All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trolling the Dark Side

At some point you just have to let it all go with QDMA because it is what it is and they are out of touch with things in this area and that isn't going to change. On the Buffalo County episode of "Big Deer" they asked Kip why the hunting was down in BC in 2013 and he blamed CWD and EHD, both which have not occurred here. The two culprits obviously were the hard winter and over-harvest allowed by the DNR, the same as you MN guys deal with. What a great opportunity that would have been to shed light to part of the real issue.

Pequot Lakes wouldn't be such a big deal if they were just temporarily down. But to my knowledge, this has gone on for over six years....ever since I got "involved" with QDMA. The P.L. club never really formed, never held a banquet or even a meeting that I am aware of. The originator listed does not live at the address or have a phone. It's completely bogus and I tried to join it for many years. Always being told to be patient. I made lots of calls to try to get involved here. Bogus deal. Disingenuous listing of a branch that never was. THEN the dark side's forum (Lindsay Thomas Jr - aka "the Weasel") BANS me for LIFE making it an issue, and won't discuss it with me. Even after I have paid their silly dues for several years. I oughtta start a class-action law suit. ;) He did say they have several other branches that were also inactive.

I should be happy and not expose this fraud? Yeah.....Riiiiight. DUH Maybe I should be grateful.....as they don't do anything for MN anyway.

Send your check payable to Sandbur and I'll sign you up right away. Soon as I find them and meanwhile I can make use of your money.

I see Arizony has treated you well with the new red swim suit. Better replace the shocks before returning to Mn.

At some point you just have to let it all go with QDMA because it is what it is and they are out of touch with things in this area and that isn't going to change. On the Buffalo County episode of "Big Deer" they asked Kip why the hunting was down in BC in 2013 and he blamed CWD and EHD, both which have not occurred here. The two culprits obviously were the hard winter and over-harvest allowed by the DNR, the same as you MN guys deal with. What a great opportunity that would have been to shed light to part of the real issue.

I agree with you to some extent shawn, but it is total BS that a national recognized deer organization can spew misinformation like that that and they must be called out on it when they do. I can't believe he said they had CWD in Buffalo and some of the outfitters up there did not call him out publicly on that fact. Sh!t like that can cut into a guys bottom line when your livelihood depends on a healthy, quality deer herd. Those QDMA a$$clowns are so far out of touch with anything north of Tennessee that it isn't even funny, oh they still are pretty active in MI, but that is the exception, not the rule.

Hope the guy is not waiting by his computer for a response!:eek:
It's even funnier if you have the inside scoop!;) And believe me, he already knows what his reply will be.:D

It's even funnier if you have the inside scoop!;) And believe me, he already knows what his reply will be.:D

I was wondering if something fishy was going on... I had to add something to stir the pot.

I agree with you to some extent shawn, but it is total BS that a national recognized deer organization can spew misinformation like that that and they must be called out on it when they do. I can't believe he said they had CWD in Buffalo and some of the outfitters up there did not call him out publicly on that fact. Sh!t like that can cut into a guys bottom line when your livelihood depends on a healthy, quality deer herd. Those QDMA a$$clowns are so far out of touch with anything north of Tennessee that it isn't even funny, oh they still are pretty active in MI, but that is the exception, not the rule.

I was flipping though and caught the show on Monday so it was news to me this set of misinformation was out there. I'm not sure how many outfitters get the Sportsman's channel so it might have flown under the radar. A friend of mine is an outfitter in BC so I may have to mention this to him.

I talked to Kip for 45 minutes last spring and he had a lot of the same misinformation about disease in MN. He talked about how great things are in the SE and knew nothing about the rest of the state. He mentioned that it may be like areas of northern maine, NH, Vermont etc. where it is big woods and can only support <5 dpsm. Figured that was all I needed to hear, nothing was going to happen through them.

I can see how some guys like foggy, Stu and sandbur who were members for quite a few years and contributed to the forums quite a bit have a harder time getting over it. Or Bat Man who was actually involved in chapter but had a hard time getting responses from Kip and others. I only knew about QDMA <3 years so once MDDI and the QHMG got going I was happy to switch over to that.

I would mention it for sure. If the QDMA cannot get their information straight, they should just shut the he!! up and leave the northern deer herds to be managed by guys who don't think 40 degrees is cold.

I was wondering if something fishy was going on... I had to add something to stir the pot.
:cool:Oh you guys are dogs! Dirty dogs I tell you! Funny stuff, I wonder how long before someone "over there" catches on?;) :D

I talked to Kip for 45 minutes last spring and he had a lot of the same misinformation about disease in MN. He talked about how great things are in the SE and knew nothing about the rest of the state. He mentioned that it may be like areas of northern maine, NH, Vermont etc. where it is big woods and can only support <5 dpsm. Figured that was all I needed to hear, nothing was going to happen through them.

I can see how some guys like foggy, Stu and sandbur who were members for quite a few years and contributed to the forums quite a bit have a harder time getting over it. Or Bat Man who was actually involved in chapter but had a hard time getting responses from Kip and others. I only knew about QDMA <3 years so once MDDI and the QHMG got going I was happy to switch over to that.

If that were true then nature would have self corrected and the excess deer would have starved off before they were shot off like the DNR directed. Seems to me that Northern MN had a number of years where the populations much higher than that and mass starvation did not occur.

This is my point about them not changing, see this thread on the MI forum from 2007. To make change, you either make them irrelevant by not talking about them or your create a home (competitor) to give others a place to move onto.

http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/showthread.php?s=8638fa10fb6396a0ece5c13876d7f2f9&t=214493
WOW! Checked out the first page of that thread, and when I got to the bottom, I noticed it was 17 pages worth of responses:eek:, they must have pi$$ed someone off in MI, but there are many who love "corporate" there as well.

This lack of understanding the situation makes me wonder if NDA will ever function.

Our statewide MDHA does not seem to be able to make needed changes very well......gotta wonder how a national organization can serve local interests??

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. I think it's dangerous to give such few individuals say in any mgmt discussions without an elected representative process because they may not share your point of view yet our politicians and agencies will act as if they speak for all of us if it's in line with what they want.

Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. Unless the representative model is different, the same result is probably in order to the extent where you would view the representative agency to be ineffective.

Last edited:

I need to say upfront that I don't have strong, negative feelings for QDMA. In fact, I believe they have helped more than they have hurt. That said, they are a business. Like many businesses, they began by creating a need/problem and then sold themselves as the answer to satisfying that need/solving that problem. Also like many businesses, they built much of that "need/problem" on a foundation of, I'll be nice here, less than accurate info.

They partially sold QDMA on fallacies such as it being "unhealthy" for young bucks to breed, when they knew all along that it wasn't and that young bucks will breed even in the populations with the healthiest possible age dynamics. They indirectly promoted the beliefs of 1:10+ buck:doe ratios being not only being possible, but wide spread. No, I don't recall them every using numbers like that, but they sure pushed out of whack buck:doe ratios as being an issue and I sure never saw them even feebly attempt to dispel the notion that ratios were that badly out of whack until the last few years, when too many others called BS on ratios like those. They pushed the idea that does weren't being successfully bred during their first estrus cycle, because the ratios were too out of whack to be able to catch them that first go around, knowing full well that is a rarity in wild populations. Heck, they even went so far as trying to say that was why the southern rut is so drawn out, knowing darn well that it really stems from a bunch of factors, and ratios isn't one of them (the biggest is really that there is no biological reason for the majority of southern deer to breed within a tight window, as they don't experience "winter" like northern deer). The biggest one of all was selling that it was harder on/unhealthy for a mature buck to be the only one tending a glut of does than being in a population with numerous mature bucks that must pound the snot out of each other and compete like crazy for every breeding opportunity they could score.

I could go on, but I hope that's enough to make my point. QDMA was built on a foundation that contained more than just a little self serving "misinformation." To expect them to change that is like expecting companies to stop misleading potential clients with their ads. It's just not going to happen. As with most every business out there, within reason, their purpose is to do as little as they can for as much money as practically possible. I think where this is missed by most is that they take their "nonprofit" status seriously. QDMA is about as nonprofit as I am. Heck, I bet I do more pure "nonprofit" work than they do (if viewed as a percentage of the work I do), and would lay good $ that many "for profit" businesses do, as well. Accept that they are a business and their moves make a lot more sense.

I would mention it for sure. If the QDMA cannot get their information straight, they should just shut the he!! up and leave the northern deer herds to be managed by guys who don't think 40 degrees is cold.

This got a chuckle out of me. I was think how nice the last couple of day were that were just above freezing.

PM me if you have computer skills and would like to help me on my next project.

I can troll, but I can't post. Curiously, I signed up for the forum over there a while back. I never rec'd an activation email. I have now sent them 4 messages trying to solve the problem, but up to this point, have received absolutely NO RESPONSE! Coincidence or are they trolling us?