New Food Plot

jonezzy026

Yearling... With promise
My property is currently being logged and i’m wanting to put in a food plot at the top of a ridge for this season but they are currently using the area as a skid trail. What is something I can plant in the fall that the deer will want. It’s not great soil so I feel my options are limited but there is good sunlight. I read up on clover and it said a fall planting wouldn’t give enough time for the clover to have enough nutrients for the deer to want it, is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you located and when will you be able to plant your new plot?

Winter rye can be planted later in the fall than anything else I know about, but it doesn't grow much if planted too late when the weather is cold. In Minnesota, I've seen some really great looking winter rye cover crops that were planted in early September.

Where are you located and when will you be able to plant your new plot?

Winter rye can be planted later in the fall than anything else I know about, but it doesn't grow much if planted too late when the weather is cold. In Minnesota, I've seen some really great looking winter rye cover crops that were planted in early September.

Located in Central Missouri, should be able to plant anytime after mid july.

You have lots of options. Get a soil test done now so you can add lime and/or fertilizer as required. I would add the lime as soon as possible and then if the nutrients are sufficient for brassicas and clover, that would be a good option. If the soil is bad, winter rye will grow just about anywhere, so I'd plant that in August and maybe add a little clover and a few brassicas for some variety.

I am also in central Missouri (Crawford County). I usually stick with a variation of simple Rye, Oats, radish and medium red clover for my fall plots. My plots are small, less that a half acre each, and have been carved out of forest and logging roads so you will probably have similar soils. It’s rocky ground and very acidic but a little lime every year seems to make them better over time. I haven’t done a soil test in a couple years but that was a great starting point for me. Our biggest issue in this area over the last few years has been enough moisture to get the plots started.

Ridge tops are notoriously dry. I live in SW AR, so we can plant a fair bit later than you - but I wait until early to mid Oct to plant in hopes of cooler temps and maybe some rain. As such, I dont have time for brassicas. I limit my planting to grains - wheat or rye, and white clover. The clover will not make anything for hunting season. I always think of the wheat for me to hunt over and the clover for summer protein for the deer

If you're logging in Missouri right now, you're probably going to have some compaction. I've had zero luck with rye in compacted soil. What has worked it japanese millet and flax. Flax ain't a top choice of the deer, but it's a good one for compaction, as is JM. if you don't have compaction, you can plant about anything you want. If they don't alleviate the compaction, I'd throw on flax, JM, white clover, chicory, plantain, and maybe some white sweet clover. Let that run for 3 years, and it should get loosened back up.

I'd do some rye, radish, turnip. Then throw some clover and chicory that will come on in the spring along with the rye. Just have to mow a couple of times next year to combat the weeds and will have clover and chicory plot ready to take off in the spring. jmo

Buckwheat this summer and then rye/clover/turnip mix this fall. Repeat next year or if the plot improves enough by next year go whatever route suits your fancy. This is how we have started all our plots in the woods or logged areas we have started. We have done several and had good luck with this strategy.

I’d till it up and do a radish on radish rotation all summer long. Plant about every 45-60 days.

I’d follow that up with whitetail institute Fusion about Sept 1st for your area. The annual clover will be your attraction this year while the perennial element puts down roots for next season. Overseed with about 100-150# per acre of rye around September 1-15 and let R buck.