All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

shed hunt surprise

JFK52

5 year old buck +
This is the time of year that I look hard for sheds on my land. It has not greened up yet and the white sheds stand out on the ground if you can spot them. Last week with my helper, I drove around my property and put in fertilizer spikes at my 28 mature apple trees. The next day I noticed my driver's front tire low on air. I spotted what I thought was a roofing nail in the thread. Naturally, these are new tires with less than 4K miles on them.
Went to my mechanic and he tried to pull out the "roofing nail". Finally decided to dismount the tire and push it out from the inside. Imagine my surprise when the "roofing nail" turned out to be the top 2 inches of an antler tip. Somehow on my 122 acres, I managed to drive over a shed antler and imbed the tip into my tire. My helper and I were both looking for sheds and I was driving slow on my land in hopes of spotting sheds. Never saw or felt this rack as it went into my tire. Trying to figure out just where it could have happened as I drove mostly on my road system. Will have to back track my movements that day and see if I can find the rest of this rack.
I am putting the tip in a small bag and putting it on the wall at deer camp. The hole was repaired with a patch and plug. My farmer caught a small 4 point rack in the middle of a 12 acre alfalfa field just right a few years back and it took out his tractor front tire. My mechanic commented that he has been working on cars for over 30+ years and this is a first for him.

When you back track don't follow the same exact tire path. :emoji_astonished:

Doing it twice would be insult to injury.

Back when I first bought my farm I had a farmer friend plant some corn (and harvest part of it, leaving some for me and the deer).

The following spring he came back to do tillage on the corn ground and got a fork horn stuck in a front tire.

He told me I needed to grow bigger deer so he could see the antlers coming :emoji_nerd: