Tow Behind Spreader

Victor Van Meter

5 year old buck +
After spreading way too much fertilzier and pelletized lime by hand last year, I figure I will save myself some pain and suffering and get a tow behind spreader. The plot I will be using it on is pretty flat and smooth. Just looking for ideas and input on one that will work and not break the bank. Thanks.

VV

Vic what are you pulling it behind?

'78 Kubota B7100.

How many acres will you be working with?

I use a Agri-fab 175 pound spreader that is pulled behind my ATV. They are about $230 from Fleet Farm and they work great - they are ground drive, so there is no motor to worry about. Mine is about 10 years old and still working fine. The metal components are rusting now since I didn't clean the urea off well enough initially, but it still functions. I usually spread about 1000 pounds of fertilizer, seed, etc through it most years.

Small pull behind spreaders like that work fine for a few acres, but if you are talking about larger fields you might just want to rent a fertilizer buggy from the local co-op that sells the fertilizer. Those are pulled behind tractors and PTO powered I believe.

https://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/agri-fab-175-lb-atv-tow-spreader/0000000001647?bc=11315|11325|11343

This is like the one that I have. I'll probably pick up another one like this if they have a decent sale. I'll just keep the old one at my hunting land so I don't have to haul it back and forth when I need it. I use this spreader for broadcasting large seed like oats, soybeans, corn, peas, etc. I still use a hand spreader for small seeded things like clover and brassicas.

I have a tow behind, a 3pt and one mounted on ATV. The only one I use anymore is the ATV spreader, even for my lawn. If you have a quad I really suggest getting a rack mount unit. They never tip over. Easy to control and cheap. Only downside is they don't hold much material but it's pretty easy to toss a few bags on the other rack

3 acres at the most when all the work I need to get done gets done. This coming season, probably more like 2.

Kinda looking at this one.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI2uyMgrqd3wIVkgFpCh0BKA1EEAQYAiABEgJ4KfD_BwE

We’ve used that one in the past. They work fine for a few years spreading seed and fertilizer until the shaft eventually locks up. Biggest problem we’ve found with them is when you need to back up (very small turning radius) and it has a tendency to turn over on uneven ground (as in disced ground). Also, tires go flat often and it’s almost impossible to close it off while on the ATV/UTV. You’ll need to add a shield on it to deflect the fertilizer/seed from hitting the back of the vehicle, as it seems to throw it 360 degrees.

Our last agri fab locked up this year planting food plots and we moved to a receiver mounted 12v spreader. It was like night and day, so much better. You can control it from your seat, don’t have to get off to move it while backing up, can spread in reverse if it’s a long narrow plot, and it doesn’t tip over. Also, it has a lid so that you can continue to spread in the rain. I’d strongly recommend at least looking at those type before getting the pull behind, to see if it makes sense for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 acres at the most when all the work I need to get done gets done. This coming season, probably more like 2.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...MI2uyMgrqd3wIVkgFpCh0BKA1EEAQYAiABEgJ4KfD_BwE
I've got a JohnDeere that is about that size. Hate it! Track width is too narrow and it tips too easily... and the flinger/spreader plate thing sits too low for spreading in anything but the lowest plants. If/when I get a new one it will be wide and tall, or rack mounted.

I agree with above comments on the one you are looking at. Hit a small rut turning and think after having dumped your load tipping over several times, you'll get pretty frustrated.

I bought this one 2 years ago. Each year i spread 1000 # urea, 1000 # WR, and another 700-800 lbs of of soy beans and various seed. You can vary the spread width by changing the motor speed. Holds over 100 # in the hopper.

FIMCO Spreader

I agree with above comments on the one you are looking at. Hit a small rut turning and think after having dumped your load tipping over several times, you'll get pretty frustrated.

I bought this one 2 years ago. Each year i spread 1000 # urea, 1000 # WR, and another 700-800 lbs of of soy beans and various seed. You can vary the spread width by changing the motor speed. Holds over 100 # in the hopper.

FIMCO Spreader

Looks like a nice spreader. What is that "ring" (kind of yellow/gold colored) for?

-John

Is there an advantage of a tow behind over a 3 pt spreader?

bill

Looks like a nice spreader. What is that "ring" (kind of yellow/gold colored) for?

-John

A guard to keep hands and other objects from the spreading disc wheel.

Have one similar to this, my favorite for fertilizer and large seed.
2128537.jpg
Also have the Fimco, not impressed. (poor quality control in manufacture) But after lots of time adjusting, bending, and tinkering works OK.

The only ATV spreader I've seen that's worth a cent is the Herd. I think I've owned all the other junk.

'78 Kubota B7100.

Why not a 3pt? They are much more convenient. Regardless of 3pt or towbehind, keep in mind, unless you want to break the bank and buy a herd, most are pretty coarse. You won't be able to spread low rates of small seed like Clover without some kind of carrier.

Thanks,

Jack

If your looking for a pull type and the gear box is sealed in plastic run the other way. That means the gears are plastic and if used to much or go to fast they will break or melt. Agra Fab comes to mind with this.

Why not a 3pt? They are much more convenient. Regardless of 3pt or towbehind, keep in mind, unless you want to break the bank and buy a herd, most are pretty coarse. You won't be able to spread low rates of small seed like Clover without some kind of carrier.

Thanks,

Jack

Jack ... we know you like complexity ... real simple ... he has 2 .... maybe 3 acres to cover ... put your square rule & geometric conversion charts away.

Quite honestly ... for 2-3 acres I can't believe he isn't hand seeding all of it. I only recently added my ATV mount FIMCO after hand seeding 7-10 acres every year.

Have one similar to this, my favorite for fertilizer and large seed.

Also have the Fimco, not impressed. (poor quality control in manufacture) But after lots of time adjusting, bending, and tinkering works OK.

FIMCO are pretty simple ... add seed, drive, turn on motor, open gate ... I didn't have as many problems as you did ...