Things deer don't like to step on

B

bat man

What don't deer like to walk on? Rocks, fence - any experience?

I have one little stretch of access that it would be nice if the deer quit going across it.

November,
How thick do you plant your pumpkins? I didn't think the liked walking thought the prickly vines. I know they will eat the flowers but if you planted a wide enough strip do they go in the middle of the patch?

I have one little stretch of access that it would be nice if the deer quit going across it.
You either have to make it more dangerous for the deer and they risk injury or not being able to escape a predator or that it requires more energy - a lot more energy to go over or thru than it does to go around.

Deer will avoid areas of deep mud and sand as they sink in that and they avoid areas of large rocks because footing is very difficult from what I have seen on my place.

How big of an area are we talking here?

Rocks and stones. They'll cross them if they have to, but they try to avoid them IME.

I remember Gene Wensel claiming 5+ YO bucks avoid rough ground like rocks. He cleared a path in some rocky areas that they used.

However, scale is a big question. How much clearing is optimum? No clue on that.

I was thinking of the old cattle crossings that I have seen out west. My Dad used to have one in northern Mn.

They kept cattle from crossing.

Sandbur and I are on the same page, mulies and antelope won't cross them out west, crazy the trail they use is just off to side and beaten to the ground. That is why I asked how big the area was.

2 pallets in a row with tight sides. Think cattle grate, been using it for several years with good success.

Ok - I'm lost - what are you guys talking about "cattle gate"???? This isn't like headlight fluid, or muffler bearings is it?:D

OK - I follow now. I guess I figured batman was not worried about a specific location but more of the entire length of the access path. That was why it wasn't adding up. A spot specific thing like this I would think the deer would simply move the 8 or 12 feet further down the path and cross there.