Tractor shed

momatt

5 year old buck +
I've been planting cedar trunks, quite a job. I drilled holes 30 to 36 inches deep and used the loader to get them in. Planning on spiking lumber around the sides to hang the tin. Will rabbit in 2x8 at the top and set commercial trusses on top.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 166
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 165
That's intense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must be south. That deep north and they would be pushed out of the ground in a few years.

I have an 8'x8' stand that I used 30 foot telephone poles for the uprights. I put them 6 feet into the ground. When I looked at the open bottom area, a light bulb went on. I put on a slant roof and enclosed the sides. I added an extension out the back and now I have a perfect place to park my Kubota out of the elements. Double duty use from a deer stand to a tractor shed.

A project like this is on my to-do list to get my implements out of the weather. Looking good...keep us posted on your progress as I'd like to see how things come together.

what is the advantage to putting them in upside down? Normally on cedar I use a draw knife to take the bark off.

yea.. 36 inches must be from the south! We are 4ft up here!

Putting them in upside down gives a little more meat for cutting joint at the top, and a little more wiggle room if the posts are not lined up. When you use milled lumber, you can set up batterboards and strings and get everything perfectly lined up. These poles taper and working by myself is a challenge. In fact, I had a big oops Saturday. One of the poles fell on my tractor, knocked the muffler off dented the hood and smushed the radiator cap. Luckily the exhaust manifold is ok, and the radiator neck is ok. I just spent 1,000 getting the radiator rebuilt last summer. I think I can pop the dent out with a mallet. I need to repaint the hood anyway. One thing is for sure, a 1962 Deere 4010 has a pretty solid hood!

interesting.. love to see how to do things different. Never considered flipping posts. Although.. I normally try and find as many pecker poles that are straight and true. I hate working with big heavy cedar. I would peel em though as it will give you issues later.

do you notch out for the batterboards and ledger boards too? How did you plumb the posts?