Adding a walk board to my drill?

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
tempImageZrPMEQ.jpg

So.....I was looking at this picture.....and got an idea to add a second "walk board" on the back of my drill. I'm getting old and it's hard to access those seed hoppers via the "stirrup" that Great Plains puts on these drills. I was hauling a small ladder along....but its a PITA to do so. I never use those "stirrups" as they are not ergonomic enough for this old body. Maybe 20 years ago I could perform such a feat. Now I have been standing on the press wheels.....but that is not a real smart thing to do (slippery).

What I am considering is moving both of those "stirrups" about a foot toward the back of the drill where there are some unused holes already drilled (see the pic). Then it would be easy to add a second walk board across the back....to make a two-step access to fill those hoppers and check during operation. . Thus I would gain access onto the top board without risking life and limb. Seems you always need to look into the box when drilling seeds. Do ya'll think that second step would cause any issues with the operation of the drill?

(I know I would have to move my foam marker drops...no big deal).

Those stirrups do seem to be an ACL/MCL injury waiting to happen

bill

I hate those stirrups. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Mine is a pull type so I step on the slippery drive wheel😖

Is there any chance the press wheels could flex up into it during operation? Other than that, it seems like a great idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I will do a test fit next week.

I had a little time this morning.....so I made the 15 minute jaunt to my land to see how that walk board idea would work. I drilled 4 holes and moved the stirrups to the new location. Laid a cedar board temporarily where my step will be just to show how it looks. I like it......and it will provide one 24" step up and about another 12" step to the top. I cannot leap 3 feet in one bound....grin.....but this seems quite do-able. Now I gotta find a steel 8 to 9" wide walk board. Maybe some scaffolding? Are you looking Great Plains? Grin.

Edit: I will need to relocate those foam marker drop nozzles.....but that is no big deal. Kinda wanted them lower anyway.
tempImagepMtWJX.jpgtempImagezBWFnV.jpg

Last edited:
Sure is a pretty piece of wood for a step.

I would hinge the front of new board to flip up to get at stuff below it as needed

I would hinge the front of new board to flip up to get at stuff below it as needed
Yeah, maybe if it was the factory doing it........but I dont see a need to make a hinged step here. There is plenty of clearance to get at anything needed. Stay tuned.

Yesterday I found some bar grate material that seemed good for my step. They cut it to size and I fitted to my drill this morning using some u-bolts off an old boat hoist (I seem to use boat scavenged hoist material for so many things) and I made some angles to attach to the bolts and drill (out of some free, scavenged, bed frame material). Free steel is good!

Anyway, I am pretty satisfied with this step. It's about the maximum height to climb up onto the walk board.....but it will do nicely. I do not think there are any operational issues......other than I need to relocate the drop nozzles for the foam marker.

I was a bit concerned about how much weight this bar grate can carry......so I put two 2x4" on the floor and placed the new step on the boards and stood in the middle - to check the deflection. Not bad at all......tho I may use the sides to climb up....as that is where the hand grip is anyway.
tempImagerxNcZg.jpg
tempImageHPlFpG.jpg

Yesterday I found some bar grate material that seemed good for my step. They cut it to size and I fitted to my drill this morning using some u-bolts off an old boat hoist (I seem to use boat scavenged hoist material for so many things) and I made some angles to attach to the bolts and drill (out of some free, scavenged, bed frame material). Free steel is good!

Anyway, I am pretty satisfied with this step. It's about the maximum height to climb up onto the walk board.....but it will do nicely. I do not think there are any operational issues......other than I need to relocate the drop nozzles for the foam marker.

I was a bit concerned about how much weight this bar grate can carry......so I put two 2x4" on the floor and placed the new step on the boards and stood in the middle - to check the deflection. Not bad at all......tho I may use the sides to climb up....as that is where the hand grip is anyway.
View attachment 55071
View attachment 55082

You are the MacGyver of habitat gadgetry ... 👊

You are the MacGyver of habitat gadgetry ... 👊
LOL...Yep, I enjoy ingenuity on stuff like this. Relocated my foam marker lines this afternoon and buttoned up this job. Too freaking hot to do more today I even skipped golf due to the heat. Mowed my building site in air conditoned comfort.....and went to the DQ.

Last edited:
Nicely done!