Tool'n Knife Builds

Here's something I've been thinking about for a while and finally got around to doing it. I think it turned of pretty good for my first attempt.

Interesting. Look forward to seeing finished product.

Interesting. Look forward to seeing finished product.
To fully cure the epoxy needs 30 days. I'm not going to rush it.

I've been wanting to make a blade from Stainless steel for some time now. I'm finally caught up with orders so it's time. I have a couple profiled, once I get the bevels ground in its off to heat treat. Never having heat-treated Stainless before it could be a flop but hopefully everything works.
20230418_142849.jpg

Here's my latest custom order/build. Its a bowie blade with a modified hidden tang. Hickory handle, brass bear claw pins, bear etch, stacked brass and leather guard. The guys initials inlaid into the sheath. Lanyard & leg strap with camo para cord & 9mm casings. The blade is 9" long.

20230413_121629.jpg20230413_121718.jpg

I've been wanting to make a blade from Stainless steel for some time now. I'm finally caught up with orders so it's time. I have a couple profiled, once I get the bevels ground in its off to heat treat. Never having heat-treated Stainless before it could be a flop but hopefully everything works.
View attachment 51800
Ready to make a drop blood knife yet?

Ready to make a drop blood knife yet?
I'm game, but I've got others in the fire. How long are the blades on those? I'm guessing about 1".

I'm game, but I've got others in the fire. How long are the blades on those? I'm guessing about 1".

I’d say 1 1/2 inches. Guys are making them with 2 blade broadheads. But those look cheesy to me.

I’d say 1 1/2 inches. Guys are making them with 2 blade broadheads. But those look cheesy to me.
Handle preferences

Handle preferences
Let me think about that. I’d love to use a piece of sword fish bill but don’t have one at the moment.

Looking back on my records it's been 2 years since I made my first knife. To date I've made 80+ and have them in 10 different states. Stainless steel has been on my mind for a while and the time has come. I've been wanting to do it and with orders and hesitation it hasn't happened. I have 2 blanks cut and ground ready to be heat treated and tempered from 14C28N Stainless Steel. Heat treat is about the same as 1095 high carbon, only it has a higher more critical temp and a soak time at that temp. Quenching is where the differences start. It can be oil quenched but it's not recommended unless you use a very specific oil. So I'm going to do a plate quench, how this works is to sandwich the hot blade between 2 pieces of aluminum until it gets to room temp or around 70 degrees. The plates should be at least 7/16" thick, I happened to have some 1/2" so I cut it up to use. A side benefit of quenching between the plate is there will be no warping. After the quench the blades will be cryo treated, they will go into the deep freeze anywhere from 2-20 hours. Coming out of cryo they go straight into the tempering oven for a 2 hour cycle. I'm hoping everything works and turns out as the 14C28N is 3x the cost of 1095. We have plans for today and I don't think I'll have the time so Saturday is the day.

After a restless night I can now relax. I did the heat-treat temper test on the 14c28n stainless blades this morning. Here's the video of one test.

The SS Benjamín I posted the heat treat temper test on has been put on hold. But I did finish the SS fillet knife. It has a maple burl handle sandwiched between a piece of black polycarbonate. I had brass pins and a brass insert behind the blue and red poly guard. Hand tooled sheath to hold it. I did the edge test on it and it holds up just as good as the 1095. Since the SS that I used is hard to get and cost considerably more than 1095 i did order some to keep on hand.
20230428_111038.jpg20230428_111051.jpg20230428_111137.jpg 20230428_111024.jpg

Stamping patterns in leather. Here's a short video.

I added an airbrush to my inventory. Gave it a try today.
20230502_183942.jpg

Here's a knife I was given freedom on the build. Since the client guides bear hunts I incorporated a bear claw pin in the handle and bear stamp on the sheath. The blade is stone washed and etched with the business name. The handle is black walnut and has a very different grain to it. I also did a little airbrush shading on the sheath. I hope he likes it. Going to deliver it tomorrow. 20230507_145019.jpg20230507_145038.jpg

Here is my 2nd knife made from 14c28n Which is a very high quality Swedish Stainless Steel. The blade was etched in ferric chloride and then vibratory tumbled with ceramic media. Handle scales are black and green G10. The sheath is a drop in, deer head stamped, basket weaves and air brush shaded. I'm making this my personal carry, but I've said that before and someone comes along and wants to buy it. I figure I can always make myself another .
20230514_135137.jpg20230514_135150.jpg20230514_135203.jpg

Lookn good tooln!

Here's a knife I was given freedom on the build. Since the client guides bear hunts I incorporated a bear claw pin in the handle and bear stamp on the sheath. The blade is stone washed and etched with the business name. The handle is black walnut and has a very different grain to it. I also did a little airbrush shading on the sheath. I hope he likes it. Going to deliver it tomorrow. View attachment 52448View attachment 52449
How did the bear guide like his new knife? I bet he was blown away. That is one of my favorites so far!