Kohlrabi Experiences

Foggy47

5 year old buck +
OK....just saw Deer Creek Seeds offering Kohlrabi seed at $17.95 / lb. Always wondered what that crop may do in a deer plot....and considering adding it into a mix with other brassicas. Any words of wisdom here? or any experience with this crop? It would seem like a natural to me......and I think they are easy to grow. Not sure how drought tolerant. etc.

I grew them one yr. Don't remember much about them other than there was plenty left over at the end of the growing season for personal use. Didn't personally like them so they rotted.

Not much experience, only one year at the old place. I added a couple pounds to my brassica mix. I didn’t see a single bulb. PTT and Winfred did just fine though.

We grow them here in the garden and they are great to eat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not much experience, only one year at the old place. I added a couple pounds to my brassica mix. I didn’t see a single bulb. PTT and Winfred did just fine though.

We grow them here in the garden and they are great to eat.

Nope, nope, nope... not "great" to eat. Probably a close second to last with tiny yellow fish.

Nope, nope, nope... not "great" to eat. Probably a close second to last with tiny yellow fish.
When I was a kid.....it was a special treat to eat a fresh kohlrabi out of our garden.....about like eating an apple.

Peel them, slice them and put them in a bowl of water in the fridge. It’s a crunchy snack. Thats how you know it’s summer. Well, that and the ticks.

They are decent with a little salt sprinkled on them. My inlaws eat plenty of them. I'm not a big fan but...

I grow them for myself. The slugs and rain make sure they don't last past November. You would probably have different results in a better climate, but it sounds pretty gimmicky to me.

I'd shred it up and make coleslaw out of it. Had rabbit problems in my old house garden. They didn't mess with that plant much. I'm kind of suspecting deer won't hit it too hard. But, I've seen deer and rabbits have diferent preferences on stuff though.

Seed drill, give it a shot. Broadcast no-till, I'd say pass on it. Maybe empty the seed boxes, then mix them into the seed on a corner of a food plot to see how it does.

Far as critters eating it, you'd be better with the green ones than the purple.

Us Krauts used to call it is celery root salad....when prepared properly (vinegar, celery seed and ????) its pretty tastey. That said- we always had it in the garden and my grandfather and i were the only ones to eat it