Erecting a ladder stand with one person

easiest way I know of to set up ladder stands is, again take a extension ladder into the woods with you, place a ratchet strap and a snatch block above where you want stand(sort of like the devise in above pic's just I skip the metal parts, just a strap and a snatch block works for me)

pull ladder stand up using an ATV winch o rope tided to it, that takes all the work out of it for me right there!
I have done this for 25+ yrs, makes life SO much easier, not to mention you actually get to see he view /shooting lanes before you set stand up, cannot tell you how many times I re adjust placement picking a different tree, just due to the view/shooting lanes w ere not that good as I had hoped for and found better spots, saving a ton of work by setting up the whole stand to find this info out!

if you have a ATV and can typically get to your possible locations, a little creativity and you an get the ATV to carry everything you need to do this
I have used my atv to carry everything, from 2-3 ladderstands, straps, tools, pole saws and even my dog LOL
can little tricky driving at times, but it has gotten to 99% of my stand set up locations for me!
on red atv thats a 24 ft ladder, and on other one its a 20 ft and a 15 ladder stand !!

Our system is very similar.

I did not read every post in this thread, but some of you got much more elaborate than me. I just set my extension ladder on the back side of the tree I want to raise a stand, put a ratchet strap around the tree above my stand height, and hang one of these hook/pulleys on that ratchet strap with my lift rope run through the pulley. Pull the stand into place and clime the extension ladder to strap the stand to the tree. But honestly, as I age, I'm preferring my redneck blinds to ladder stands. :emoji_thinking:
Hook Pully.jpg

I did not read every post in this thread, but some of you got much more elaborate than me. I just set my extension ladder on the back side of the tree I want to raise a stand, put a ratchet strap around the tree above my stand height, and hang one of these hook/pulleys on that ratchet strap with my lift rope run through the pulley. Pull the stand into place and clime the extension ladder to strap the stand to the tree. But honestly, as I age, I'm preferring my redneck blinds to ladder stands. :emoji_thinking:
View attachment 42389
Yep, same concept. The only reason I decided to work on a bracket is that the stand rubs against the tree if I just strap the pulley to the tree.

Guys, Interesting Posts. I have gone through this same ordeal. I have hung multiple 2-man ladder stands on public land swamps for my kids to hunt out of. So I feel your pain. I used to hunt all public before I bought my property - so this was a yearly ritual.

One thing I do is I wear a harness with lineman’s loops and use my sticks (better than an extension ladder) to climb the tree and set a chocker strap and pully. I also set a choker and pull at the base of the tree (acts as a simple redirect). This helps me pull and lightly assist the stand while I walk it up.

At the base of the tree I rig a Prussik knot so that while I’m lifting I can take a break or reset the stand (they always want to swing).

You want to use good low-stretch rope for this.

When I get the stand in place, I climb up my sticks and I can safely set up all the ratchet straps.

In my previous life, I climbed communication towers, and I’ve used this set up to lift and lower fairly heavy loads (<100 lbs). I’ve seen arborists build a similar rigging set up as well.

And too add - I’m pretty calm at 200’ up - but an open face stand is not natural. The best thing about climbers and ladder stands is the feeling of safety from the front shooting rail and the stability it provides while shooting.