Erecting a ladder stand with one person

There is a serious amount of ground growth in the planned stand locations as a result of recent logging activities, mostly tall blackberry briers, weeds and trunk sprouts from extremely low cut stumps, thus the need for elevated stands. Conversely though there won't be many standing timber trees in the way of getting setup. Likely it will work on some locations and not others; a bracket and a ladder system such as you use may be needed for some of my intended stand locations as well. I'll give this hoist lift system a try and report back once I have some actual experience with it.

Sounds great! I'd love to see your experience with it.

I've added the j-bolt and pulley:

ab294980-c753-4a0f-9cc1-43a0cb4ed915.jpg

Thanks,

Jack

Well, I used the bracket a few times and found some issues. First, the force is against the lag bolt threads. Also, unless the pull is quite straight, the bracket wants to twist. When you put those two things together, it becomes problematic. So, today I decided to improve the bracket before moving a stand later this month. Here is the modified bracket:

10c5b985-c0ec-4cdb-9757-3b596d420354.jpg

I've added wings to the basic bracket to reduce twisting. I put holes in the top two wings so I can use a strap rather than the lag bolts. I still may use a lag bolt to hold the bracket in place while I strap it.

I'll report back how this works out.

Thanks,

Jack

Why do you need the "J" bolt? Seems like you are just asking for an issue, is it important to be able to remove the pulley.

If you can lift it up there then just tie the 2 ropes to top of stand and cross behind tree and tie off

Why do you need the "J" bolt? Seems like you are just asking for an issue, is it important to be able to remove the pulley.

The pulley I'm using hangs from and eye and swivels. The eye goes through the J-hook. Removal is easy, I just rotate the j-hook and it slips off..

If you can lift it up there then just tie the 2 ropes to top of stand and cross behind tree and tie off
That is the whole idea of this project. One man can't safely lift a big ladderstand (like a Millennium) into place. This approach lest me use a ladder to install the bracket and then a winch and pulley to lift the stand. Once the stand is vertical, I can easily and safely maneuver it from the ground.

I somehow missed this thread for 5 years. I have found it is easier to just buy new stands when you want one in a different spot, then it is to take them down, and move them. I set up 3 new ones last fall, it sucks a lot more then it did 15 years ago. The instructions tell you how to do it, I never figured out exactly what the instructions were actually trying to tell me. I had my wife in the woods helping me, I will have to find a different helper this year if I want to add/move any stands. If any of you have figured out a good way of doing this, plase add a video.

I somehow missed this thread for 5 years. I have found it is easier to just buy new stands when you want one in a different spot, then it is to take them down, and move them. I set up 3 new ones last fall, it sucks a lot more then it did 15 years ago. The instructions tell you how to do it, I never figured out exactly what the instructions were actually trying to tell me. I had my wife in the woods helping me, I will have to find a different helper this year if I want to add/move any stands. If any of you have figured out a good way of doing this, plase add a video.

The Millennium stands I like are much too expensive for me to leave them in an unused spot. I buy new stands when I want to add a location. The instructions always require multiple people to safely erect the stand. This is a method that allows me to do it by myself.

easiest way I know of to set up ladder stands is, again take a extension ladder into the woods with you, place a ratchet strap and a snatch block above where you want stand(sort of like the devise in above pic's just I skip the metal parts, just a strap and a snatch block works for me)

pull ladder stand up using an ATV winch o rope tided to it, that takes all the work out of it for me right there!
I have done this for 25+ yrs, makes life SO much easier, not to mention you actually get to see he view /shooting lanes before you set stand up, cannot tell you how many times I re adjust placement picking a different tree, just due to the view/shooting lanes w ere not that good as I had hoped for and found better spots, saving a ton of work by setting up the whole stand to find this info out!

if you have a ATV and can typically get to your possible locations, a little creativity and you an get the ATV to carry everything you need to do this
I have used my atv to carry everything, from 2-3 ladderstands, straps, tools, pole saws and even my dog LOL
can little tricky driving at times, but it has gotten to 99% of my stand set up locations for me!
on red atv thats a 24 ft ladder, and on other one its a 20 ft and a 15 ladder stand !!

Attachments

• atv1.jpeg
    atv1.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 15
  • atv3.jpeg
    atv3.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 031.JPG
    031.JPG
    791.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 033.JPG
    033.JPG
    677.6 KB · Views: 15
The Millennium stands I like are much too expensive for me to leave them in an unused spot. I buy new stands when I want to add a location. The instructions always require multiple people to safely erect the stand. This is a method that allows me to do it by myself.
No friends?

easiest way I know of to set up ladder stands is, again take a extension ladder into the woods with you, place a ratchet strap and a snatch block above where you want stand(sort of like the devise in above pic's just I skip the metal parts, just a strap and a snatch block works for me)

pull ladder stand up using an ATV winch o rope tided to it, that takes all the work out of it for me right there!
I have done this for 25+ yrs, makes life SO much easier, not to mention you actually get to see he view /shooting lanes before you set stand up, cannot tell you how many times I re adjust placement picking a different tree, just due to the view/shooting lanes w ere not that good as I had hoped for and found better spots, saving a ton of work by setting up the whole stand to find this info out!

if you have a ATV and can typically get to your possible locations, a little creativity and you an get the ATV to carry everything you need to do this
I have used my atv to carry everything, from 2-3 ladderstands, straps, tools, pole saws and even my dog LOL
can little tricky driving at times, but it has gotten to 99% of my stand set up locations for me!
on red atv thats a 24 ft ladder, and on other one its a 20 ft and a 15 ladder stand !!

That is what I tried first. The issue I found was with the strap/pulley it wanted to drag the stand up the tree providing a lot more resistance. The bracket does the same thing simply extending the pulley out from the tree so that when I lift the stand, it is lifted just in front of the tree. I noticed the stand you show in the pic is much smaller and lighter than the stands I'm using.

That is what I tried first. The issue I found was with the strap/pulley it wanted to drag the stand up the tree providing a lot more resistance. The bracket does the same thing simply extending the pulley out from the tree so that when I lift the stand, it is lifted just in front of the tree. I noticed the stand you show in the pic is much smaller and lighter than the stands I'm using.
yes it does drag things some what up the tree, but it gets things there, BUT even the larger buddy stands,(them that weight over a 150-200 lbs and then some??)
have placed a lot of them myself doing it the way I do
I can see where your design helps get things away from tree more , but for me, I just find what I do simple and not having to wrestle with hanging anything extra!

and keep in mind, that I also, use the ladder to attach all the straps that hold the ladder stand to the tree, I find placing the ladder behind things, and OR< using a wireless remote on winch(when working alone), I can push stand out from tree if dragging a lot and winching at same time, until I get the stand level as I want it
I find this the safest way for me to get the stands secured to the tree, rather than trying to climb the stand to do so!

I also like having my ladder with me to trim branches for shooting lanes, as many times its a branch I cannot reach standing on the ground alone that needs cutting, even with my pole saws!
just comes sin handy, all the more so when working alone!

I also use the ladder to hang hang on stands and install screw in steps or ladder sticks

Yes, i do the same thing. Once erected, I use the ladder to strap it in. Same with the pole saw. I loved hang-on stands the most and used them for many years. They are the best for archery because you can position them exactly where you want them going around branches for bottom cover. Unfortunately, as I'm getting older, and as my arthritis progresses, I don't feel safe getting into and out of them any more.

My bracket is really anything extra, it is just different. Either way, you're going up and hanging something. The pulley is integrated into the bracket. The only downside is the weight of the bracket now that I added the wings. I'll report back on how it works next time I get a chance to use it.

Slightly off topic.....but I thought I should show you the "high Forks" I made that are attached to a QD plate for my loader. Makes moving box blinds a fast one man job. Maybe something like this would work for your ladder stands? I moved 3 or four stands last season. Just took me a few hours. Gotta drive real slow and careful....but I have never had an issue to this point.

I have also moved a few of my Red Neck 10' high blinds this way.

Attachments

• deer-stand-mover.jpg
    deer-stand-mover.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 12
  • moving-deer-stand.jpg
    moving-deer-stand.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 12
Slightly off topic.....but I thought I should show you the "high Forks" I made that are attached to a QD plate for my loader. Makes moving box blinds a fast one man job. Maybe something like this would work for your ladder stands? I moved 3 or four stands last season. Just took me a few hours. Gotta drive real slow and careful....but I have never had an issue to this point.

I have also moved a few of my Red Neck 10' high blinds this way.

Interesting. Rather than risk putting the ladder against a round tree, if I can get my tractor to the location, I put the bucket up and use the ladder to climb into the bucket. With my height, I can stand in the bucket on a secure platform to attached the bracket and secure the stand.

Interesting. Rather than risk putting the ladder against a round tree, if I can get my tractor to the location, I put the bucket up and use the ladder to climb into the bucket. With my height, I can stand in the bucket on a secure platform to attached the bracket and secure the stand.
I also have used a tractor to lift things, from home made box blinds to ??
but you do have to be careful when being in a bucket, as if anything ever happens to the hydraulics , that bucket will drop like a rock
I have seen a few accidents from things like that enough that I won;t get in a bucket no more

I also have used a tractor to lift things, from home made box blinds to ??
but you do have to be careful when being in a bucket, as if anything ever happens to the hydraulics , that bucket will drop like a rock
I have seen a few accidents from things like that enough that I won;t get in a bucket no more
Yep, it is balancing risks. There is a risk with a ladder on a tree and a risk standing in a bucket...Can't criticize you for a different choice than mine.

Yep, it is balancing risks. There is a risk with a ladder on a tree and a risk standing in a bucket...Can't criticize you for a different choice than mine.
I agree, we used to use the buckets to cut tree's that grew over crop fields, did it almost every yr, till we had a bad accident, near death to a buddy, when a hose blew(and it was a pretty new hose too)
there is a ton of weight in a bucket and boom and when things let go things go bad fast
as Is aid, I seen a few others since then,
and yes, I know falling of a ladder can be bad, but you don;t have that added weight of things to crush you after the fall , so, it has a tad more danger IMO!, plus its a two person job many times and I work alone mostly these days!

but all things have risks so I agree, NO bash here, just offering food for thought! so anyone reading can make there own calls based on info, good bad and the??