To early for rye?

ncstewart

5 year old buck +
I planted cereal rye this weekend and wondering if I'm way to early. I live in north Arkansas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My feed store told me they would get some in around Labor Day. If they had some this weekend I would have planted it. Maybe a tad too early but you should be fine.

K thanks

I planted this last week, I usually plant around labor day but no time around labor day this year. I'm in zone 5b so I'm not sure about you.

Lots of guys worry about planting rye too early. Unfounded concern in almost all cases. Especially when you are only talking 2 to 3 weeks or even a month. If you are in an area with early snow, your deer will actually thank you for getting a few extra inches of growth so they don't have to dig through it as much for food. One thing that gets lost for new northern plotters is that making the winter food easily accessible so the deer do not have to expend as much energy to get food is almost as important as having that food in the first place. So if you think you are a few weeks early, don't sweat it, get it in the ground and let your deer show you that it is not the end all, be all that we read about all the time. Most years we just rolled our rye seed down in late July after it ripened and our rye was always heavily used. No deer ever turned their noses up at it to my knowledge, they ate it every time they entered the plot.

To add to the above post, we would come back any time from the time we rolled last year's crop thru mid Sept and broadcast into the bare and sparsely populated areas to keep the plot full. 5 years out of 10 we got frost by Sept 20th.

Ok. Really appreciate the info

I planted this past Saturday as well AND..... it got a heavy rain less than 5 hours later, so I hope its not too early cause she is a germinating as we speak!

I put in 15 bags last Saturday too. Planted it the same time last year and had great results. I might still grab a few more bags to overseed the beans when they dry down, but I am happy with mid August planting results in MN.

I planted on the 10th of August this year in MN. Early as ive ever done it but I figured id try something new! We got 10" of rain on the 11th. Its already 5" high...

I planted on the 10th of August this year in MN. Early as I've ever done it but I figured id try something new! We got 10" of rain on the 11th. Its already 5" high...
So now tell me, how much more food is that area going to produce for the coming winter as opposed to planting in another week or so and only having it 5" tall by the time frost starts to slow it's growth.................;)