Tool'n Knife Builds

tooln

5 year old buck +
I've been making knives for just about a year now. I started for shits and giggles just to see if I could do it. Turns out I can make a decent knife and I've even sold a few dozen. I've only sold them through FaceBook or Forums. In March I'm going to be going to a local gun/knife show put on by the Loyal Lions Club. This will be my first show as a vendor and at first I was hesitant about doing it. Then I talked to one of the guys in charge of the show and he said they have people who sell knives but they have never had a knife maker on site, so I'll be the first. I'm currently making a pair of knives that I plan to display at the show.

Not long ago a friend sent me a piece of hedge (osage orange) he had laying around that wasn't working for his project. I was able to get enough material from it to make a few knives. These will have a hidden tang with a brass guard, then 10-12 layers multi colored leather stacked. Then the handle will be finished off with his hedge that has some leather sandwiched between the 2 scales with brass pins. I plan to display these at the show I'm attending in March. One is almost complete and I've got to say it is turning out really nice. I'd have to say it's the best handle made to date. I'll post up some pics when I have them both done so stay tuned.

Here are the knives I was talking about. I also have a few in mind I want to get made for the show in March. I'm also working on a display and have patterns for some I want to get made for the show.

Attachments

• 20220201_131451.jpg
    20220201_131451.jpg
    479 KB · Views: 68
  • 20220201_131523.jpg
    20220201_131523.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220201_140721.jpg
    20220201_140721.jpg
    404.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220201_140643.jpg
    20220201_140643.jpg
    307.2 KB · Views: 65
Will you be offering any of these knives for sale after the show? Perhaps there’d be an interest from some of us here on the habitat talk?

Will you be offering any of these knives for sale after the show? Perhaps there’d be an interest from some of us here on the habitat talk?
The 2 pictured are taken. The others that are patterned will be up for grabs if they don't sell at the show. If anyone is interested all they need to do is send me PM. I also work with customers to custom design their blade, size, shape & handle.

Last edited:
I know most of you are to far away but also know some are fairly close. So from what I can find out there are going to be about 70 vendors at this show. This will be the first I attend as a vendor. So if your in the area or feel like a road trip stop in and say HI. Mention your from the forum if you like so I can out a face to the name. I'll be having a drawing for a $20 Kwik Trip gift card and $50 towards a knife purchase, Don't forget to register.

272843528_478864163826267_6558637924056132097_n.jpg

I've been busy making a few knives so I'd have something to display at the gun show that starts tomorrow. I have 7 for display, a photo album with several of my builds and this old dog learned a new trick today. I made a power point slide show to run showing almost all my builds. I made one sheath with a belt clip instead of a belt loop. Here's a pic of the knives I'm taking for display. I'll post a pic of my table tomorrow.
20220210_141043r.jpg20220210_142516r.jpg

Last edited:
All setup ready for opening. One other table selling knives, but I'm the only knife maker here. 20220211_133440.jpg

Good luck.

Well today's show went well. Lots of lookers and interest. A few showed a lot of interest. Made 1 sale on a custom build. If I get another tomorrow I'll be more than pleased.

Well today's show went well. Lots of lookers and interest. A few showed a lot of interest. Made 1 sale on a custom build. If I get another tomorrow I'll be more than pleased.
Your kinda like a rock star of knives now. Grin. Good on you Mike!

Your kinda like a rock star of knives now. Grin. Good on you Mike!
Well thanks Tom. Believe me I'm no where near a star. Just an old dog who learned a new trick. Making knives as you know started as let's see if I can do this. Turns out I can and did it pretty good. I've made over 2 dozen in the past year and still learning. I do have to say quality has gone up and I keep pushing myself to do better.

Sounds like a good show.

I'm thinking of expanding my offerings in my custom builds. Kicking around the idea of a stone washed blade. Just trying to get an idea of what people think of them. Here are some pics I pulled from the web.

download (1).jpgdownload (2).jpgdownload.jpgw_1_0000140_talon-skinner-blade-stone-wash-finish.jpeg

Younger Generation might like them.

I'm old enough to remember lots of shinny chrome on cars and always wondered why the Mennonites would paint it all black....
Windex- "it ain't cool if chrome doesn't shine" for those that don't remember that was actually in one of their ads.

My son has black rims on his trucks and hates all thing chrome so what do I know.

I attended another show the past 2 days. I have my laptop and a monitor set up with a slide show to show off some of my builds. It also have a couple of my test videos that run. Bill's tuna knife edge retention test is one of the videos I show and it is a big draw. People couldn't believe how I beat on them and they hold an edge. I do this to every knife I make and if it doesn't pass it doesn't go out. Here's that video again.

Damm the crap I don't think of.

Well today I stone washed and tumbled my first blade. It will get an Elk antler handle. Stone washed may not be for everyone but I want to be able to offer options. I'll post a pic once it's done.

lO
Damm the crap I don't think of.

Love it! May have to have you make a knife just so you have to use it.