Too Late For Persimonn Grafting?

TreesuitSC

5 year old buck +
Question? I have been advised to begin grafting when the persimon trees have leaves the size of a squirrel ear.

I have some that have no leaves at all but some that have larger leaves.

Is there a time where it is too late to graft?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

I wouldn’t be worried about it. Last year I top worked apples in early full leaf with no I’ll effects.

Don't get in too big of a hurry. You've got plenty of time. Persimmons need some 'heat' in order for grafts to callus in. Persimmons are still tightly dormant up here on the 6b7a interface just north of the KY/TN line.
If you're gonna be doing bark grafts... I've tried to do them too early in the season, in the past... even though they were pretty far along into leafing out, bark still wasn't slipping. I've learned, through the years, to have a bit of patience, and wait.
If you do simple whip/splice grafts, you might be OK now. First persimmons I ever grafted, I just did simple whip/splice grafts, just like apples... they all took, but no one had told me that persimmons were hard to graft at that time (they're not!).
Biggest thing with persimmons is diligence in keeping rootstock shoots below the graft rubbed off, at least once or twice weekly for the first growing season.

Question? I have been advised to begin grafting when the persimon trees have leaves the size of a squirrel ear.

I have some that have no leaves at all but some that have larger leaves.

Is there a time where it is too late to graft?

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
I would refer you to Grafting Persimmons: Step One & Step Two (QDMA) Osborn and Miller. They suggest cutting scions from January to early March and small enough to go into a gal. Ziploc. Wrap the scions in a damp (not wet) paper towel and put in the Ziploc and place in refrigerator until grafting time which they say May-July is best. I would suggest May-June. They go into all the details in their three page article. If you can’t find it, I can answer a lot of your questions. Hope this helps.