3pt spreader vs pull behind

4wanderingeyes

5 year old buck +
I didnt rinse out my spreader last spring, and the urea killed it. It was just a ~200 pound pull behind that I pulled with my atv. Now I have a compact tractor, and I was wondering if replacing the pull behind with a 3pt spreader, rather then buying another pull behind would be a better option.

I use it to spread lime on my yard, and 3 small 3/4 acre food plots, I also would use it for spreading urea, pot ash, and potassium mixes. I have also use it for spreading grass seed in my yard, and winter rye, wheat, and oats.

The 3pt spreader I was looking at is this one, what is your thoughts? Will I still need a pull behind for the yard stuff? Or the 3 pt will be a much better option for all of it?

I love my pull behind and have spread many a ton of product through it including everything you did, but I made sure to clean and oil it after every use. A 3 pt is great for plotting purposes, but not so much for yard applications. You would be well served to have both if you do not want to use the tractor in the yard.

I'd say you need both. Lawns and tractors don't mix too well, Tire damage. 3pt spreaders are very handy. You can spread small grains ok with almost all of them.

I'd still want a drop spreader for lime. And you'll still need a smaller boadcast or a drop spreader to meter grass seed ok. To do a 1/2 ton of lime on an acre of land is about $150 for pelletized and $90 for powdered lime in bags. The calicum equivalent is higher on the powdered lime too.