

Howboutthemdawgs

5 year old buck +
Wonder if this is concerning. Just looked back and he doesn’t have this large knot earlier this year. He’s one I’m hoping makes it, I’ve passed on him a couple times. Now I’m worried he’s got something going on. He doesn’t look bad off but I’d hate to find him dead this offseason. I could probably kill him before season ends, well I know I could kill him over this feeder but I’m not doing that, I may just have to see if that thing gets worse or he starts looking bad. It’s not your typical jaw compaction deal I’ve seen before.
A72273C0-6407-4419-88F9-FEFB8B260069.jpeg

Another angle 55E57CF5-BDFA-4A7E-BF06-E89A4F706B3E.jpeg

I’d say it’s an infected puncture wound and will probably burst before to long. Whether it’s fatal or not is hard to tell. We had one coming into the feeder last year with a similar type growth lower on the neck for about a week and then one day he showed up with a big hole oozing a bunch of liquid out. Unfortunately he disappeared a couple of weeks later. I don’t think he made it but he had other issues also. He looked like an elderly man with a cane hobbling into the yard every night.

That's nasty looking. My dad killed an 8 pointer a few years back that looked normal when he shot it, but the neighbor had pictures of it that summer with a bowling ball sized growth on its neck. That infection healed prior to hunting season, but when we skinned the deer it just looked off somehow. The fat was a strange color and didn't seem quite right. It must take a long time for those infections to completely clear out of their system.

I bet your deer will recover and he probably should be good for the dinner table next year. I'm not sure I'd eat a dear with a goiter like that now though.

My Dad's 2018 buck. We think it got gored in the neck. Was also blind in the left eye.

Dad 2018 Buck.jpg

I dont think its anything to be concerned about. My guess is it will go away and probably not be there next year. Tumors like that seem to be common with tall the things they run into. He looks healthy.

Try to watch if he sheds earlier than the rest, that's a good indicator of their health. If hes the first to shed then hes maybe not doing so well.

There is actually a bacteria on their hide that causes that infection sometimes when they take a puncture wound. It will probably get better but there will always be a little infection trapped in there. It will still have some nasty green puss when you cape him….

This one has doubled in size

Attachments

• tumor2.jpg
    tumor2.jpg
    346.8 KB · Views: 30
That might be pretty gross.I ended up having to throw out entire buck last year but no tumor.It had been gored behind shoulder and was solid puss