Throw and no-mow???

Powder

5 year old buck +
I have an area that at first glance would make a great foodplot. It's in an area that has very difficult access (walk-in only). It was an old, wide logging road that hasn't been used since it was logged about 10 years ago and you can't drive on the road any more. There is good plant growth in the open areas.

My question is this: If I were to go in there with a backpack sprayer with gly and then seed with brassicas, would this work? Or is mowing a critical step?

I haven't got a soil test yet but I will. For now, assume the soil is fine/adequate.

It should work well with small seeds like brassicas. If the existing stuff is real thick you might wait a few days between spraying and spreading. After it breaks down a bit there's more chances for your seed to get down to the soil.

Make sure you've got good chances for rain on the way. Mowings main purpose is to create thatch over the seed which works like mulch to hold in moisture.

Well, there is actually a second purpose. It is to allow sunlight to get to the seed. Leaving dead vegetation standing will likely reduce germination rates because of less sun and less moisture retention. That doesn't mean it won't work. It just introduces another element. I would probably up my seeding rate. If you can get an ATV in there, I'd simply tie a branch to your ATV and drag it behind. Provided the vegetation is dead, this will knock it down. Throw and mow is not the only approach. You can throw and roll effectively also. Dragging something behind an ATV is an attempt to get some of the same effect.

I'd be tempted to up my seeding rates a bit to compensate for lower germination.

Thanks,

Jack

Thanks yoder. That's exactly why I put this question on here. It's an outside chance, but possible, that I might be able to do that. This year I am putting up a camera to see if anyone else is hunting in the area. It's very remote so I have my fingers crossed. If I don't see anyone else this fall I think I will try to seed it and see what happens.

Glad to be of help. Hope it works out.

I would try it next spring. Spray it with gly and plant buckwheat around June 1st. Spray again in early August and plant rye. Use 1.5-2 times the recommended seeding rates. Coming from someone who throws, but doesn't mow ;).

Could you bring a weed whacker or brush saw? My plot is an area that was pine trees that were harvested. I'm not paying a couple grand to have the stumps removed so I just spread the seed and weed wacked it. I planted the LC mix and had pretty good germination. I overspread some 46-0-0 last week and it is growing pretty good. Granted we have had a lot of rain since I planted but it will definitely work. Bueller has some good advice too.

Here's a few pics before I spread
aeaa3777256f98b0734fce0bc11eda4e.jpg
out the nitrogen
671b2b8d5d03ab2529d93ee670d78e21.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I spread my seed last sunday, a week ago. Grass was standing knee high. Sprayed on Monday. It rained on it Sunday, thats the reason i waited until Monday to spray. Grass will lay down by itself usually within 7-10 days. Yoder, i disagree about the sunlight issue. I actually think standing grass will allow more sunlight than a matt of grass. I may have to roll some dog fennel down. Plan on going down this week and i'll see how its doing.

I spread my seed last sunday, a week ago. Grass was standing knee high. Sprayed on Monday. It rained on it Sunday, thats the reason i waited until Monday to spray. Grass will lay down by itself usually within 7-10 days. Yoder, i disagree about the sunlight issue. I actually think standing grass will allow more sunlight than a matt of grass. I may have to roll some dog fennel down. Plan on going down this week and i'll see how its doing.

Blum,

It depends on the weeds. You are right that some weeds at some densities may allow mow light in when standing. It also depends on the time of year. In the summer when the sky is high in the sky, standing weeds do let in more sun. As the year progresses into fall and the sun is at a lower angle in the sky, they can shade more. Also, consider that standing plants, even though dead, don't desiccate as quickly as when mowed. The mower breaks them down allowing more access to microbes which are also more available at ground level.

You are right that you can get thatch so thick that it can reduce sunlight but the same can be true if it is standing.

Thanks,

Jack

I am a rookie, 1st year plotting, so take this with a grain of salt.

I created an "opening" off an old logging trail where I cut loads of cedars and tag alders. All stumps were left behind. I then sprayed with Gly/AMS 2 times and got it all burned down. I sprayed Garlon4/diesel on the tag alder stumps. I spread 400#s of lime and 150#s of triple 19 as a Hope and a Prayer and that is basically what I have called this spot. This was done with a chest spreader (lots of cranks LOL). I broadcast seed (brassicas, oats, WR, clover, and Northern Mix High Sugar rye grass (this due to not expecting anything else to take and the HS part is liked by the deer from what I read) into all of the dead stuff with no roll, cut, etc. We had .15" or rain the next day. I was shocked at how well this took off and the deer are really eating it up.

DSC02409.JPG 09020290 (002).JPG DSC00121.JPG

I hope that ryegrass does not become a problem for you.

From what I understand, the Northern Sweet Spot HS ryegrass is not your standard ryegrass. The deer are eating it up. This area is kind of a dump and I am actually surprised anything grew there as it can be kinda swampy in there too. I was very willing to take a flier on it. Everything else I planted in there is growing too, what the deer are allowing to grow anyway. Now, I'm thinking of getting a dozer in there this winter to expand it and get rid of the stumps and that would take care of anything I planted in there. So far, so good. I know I'd never put that stuff in a standard plot, but am OK with it where it is.

http://sucraseed.com/sweet-spot/

From what I understand, the Northern Sweet Spot HS ryegrass is not your standard ryegrass. The deer are eating it up. This area is kind of a dump and I am actually surprised anything grew there as it can be kinda swampy in there too. I was very willing to take a flier on it. Everything else I planted in there is growing too, what the deer are allowing to grow anyway. Now, I'm thinking of getting a dozer in there this winter to expand it and get rid of the stumps and that would take care of anything I planted in there. So far, so good. I know I'd never put that stuff in a standard plot, but am OK with it where it is.

http://sucraseed.com/sweet-spot/

It is true that some high sucrose ryegrass have some difference in characteristics including deer preference over the ryegrass you typically find in BOB mixes. You may be much more experienced with what you are planting. There are clearly experienced folks who have found a way to incorporate high sucrose ryegrass into their programs. There are clearly situations where it can contribute. I just hope it ends up working out well for you.

Thanks,

Jack