Hole In The Shoulder Buck is down

Crazy!
congrats on killing that warrior!!!

Yeah, definitely let us know if you butchered it yourself and if there was damage there.

Yeah, definitely let us know if you butchered it yourself and if there was damage there.
DITTO what bjseiler said... VERY curious what kind of residual damage /scarring you find in that area when it's skinned out. Regardless, incredibly nice bucks and congrats!

I'm not great at scoring deer just by looking at him, but if he only goes 157" color me surprised.That's a stud.He certainly has the "wow" factor.

Congrats on killing a stud

I'm not great at scoring deer just by looking at him, but if he only goes 157" color me surprised.That's a stud.He certainly has the "wow" factor.

Congrats on killing a stud
Not trying to down play this buck and score means absolutely nothing to me but.... High scoring deer, not that 157" isn't (the highest scoring deer) all have two things in common. Tine length and well tines. This buck has nice ones, twos, and threes but is lacking on fours. Again not trying to take anything away from it. It is substantially larger than any buck iv'e ever put my tag on.

Generally to get a truly high scoring typical buck you're going to need some long fours. It just goes to show how hard it is to get an established age class and then on top of age have the genetics to pump out some Booners. They are just not that common to say the least.

Congratulations on a great buck with an even better story behind him. I have to assume that if not for that wound this buck would have grossed another 10+" but who knows.

Hell of a deer and hell of a wound. Crazy is right.

Not trying to down play this buck and score means absolutely nothing to me but.... High scoring deer, not that 157" isn't (the highest scoring deer) all have two things in common. Tine length and well tines. This buck has nice ones, twos, and threes but is lacking on fours. Again not trying to take anything away from it. It is substantially larger than any buck iv'e ever put my tag on.

Generally to get a truly high scoring typical buck you're going to need some long fours. It just goes to show how hard it is to get an established age class and then on top of age have the genetics to pump out some Booners. They are just not that common to say the least.

Congratulations on a great buck with an even better story behind him. I have to assume that if not for that wound this buck would have grossed another 10+" but who knows.

This buck is lacking time length in general. He has everything else going for him, but it’s not just G4s. A mainframe 10 to score into the the 170s has got to have the trifecta - mass, length and width (I could make some jokes here but I will refrain since I’m not at deer camp anymore). That being said, I’m elated with the deer and don’t really care the score (though I was curious). He fits the age structure we are after and that’s what’s most important. If I can get more deer to 5.5+ we are going to gave some that score well into the 170’s.

This deer here has grown up on me I believe. I had pictures of him as a 2.5 last year right after I bought the place. He’s 3.5 this year and we passed him this weekend. He’s a stud of an 8 and real up and comer. In 2 more years (even as an 8) I think he pushes 160. Killing a 160+ 8 is on my bucket list so I hope he can help me with that.

Attachments

• 9806830F-6B96-41B9-A5C6-5DA710A52415.jpeg
    9806830F-6B96-41B9-A5C6-5DA710A52415.jpeg
    332.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 35399C35-6216-4AE9-98C8-0D9816AFBA7D.jpeg
    35399C35-6216-4AE9-98C8-0D9816AFBA7D.jpeg
    52.9 KB · Views: 27
  • C2E663B6-6FCB-4E94-B66A-724AD4C3C417.jpeg
    C2E663B6-6FCB-4E94-B66A-724AD4C3C417.jpeg
    85 KB · Views: 28
I love a wide buck but when it comes to score that width is deceiving. I think the average B&C width is only 18-18.5". Width is only one measurement no matter how wide they are.
I'm not an inch snob, just sayin.

That buck sure has width and mass.

Screenshot_2017-12-12-11-24-45-1.png

Not offended at all. Like I said, i'm not great at it. but i'm getting better.

He certainly has the frame that you're looking for. He'd make your heart skip a beat if you saw him working thru the woods

Congrats. And I'd rather kill a deer I've been chasing and have a history with that scores 150" over a deer I've never seen in my life that scores 10" more.

But, now that I think about it, I'd take either option

Congratulations on a beautiful buck Dukslayr, he is an absolute toad!!

Way to go! Congrats, thats a super buck!! Its a good thing you and your neighbor have such a good relationship. Its bittersweet, but i'm sure hes very happy for you.

He fits the age structure we are after and that’s what’s most important.

My neighbor and I just had this conversation after sharing pics of deer we have passed and want. (Yes I’m really lucky in the neighbors dept). We decided, we want to shoot a hamster. Just a 220 lbs hamster.

My neighbor and I just had this conversation after sharing pics of deer we have passed and want. (Yes I’m really lucky in the neighbors dept). We decided, we want to shoot a hamster. Just a 220 lbs hamster.
Well, unfortunately I’ve only got one neighbor (who owns only 40 acres) who’s fully vested in the mission. His brother in law who borders my north side puts heavy pressure on and any 125” 2.5 year is getting whacked. My good neighbor is trying to work on him...but I don’t have much faith. I’m going to try and lease the 200 to my east. And 250 to my southwest. If I had those 650 acres plus my good neighbors 40 I would feel a lot better about the nice young bucks surviving the orange army.

The recovery he made is amazing, are you sure it is the same deer and not his twin brother?

The recovery he made is amazing, are you sure it is the same deer and not his twin brother?
Well...no way to DNA test pictures but my neighbor followed him through recovery so we are confident it’s the same deer. The rack traits aren’t seen on any other deer we have

Very nice buck! congrats.