All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Transplanting wisdom?

JSanders

Yearling... With promise
Last weekend while out bush hogging some pasture edges and trails, my eye kept noticing little oaks 2-3' tall along the way. Last year I planted 100+ hardwoods, pears and crabapples in areas where some diversity is needed. So anyway, I have an abundance of various small sapling oaks.

So my question, If I wanted to transplant these, what is the best practice?
--Dig this this winter when they are dormant and immediately plant where I want them? Could I fertilize them in the ground now for a little boost?
--Dig now, pot and care for them and plant this winter? (this would be more difficult since I am not on-site but weekly).

Am I taking a chance on saplings/seedlings not knowing if they are from an abundant acorn producer?

Other suggestions?

Last edited:
In my area 2-3' oaks would be very difficult to dig up, transplant, and expect to have a good survival rate.

In my area 2-3' oaks would be very difficult to dig up, transplant, and expect to have a good survival rate.
Exactly!!! The tap root will be at least as long as the tree is tall.

I had stuck some leftover bareroot oaks in the ground a couple years ago and they grew good and were 3-4 ft tall.I have a guy that I get to come out once or twice a year in early spring and spade trees for me.I get a really good deal.last year I moved 20 cedars to make a screen and moved those oaks.Year before I moved 35 cedars for a screen.A 4ft tree won't even know it's been moved with a spade.Maybe you can rent one

Agree with everything said thus far. Been there, tried that and you don't want to try it with a shovel (not only big job to dig deep enough to get tap root, but few times I tried the trees still struggled and ultimately died). Spade is the way to go if you're determined to transplant versus plant new saplings in the spots you have in mind.

I don't think you want to fertilize now as you might stimulate fresh growth that won't harden and will winter kill.
I've read that to transplant you will have the best success by cutting around the tree with a spade in the spring and starting a rootball. Leave it in the ground and let it developed new radial roots behind the ones you cut. Then transplant while dormant. Not sure if this makes sense, or even answers your question... Google it for a more clear explanation.

Thank you all for the comments. No, I don't need added work, got enough of that as it is. Maybe, at best, I'll get some of the smaller 1' seedlings I find and see what happens. They won't have the tap root that deep yet. I'll still be buying some trees off WG and Nativ anyway.

I don't think you want to fertilize now as you might stimulate fresh growth that won't harden and will winter kill.
I've read that to transplant you will have the best success by cutting around the tree with a spade in the spring and starting a rootball. Leave it in the ground and let it developed new radial roots behind the ones you cut. Then transplant while dormant. Not sure if this makes sense, or even answers your question... Google it for a more clear explanation.
I remember reading something like that two for transplanting larger trees/shrubs. It's supposed to really lessen the transplant shock.